Xbox 360 Bethesda's lack of commitment

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JClarke1953

I was watching the COD preview on my iPad yesterday, and watched all of the changes and pretty cool stuff going on with the game. Even though I don't play it (to fast paced for this Old N00b), I wondered why Bethesda doesn't have the same kind of commitment toward what they do, especially Skyrim.

There is so much more they could have done, I think all of us know that. It just seems they lacked the commitment to the game, and to the people who bought the game and the DLC's. I've heard the Elder Scrolls, the preclude to Skyrim were pretty popular, so what stopped their commitment to this popular franchise?

I tried getting the last "power word" in ,y Shouts yesterday, but it seems you can't just got to the location and get it. It seems it has to be a quest/job (radiant, so there's no telling if/when you might get it). Bethesda's refusal to fix Arcwind Point has prevented me for acquiring the half dozen or so final Words. Arcwind Point was the only place I could go to without Arngier telling me, but, it's the only place he'll send me to, even though I've already been there. Even when told to go there, it never leaves the quest log.

I also wonder why nothing was allowed for the Dragonborn to go "rogue"? Like putting on Mirrak's armor, and finishing what he started? Or being the Vamp Lord? The only consequence for going "rogue" is a bounty. Whoop-de-do! There's so much more I think many of us know that Bethesda could have, should have done to make Skyrim and the DLC's much more fun, playable and more immersive. I believe so many of the glitches and bugs could have been prevented before game production. Especially the DLC's.

But they refused to, and continually lied to those of us who bought this great (yet could have been Epic) game! Yet other game producers remain committed to the franchise they've created, even improving on the improvements. Looking and listening to the fans, instead of....well, whatever Bethesda thought was more important.

Anyhow, just voicing my .02 worth on this. Just do not understand why Bethesda quit on this game, and on the fans of this game.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
That is a topic that has been on my mind recently as well. Put simply, Skyrim feels far from incomplete, and its been out for years! There aren't too many games in my library I can make such a complaint about.

Recently, I did a play-through as a thief for the first time (what? I got so caught up with the other guilds and my RP characters in game that I never did this one) and purchased Hearthfire as well. While the thief guild story was satisfactory and the notion behind building houses was a novelty at first, I simply cannot believe the number of bugs this game has. I never have patience for a game wit this many bugs, but yet, here I am, 60 hours into another character. Why do we do it?

Honestly, we are a very forgiving fanbase. Perhaps that is why Bethesda can ship off an unfinished product. We'll still buy it. Sure, a lot of people mod it almost immediately after purchasing it, but not all of us have gaming PCs. Those of us with an Xbox are left going back to previous saves frequently or struggling to remain interested in a character even before finishing a quest line because the rewards don't seem worth it.

Some of my greatest video game experiences have come from Skyrim and other TES titles, but some of my worst have come from thee games as well. It reminds me of being a Packer fan as a kid. I loved Brett Favre as he was always there on Sunday and always gave the team a chance. He would have a game where he would throw 5 touchdowns and 350 yards ...and then the next week he'd throw 4 interceptions and one touchdown and lose the game. It almost became this love hate thing where whenever the ball went up in the air with the game on the line, I would hold my breath and clutch at something nervously.

Skyrim has been that way for me. "Is this the time I have a great time journeying from Riften to Windhelm or is the time the Dragon glitches and flies about the place haphazardly searching for me or anything else that might poise a threat, such as bunnies or mudcrabs? Is this the time the game freezes inexplicably, or perhaps where I lsoe the inability to interact with anything for a while? Even worse, maybe this is the time I hop down that little hill and then promptly disappear into it..." I could do this all day.

Sorry for ranting, but sometimes I do wonder why I spend the money I do on these games when they are brand-new if Bethesda is willing to sell us a faulty product?

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I agree. A lot of aspects of the game seem unfinished, or amateur. Some graphics are stunning while others look like they're made by a five year old. Some questlines have a lot more meat to them, and are well thought-out, but some are way too short or often lack a supported story. Some features of the game seem really unfinished. I've noticed that the game is fairly unfinished, in many aspects... although, there are a lot of good things about it too.

JClarke1953

What I wonder is, if the otherroducer's of video games can commit to their product, why won't Bethesda?

They lied/read a script to many of us who called about the game stopping bugs, and did next to nothing about them. I cannot get the half dozen or so final "power word's" because of the Arcwind Point bug. And they knew of it for quite some time!

They didn't, don't seem to care about keeping a fan base, customer's, so I'll oblige them. I'm extremely picky about what games I buy, especially since I'm on a fixed income. So,if it has your name on it Bethesda, I won't be buying it! I won't buy into the reviews (as I did with Skyrim) by magazines.

For that matter, although I doubt it will matter to you, I won't be buying into any of your future games. I mean, how can I, why should I trust that you'll not do with upcoming games, and to us, like you did with Skyrim and the DLC's (especially Hearthfire).

But then, I'm sure you don't care. After all, I'm just one customer whose money you did get, this time.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
Simply put, JClarke, Bethesda doesn't have to polish the game before releasing it because we will purchase it anyway. We are so eager for the next installment of The Elder Scrolls that are willing to overlook certain issues that arise right away. That said, (at least for me) it seems as if the main questline has few bugs initially. In fact, my first play-through as a dragonborn was enjoyable. It has just been doing anything else that has been made difficult by these bugs and the corners that the development team cut short.

There are several other elements that make me wonder how good the game might have been had they actually finished Skyrim.

> Voice acting. Aside from a rare few exceptions such as Cicero, the voice acting can be summed as repetitive. There are times where I wonder if only two guys voice all of the Nords in Skyrim. Could they not have sprung for a few more actors to provide a little diversity?

> School of Magic. What is the incentive to use anything aside from Enchanting or Destruction? I've tried them all with mixed results, but it is clear that these are the only two school that really matter in late game. By then, there are so may potions available that you don't need restoration. Seems to me like all of the schools, even the two useful ones, are only half-done. Like they had a good idea, started it, and then stopped before executing it properly.

> Environment. So, physics are not necessarily a science in Skyrim are they? There are times that my character disappears into a tree or into the ground and other times when only certain things can be interacted with until I reload the environment. Most of the time, the environment is pretty but what good is pretty if the only means of interaction is by pulling up weeds and flowers for potions? Why can't we climb trees? Why can't we buy some rope, some hooks, some spikes for our boots, and climb a cliff face? You are telling me that the Nords in Skyrim have never thought to themselves, "Gee, wouldn't it be handy to scale this cliff to get to the other side?" A society that lives near and around mountains should have a means of climbing them. Also missing: The ability to set up a campsite, getting potion ingredients from trees (honestly, what are these trees for aside from lumber and scenery?), digging for treasure, or anything else that involves manipulating the environment. The only two things that you can interact with aside from plants are ore veins and animals that you can hunt. But with the animals, have you ever noticed how sometimes you kill a deer with massive horns and you'll only hgave the option to collect a deer hide and small horns or no horns at all? Sorry for making this one so long, but the environment has become remarkably boring at this stage for me. Exploration is simply walking from one point to another and pretending to be excited by the random altar I find with a body I can loot.

> Artificial Intelligence and Combat. So terrible. In this day of computing technology, why in the name of Talos does everyone in Skyrim only have three strategies for attacking the dragonborn? You get mobbed by a group of warriors whilst the archers try to ping you with arrows and the spellcasters rain fire or ice on you. Sounds good right? No, its not. They don't work together in any way to defeat you. You don't have one guy keeping you busy so that the other two melee guys can create a circle or any basic strategies like that whatsoever. Which means you have two ways to approach a potential encounter: to Sneak or Not to Sneak. You can attempt to kill everyone silently or you can run in, war hammer glinting in the torchlight as you smash your foes to bits. Mindless really. Even games like the first HALO had better AI when it came to combat. And this is without mentioning the bugs such as dragons attacking EVERTHING in the vicinity BUT you, such as mudcrabs or your horse.

I'll stop here because this post is getting lengthy, but to be honest, there is more I could put in here. For example, Combat from horseback sucks whereas it should be the most powerful form...and why can't your followers ride horses?

I understand that it is a game and after you've spent hundreds of hours playing one, you start to notice where the holes in the development or the story are, but nothing even touches how terribly unfinished Skyrim is.

jarif

Maybe because they have been working on it for a long time? It's probably because they just leave to the imagination of the community which by that I mean the modding community. I saw a interview about wearbears and Todd Howards said they put them their for the modders.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
Doing so, Jarif, alienates those of us who do not have modding skills, a pc, or a desire to so. A finished, polished product should not be too much to ask for. Even if it means a smaller world, I'd rather have a better gaming experience.

jarif

Doing so, Jarif, alienates those of us who do not have modding skills, a pc, or a desire to so. A finished, polished product should not be too much to ask for. Even if it means a smaller world, I'd rather have a better gaming experience.

I know what you mean, people complain its because the PS3 or Xbox 360 are pretty much outdated compared to a modern PC. Maybe when PS4 or Xbox One is out :D then we can expect something, you know more awesome and maybe polished but a new TES game doesn't come out for a while (exluding ESO), luckily we have Fallout 4, just look at the potential that has for next gen.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
What I wonder is, if the otherroducer's of video games can commit to their product, why won't Bethesda?

They lied/read a script to many of us who called about the game stopping bugs, and did next to nothing about them. I cannot get the half dozen or so final "power word's" because of the Arcwind Point bug. And they knew of it for quite some time!

They didn't, don't seem to care about keeping a fan base, customer's, so I'll oblige them. I'm extremely picky about what games I buy, especially since I'm on a fixed income. So,if it has your name on it Bethesda, I won't be buying it! I won't buy into the reviews (as I did with Skyrim) by magazines.

For that matter, although I doubt it will matter to you, I won't be buying into any of your future games. I mean, how can I, why should I trust that you'll not do with upcoming games, and to us, like you did with Skyrim and the DLC's (especially Hearthfire).

But then, I'm sure you don't care. After all, I'm just one customer whose money you did get, this time.

Lol... I've read posts where you have said that you've run out of things to do in Skyrim. If that is true, then you've spent hundreds of hours playing Skyrim at least. So now that you don't have anything else to do and you feel the game has nothing left to offer you, it's time to sling mud at Bethesda?

Sorry, this thread is ridiculous.

Further, So what if Arcwind Point is bugged. You can still find Shouts without the Greybeards spoon feeding you. Jeez.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
Bethesda hasn't quit on us and they rushed pretty fast to fix bugs that were game breaking pretty damn quickly. I too have read your past posts and am kind of wondering...why are you even complaining at this stage? Bethesda is not all knowing all seeing, but then again they have a history of releasing games with more than a few bugs. We (meaning the modding community) also fix what they overlook or don't fix, and Bethesda has always been very generous about making there games almost infinitely moddable. I know this is of little use to the console players, and I do sympathize...truly I do as not everybody wants/can/will game on a PC and that's understandable. But seriously, this post is baffling to me only in as much as your past posting history regarding this vey game.

As far as the graphics, when you develop a game for 3 different systems, then you have to make things somewhat universal, as not every pc is the same and the consoles are using technology that is what? 6-8 years old or older in some cases? Unless you develop software for a living and see the hurdles that have to be surpassed to get a game to run universally well on those platforms...well you end up having to make things look as well as you can w/o going too far overboard. But, to each his/her own. I'll still be buying Bethesda's games as long as they keep making them like they have been....a good, well rounded package that tries to appease most of us, but will inevitably fail to appease all of us.

jarif

Lol... I've read posts where you have said that you've run out of things to do in Skyrim. If that is true, then you've spent hundreds of hours playing Skyrim at least. So now that you don't have anything else to do and you feel the game has nothing left to offer you, it's time to sling mud at Bethesda?

Further, So what if Arcwind Point is bugged. You can still find Shouts without the Greybeards spoon feeding you. Jeez.

if that is true than its move on skyrim or mod it, but that completely up to you

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter

This thread raises a good point, actually. While it is true everyone has a different experience, it is also true that ALL of my playthroughs have ended because the bugs had mounted and the game was no longer playable. Hearthfire is the first DLC for a game that I ever regretted, and the first one I ever had to uninstall because it made the game so buggy I stopped playing for weeks in frustration. As a result, I do not plan to purchase Dragonborn or Dawnguard, as I despise wasting money on things that don't work properly. This is not "slinging" mud at Skyrim, this is just admitting what is true.

Bethesda hasn't quit on us and they rushed pretty fast to fix bugs that were game breaking pretty damn quickly. I too have read your past posts and am kind of wondering...why are you even complaining at this stage? Bethesda is not all knowing all seeing, but then again they have a history of releasing games with more than a few bugs. We (meaning the modding community) also fix what they overlook or don't fix, and Bethesda has always been very generous about making there games almost infinitely moddable. I know this is of little use to the console players, and I do sympathize...truly I do as not everybody wants/can/will game on a PC and that's understandable. But seriously, this post is baffling to me only in as much as your past posting history regarding this vey game.

As far as the graphics, when you develop a game for 3 different systems, then you have to make things somewhat universal, as not every pc is the same and the consoles are using technology that is what? 6-8 years old or older in some cases? Unless you develop software for a living and see the hurdles that have to be surpassed to get a game to run universally well on those platforms...well you end up having to make things look as well as you can w/o going too far overboard. But, to each his/her own. I'll still be buying Bethesda's games as long as they keep making them like they have been....a good, well rounded package that tries to appease most of us, but will inevitably fail to appease all of us.

To be fair, Skyrim has many points to celebrate including fantastic storylines, immersive gameplay, a large world to play around in, and so on, etc etc. Those virtues are extolled from one end of this forum to the next and it should be stated that my comments at least were made with that in mind. However, we shouldn't ignore the unfinished elements in the game either. Saying its fine because many people mod it later is unfair to those of us who don't mod. We should get a finished product the first time, or at least the second time after they've fixed the initial bugs.

This is not about pleasing a certain set of gamers, this is just about justifying spending our time and money on a company's game. Putting personal preferences about voice acting and gameplay elements aside, I'd rather not have quests stop working due to bugs, or my character falling through the environment. There is no gaming universe in which these things should be allowed to exist, and we usually judge a game based on and fun the experience is. Never finishing a playthrough is not fun, and deserves as much mention as all the fun I did have in Skyrim.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
Despite Skyrim's many flaws, I do love the game and I still play it and make new characters, to this day. Heck, I'm playing Oblivion right now! I think Bethesda has done a good job at making an immersive series that you can easily replay over and over. Any game has flaws, though, and I have a horrible habit of pointing them out, even though there's many brilliant aspects that I overlook sometimes.

JClarke1953

For one, maybe you can go find the rest of the Word's, but for me to do that is pointless. I've already gone after several of the half dozen I'm missing. Nothing happens when I arrive at the wall (and I revisit the first two Wall's before going after the third to make sure). So, looking them up, then going to the locations is pointless. Why you assumed I hadn't made an effort escapes me.

As for the rest of my post, well, we all have our own opinion(s) about how Bethesda handled, or didn't handle Skyrim and/or the DLC's. I just know if I had done the "uncommitted" quality of work for my customers as Bethesda did for us, I'd have been out of a job.

Anyhow, all I'm doing now is hitting all of the places I've already been in, while looking for possible unexplored areas at the same time.

FarmGirl

Work is really cutting into my gaming time.
I have spent 1,362 hours in Skyrim as of today. I just thank Bethesda and the modders for giving me something interesting and engrossing I can do in the last year and a half of a recovery from an illness. I really can't complain about Skyrim, bugs and all. Its part of the experience at this point.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
If Bethesda had the same commitment as "improving" and "innovating" their games as Activision has with their COD series, we'd still be playing a game that looks like Oblivion. I don't understand how you could think the new COD game looks any different aside from a couple new guns and maps maybe, it's an absurd observation. The difference between Oblivion and Skyrim is astounding, unlike each new COD game.

I do agree tho, bugs and glitches should never be "apart of the experience", that's just tacky programming. I love (or loved, don't play it anymore) Skyrim but the lack of programming details is apparent within the first 10 minutes of playing the game. The odd bug and/or glitch can be easily overlooked but with Skyrim its way to rampant to not see how little time Bethesda put into this issue. I realize its a big game with a lot to put into it, but come on, console players run into fatal errors all the time.

I'll keep buying their games, I love them, but not on the console. I honestly don't think I would've played it nearly as long without the modding community.

Just because some bugs can be worked around doesn't mean we shouldn't comment on them, what logic is that? What part of this thread is ridiculous? That someone doesn't seem to like Bethesda or that you deny the existence of the countless bugs in the game? The thread title describes how Bethesda has treated Skyrim exactly how it is.

You sound like a fanboy, he's just stating the obvious problem of bugs and that he won't be buying them again even if he's got hundreds of hours in it, so what? Are we just supposed to sit around this forum asking the same questions all the time, "hey wut lvl is ur char" "i love bethesda skyrim so good" "omg snow elf".

A little criticism is allowed, even if its sprinkled with a tiny bit of hypocrisy.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
If Bethesda had the same commitment as "improving" and "innovating" their games as Activision has with their COD series, we'd still be playing a game that looks like Oblivion. I don't understand how you could think the new COD game looks any different aside from a couple new guns and maps maybe, it's an absurd observation. The difference between Oblivion and Skyrim is astounding, unlike each new COD game.

I do agree tho, bugs and glitches should never be "apart of the experience", that's just tacky programming. I love (or loved, don't play it anymore) Skyrim but the lack of programming details is apparent within the first 10 minutes of playing the game. The odd bug and/or glitch can be easily overlooked but with Skyrim its way to rampant to not see how little time Bethesda put into this issue. I realize its a big game with a lot to put into it, but come on, console players run into fatal errors all the time.

I'll keep buying their games, I love them, but not on the console. I honestly don't think I would've played it nearly as long without the modding community.

Just because some bugs can be worked around doesn't mean we shouldn't comment on them, what logic is that? What part of this thread is ridiculous? That someone doesn't seem to like Bethesda or that you deny the existence of the countless bugs in the game? The thread title describes how Bethesda has treated Skyrim exactly how it is.

You sound like a fanboy, he's just stating the obvious problem of bugs and that he won't be buying them again even if he's got hundreds of hours in it, so what? Are we just supposed to sit around this forum asking the same questions all the time, "hey wut lvl is ur char" "i love bethesda skyrim so good" "omg snow elf".

A little criticism is allowed, even if its sprinkled with a tiny bit of hypocrisy.
I'm sorry I don't see it as a case of "Fanboy" syndrome at all. He's commenting on the "Other" posts made by the original poster. Go look them up to give you some reference of what he is talking about.
Look, the game has been out now for what? Almost 2 years now? The technology behind the game is now considered old, and is being passed by other newer titles each and every month. If you don't like the game(s) and the way they are done....bugs and all....then speak with your wallet and not on an "Unofficial" forum board. That simple. Working in the industry (yes I do work in this very industry) I know how hard it is to release a game for several different platforms. Each one uses some proprietary programming, and having to make a product that runs well on all 3 is not easy, but then again Bethesda is KNOWN for releasing games with more than a few bugs in them. This is as common knowledge as common can get within the industry. They try to make-up for that by releasing patches in quick succession and by using us, to a certain degree, as there beta testers if you will. I know it can leave a bad taste in ones mouth, and it can certainly taint your opinion of them when it comes to how they release product. Sure it does and that's normal. But, BUT...as I said this is common with them and nothing new.
The posts here are always the same: Someone starts to bitch and moan about how they did this wrong or that wrong...and what Lotus is talking about...well you need to go look for yourself. To call him a fanboy to me isn't right, but then again....a lot of the content here is rehashed over and over and over and over. Same people griping about how the world is unfair, and same...."Sooth Sayers" and "All Knowing All Seeing" people come out of the woodwork to critique. Yet, all of you bought the game. Bought it knowing HOW Bethesda does things. Makes one wonder doesn't it?
The only 3 people to post here that have made good sense is Matt, Lotus and Crook. The rest is recycled same old same old. Time to go to another forum instead of letting what little sanity I have left rot away. I messaged you Rayven to ban my account for me please. I have asked it be removed as with my reasons explained to you, I am now a Moderator on other boards that can conflict with an "Unofficial" one such as this (even being a member). Those of you that have become friends of mine, I shall continue to see you on STEAM and at the tournaments (we had a blast this past E3 didn't we?) The rest of you, good luck with all your goals in life, and may you all continue to have many grand adventures in the great world of gaming. Peace to you all. Now, Ban this fluffing account goddamnit.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Skyrim was aimed at younger audience, stepping further and further from their RPG element. What you do in game has no affect, you can join all the Guilds on one play through, do everything on one character. It is simply aimed at a different audience which is probably why many TES gamers find faults in the series they love.

Look at other RPG games, things that give you various choices, consequences and rewards for your actions in different quests.

Skyrim is a great game, but it is probably the most dumb down Elder Scrolls game. It holds your hand the entire way, Skyrim gives you the illusion of choice.

You can either do a quest or turn off the quest marker. There are no other options, you only have really one choice when doing quests, you can't change the outcome.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts