• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lethennon

The best shout is hands down without question Slow Time with all three words.

Add in Dragon Aspect and you are completely unstoppable on master difficulty

One shout can let you get off 3 firestorms, or 10+ ice spears, or cut down 5 - 6 enemies with solid enchants and custom swords. My build is an assassin destruction hybrid. I can slit the throats of 8 people with the last happening as the shout expires.

The possibilities are endless, and the CD is minuscule as shouts go.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Dragon Aspect is waaay better than slow time. After that it has to be just plain situational.

Lethennon

That is an invalid comparison. Dragon Aspect is a BUFF, an active effect with a 24 hour reset time, while Slow Time is more like a temporary attack/defense boost, with a very small cool down.

You don't use JUST Dragon Aspect. You use Dragon Aspect (5 second cool down) THEN a shout. Which buffs Slow time by a magnitude of 1.0 I believe.

Dragon aspect -20% CD, Amulet of Thalos -20% CD + Stop time with 3 words. With this combination you can literally stop time, burn down 3 - 4 enemies with your chosen method. Wait 5 - 10 seconds, then Stop time AGAIN.

Hands down, Slow Time is the best shout. Especially so when coupled with Dragon Aspect. It is the only shout I have found that lets you boost every offensive style, yet still manages to offer a small enough cool down that you can use it effectively multiple times in a fight.

You can slow time and;

Archery: fire 10 - 15 arrows, killing any number of people. I like to slow time when i have archers on the walls around me and snipe them all, an arrow for each, before they get off a shot. Cant zoom though, during the slow time so that is a con to note.

Melee : Two handed, or one handed, you can drop 3 - 4 harder enemies, and 6 + low hp enemies before its duration finishes

Assassin : I have managed to use 30x backstab damage on up to 7 guys before it runs out. I do have shadow warrior perk though. Add the nightingale power that turns you invisible when hidden and you actually feel like some bad ass ninja.

Caster : you can get off 3x firestorms, or lightning storm can tic for about 30 extra tics during slow times duration. Fire off 12 ice spears, which then fly at a slow speed. This is HUGE fun at long range. You basically create a train of ice spears that then all zip to the target at once when time restores itself. Use wall spells, which is hilarious, you slow time then paint the entire room with the wall spell of your choice. The caster options are endless.

Dodging: Slow time and run around fireballs, duck and weave around shouts, even sidestep arrows, as you charge your opponent to close distance.

Fleeing : You can basically exit combat very very fast as well, if you so choose to.

Show me another shout that has THIS many options? That results in you avoiding nearly ALL damage yet also lets you significantly boost your own damage, all with a low enough cool down that you can use it multiple times in a battle. This is all on Master skill lvl of course.

You approach four enemies, shout, run through shredding them to stand on the other side. Their now dead bodies still falling as you sheath your weapon, then snap. Times back, and they all fall to the ground.

rlang290

You approach four enemies, shout, run through shredding them to stand on the other side. Their now dead bodies still falling as you sheath your weapon, then snap. Times back, and they all fall to the ground.

That's an excellent description! I've never used this shout before but I'm going to try it now!! :)

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
That is an invalid comparison. Dragon Aspect is a BUFF, an active effect with a 24 hour reset time, while Slow Time is more like a temporary attack/defense boost, with a very small cool down.

You don't use JUST Dragon Aspect. You use Dragon Aspect (5 second cool down) THEN a shout. Which buffs Slow time by a magnitude of 1.0 I believe.

Dragon aspect -20% CD, Amulet of Thalos -20% CD + Stop time with 3 words. With this combination you can literally stop time, burn down 3 - 4 enemies with your chosen method. Wait 5 - 10 seconds, then Stop time AGAIN.

Hands down, Slow Time is the best shout. Especially so when coupled with Dragon Aspect. It is the only shout I have found that lets you boost every offensive style, yet still manages to offer a small enough cool down that you can use it effectively multiple times in a fight.

You can slow time and;

Archery: fire 10 - 15 arrows, killing any number of people. I like to slow time when i have archers on the walls around me and snipe them all, an arrow for each, before they get off a shot. Cant zoom though, during the slow time so that is a con to note.

Melee : Two handed, or one handed, you can drop 3 - 4 harder enemies, and 6 + low hp enemies before its duration finishes

Assassin : I have managed to use 30x backstab damage on up to 7 guys before it runs out. I do have shadow warrior perk though. Add the nightingale power that turns you invisible when hidden and you actually feel like some bad ass ninja.

Caster : you can get off 3x firestorms, or lightning storm can tic for about 30 extra tics during slow times duration. Fire off 12 ice spears, which then fly at a slow speed. This is HUGE fun at long range. You basically create a train of ice spears that then all zip to the target at once when time restores itself. Use wall spells, which is hilarious, you slow time then paint the entire room with the wall spell of your choice. The caster options are endless.

Dodging: Slow time and run around fireballs, duck and weave around shouts, even sidestep arrows, as you charge your opponent to close distance.

Fleeing : You can basically exit combat very very fast as well, if you so choose to.

Show me another shout that has THIS many options? That results in you avoiding nearly ALL damage yet also lets you significantly boost your own damage, all with a low enough cool down that you can use it multiple times in a battle. This is all on Master skill lvl of course.

Eh? Mine opinion is mine own and did not require breaking down. Dragon Aspect is an absolute god-send for me, everything else is secondary.

kriz44

I really love Slow Time, i can land almost a dozen hits before they know what hit them, specially with a fast weapon like a sword or dagger.

ambiiientz

"VIIK" The third word in "Disarm"... Sounds Amazing... Especially from a Draugr Deathlord

Chadonraz

Good old Unrelenting Force. Why? Because it's useful against all kinds of opponents, and
it can even disintegrate them (at least smaller ones like wolves and Draugr).
:D

Dragonrend is priceless when it comes to fighting dragons, but otherwise it's useless. That's why I don't consider it the best Shout.

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
As a primarily melee character, Slow Time has been the most useful shout especially in boss situations. Fire Breath is best used in group situations where its usually powerful enough to dispatch the weaker enemies leaving the stronger ones for my sword.

ChrisLay1

Just wondering in your own opinion, what's the best shout and why?
Unrelenting Force when my Khajiit stealth archer/assasin is in a tight spot as you can send enemys flying!
Currently my most used shout is Aurora Whisper, It's really useful for stealth characters as it allows you to locate any enemys so you can plan your attack.

Rein94

Slow Time is great when a fight is too difficult. :)

Cakesmite

Unrelenting force. I also love the way how it was improved in Dragonborn along with other shouts like Fire breath/Frost breath.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I love Storm Call because your epic level cannot be denied as you call lightning to smite your foes.

On a more practical level I like Marked for Death. Lets me cut through people even faster.

Alduin's Brother

Depends on the situation. Unrelenting force is good when you need to make a quick get away from multiple enemies such as bandits, falmer, mudcrabs ect. Soul tear (From Dawnguard) is good for people that need to kill an enemy quickly and could use a soul for enchanting. Whirlwind sprint is good if you need to transport a large amout of goods while you are over encumbered. Clear skies (or is it clear sky?) is good if snow is getting in the way and is making it hard for you to see. Ice form is really only for laughs and for getting away from a single enemy. Most other shouts aren't really good for anything that I do. Call dragon is good if you're outnumbered. The same goes for call of valor. Dragonrend is by far my most used shout of all time..

ChaosBlaze99

My favorite is the elemental fury shout while I am dual wielding axes( In benja we trust, for bacca we must)and invisible (spooooky axe)

Benthos

Proud Mer
It's all opinionated so it doesn't really matter which I state but I personally love the following the most:
-Storm call (use it in crowded areas for extra lulz)
-Animal Allegiance (we're mostly getting attacked by animals and bandits out in the wilderness so why not have some help)
-Windsprint (pretty obvious for traveling and better positioning during battle, best if you're over-encumbered)
-Call Valor/Dragon (dragon is better when you're outdoors and Valor is better for when you're indoors)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts