• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
So i'm playing a light armoured 2 handed argonian and i'm liking it but i have no idea which light armor to aim to get. Heavy armor is definitely daedric but light armor i have no idea.

Is there a chart of light armor defense? Could you give a link? thanks.

Btw i know dragonscale is supposed to be the best, i just need to know what to wear until smithing 100.

Liger

Right off the start Leather is best. I believe Light Elven is just under it armor rating but is lighter. cheak out the skyrim wiki to find out all the info you are looking for

Off skyrim wiki

Leather Base set Stats: 52 defence, 12 weight, 235 gold worth

Elven Light: Base set: 52 def, 7 weight, 235 gold (note non-craftable

Elven
non-gilded
Base set stats: 79 def, 11 weight, 540 gold (note this is with the 21def extra sheild and Leather doe not have a sheild

Gilded elven base: 85 def, 11 weight and 865 gold (with sheild)

Imperial Light, 65 def, 15 weight and 245 gold (with sheild)

Hide: 55 def, 13 weight, 120 gold with sheild

Fur: 39 to 41 def, 9 to 11 weight and 80 ish gold, (Note non-craftable)

Dawngaurd: 61 defence, 10.5 weight and 365 gold, (non-craftable and dawngaurd DLC needed)

and thats enough typeing for me on this topic

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Leather, then scaled then dragon scale - at least that's what my Argonian did. You can get scaled within you first 5 levels if you head out towards Falkreath and are willing to take on bandits.

I think the leather looks kind of silly, but the fur, hide and studded is even sillier looking. Scaled just goes with the skin and, well... you know, dragon scale!

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
Before I provide a comparison of base armor ratings, I do want to point out that once your armor rating hits the cap, which varies slightly depending on how many pieces of armor you're actually wearing, it doesn't matter what set you choose:

No Armor - 667 Armor
One Piece of Armor - 642 Armor
Two Pieces of Armor - 617 Armor
Three Pieces of Armor - 592 Armor
Four Pieces of Armor - 567 Armor
Five Pieces of Armor - 542 Armor

UESP says "Physical damage reduction is capped at 80%. This occurs at 567 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor or 667 when not wearing any pieces of armor." UESP also points out that without Fortify Smithing potions and enchanted smithing gear, it's impossible for light armor to meet that cap without the use of a shield, though Dragonscale comes close. However, with smithing at 100, and the aforementioned enhancements, any light armor can exceed the cap just as well as heavy, excluding fur, hide, and leather, which benefit from no smithing perks.

But that's not what you were asking.

Here's your quick reference light armor base ratings (all totals are with no shield and assumes five pieces total, except where noted):

Savior's Hide: 26 (torso only)
Guard: 34 (No hands or feet standard with Guard set)
Hide: 40 (+3 for Studded torso)
Vampire: 40 (+5 for Vampire Royal Armor, no head)
Stormcloak: 41 (Identical to standard Guard + Fur Boots and Gauntlets)
Fur: 46 (-2 for Fur Boots and Gauntlets)
Imperial: 46
Skaal: 46
Penitus Oculatus: 51
Leather: 52 (-3 for Studded torso)
Forsworn: 52 (-2 for Armor of the Old Gods)
Morag Tong: 53
Stormcloak Officer: 53
Shrouded: 58
Elven: 58 (+6 for Gilded Elven torso)
Thieves Guild: 60 (+1 for any improved replacement via quest rewards; +2 for improved hood)
Ancient Falmer: 60 (No head)
Dawnguard: 61
Chitin: 62.5
Scale: 64
Linwe's Armor: 69
Nightingale: 69
Blackguards: 72
Ancient Shrouded: 72
Guild Master: 76
Glass: 76
Stalhrim: 78.5
Dragonscale: 82

Some sets require quest fulfillment to acquire.
Deathbrand Stalhrim armor identical in rating to standard Stalhrim.

Daelon DuLac

Before I provide a comparison of base armor ratings, I do want to point out that once your armor rating hits the cap, which varies slightly depending on how many pieces of armor you're actually wearing, it doesn't matter what set you choose:

No Armor - 667 Armor
One Piece of Armor - 642 Armor
Two Pieces of Armor - 617 Armor
Three Pieces of Armor - 592 Armor
Four Pieces of Armor - 567 Armor
Five Pieces of Armor - 542 Armor

UESP says "Physical damage reduction is capped at 80%. This occurs at 567 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor or 667 when not wearing any pieces of armor." UESP also points out that without Fortify Smithing potions and enchanted smithing gear, it's impossible for light armor to meet that cap without the use of a shield, though Dragonscale comes close. However, with smithing at 100, and the aforementioned enhancements, any light armor can exceed the cap just as well as heavy, excluding fur, hide, and leather, which benefit from no smithing perks.

But that's not what you were asking.

Here's your quick reference light armor base ratings (all totals are with no shield):

Savior's Hide: 26 (torso only)
Guard: 34 (No hands or feet standard with Guard set)
Hide: 40 (+3 for Studded torso)
Vampire: 40 (+5 for Vampire Royal Armor, no head)
Stormcloak: 41 (Identical to standard Guard + Fur Boots and Gauntlets)
Fur: 46 (-2 for Fur Boots and Gauntlets)
Imperial: 46
Skaal: 46
Penitus Oculatus: 51
Leather: 52 (-3 for Studded torso)
Forsworn: 52 (-2 for Armor of the Old Gods)
Morag Tong: 53
Stormcloak Officer: 53
Shrouded: 58
Elven: 58 (+6 for Gilded Elven torso)
Thieves Guild: 60 (+1 for any improved replacement via quest rewards; +2 for improved hood)
Ancient Falmer: 60 (No head)
Dawnguard: 61
Chitin: 62.5
Scale: 64
Linwe's Armor: 69
Nightingale: 69
Blackguards: 72
Ancient Shrouded: 72
Guild Master: 76
Glass: 76
Stalhrim: 78.5
Dragonscale: 82

Some sets require quest fulfillment to acquire.
Deathbrand Stalhrim armor identical in rating to standard Stalhrim.
Cordelia: While I thank you for all the information, I really think, that in most cases it is an asthetic thing. In the end, all the armors round out to about the same thing. Personally, during my first few playthroughs, I was paranoid about making sure that I had as much armour as I could to keep myself protected, but came to the conclusion (it's my 5th playthrough now), that it really doesn't matter. There are enemies that can defeat you no matter what you're wearing and those are those that can't. It depends on you and your skill too, not just your armour rating.

I think our suggestions were based on the Argonian look. That's what I meant about the looks.

I admire you folks that are so knowledgeable and, obviously base your play on vast pools of information and calculations that I simply couldn't possibly understand.

In my case - sure, Nightingale is pretty and gives a good rating, but, it just looks silly on my Argo. I'd stick with the scaled. Kind of like joining the Companions as a woman and having the Wolf Armour make me look like Dolly Parton. Just not the look I was going for.

Nighthiker77

Up the left I like to:

kill some deer, make leather,

Kill some Thalmor for elven or light elven.

Kill bandits for Scaled and Forsworn for a bow.

Kill some more Thalmor at Northwatch Keep for better Elven Gilded or Glass.

If you aren't using sneak or 1h, I can't think of anything unique to go for right off the top of my head.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
Cordelia: While I thank you for all the information, I really think, that in most cases it is an asthetic thing. In the end, all the armors round out to about the same thing. Personally, during my first few playthroughs, I was paranoid about making sure that I had as much armour as I could to keep myself protected, but came to the conclusion (it's my 5th playthrough now), that it really doesn't matter. There are enemies that can defeat you no matter what you're wearing and those are those that can't. It depends on you and your skill too, not just your armour rating.

I think our suggestions were based on the Argonian look. That's what I meant about the looks.

I admire you folks that are so knowledgeable and, obviously base your play on vast pools of information and calculations that I simply couldn't possibly understand.

In my case - sure, Nightingale is pretty and gives a good rating, but, it just looks silly on my Argo. I'd stick with the scaled. Kind of like joining the Companions as a woman and having the Wolf Armour make me look like Dolly Parton. Just not the look I was going for.

If you read the first part of my post, I said:

and

UESP says "Physical damage reduction is capped at 80%. This occurs at 567 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor or 667 when not wearing any pieces of armor."

The OP posted:
Lightningfalcon said:
Is there a chart of light armor defense?

I addressed the fact that after a certain point the defense rating becomes irrelevant, and imply the player's aesthetic preference is ultimately what matters. However, since the OP asked specifically for the armor defense ratings, I included them for his personal calculations. If he wants to play based on numbers for now, I provided a quick-glance guide to help him. If he wants to play for looks, then the guide obviously doesn't matter, but it is answering the question he asked. So I'm not sure why your post addresses me specifically to speak as though I advocated using numbers exclusively to determine what armor to wear, or why it would be obvious that numbers and calculations are what I (or the other responders) base my (our) play-style on, when I open my response with why armor ratings are ultimately irrelevant.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Cordelia: While I thank you for all the information, I really think, that in most cases it is an asthetic thing. In the end, all the armors round out to about the same thing.
No they don't. You can't reach the necessary armor rating to cap physical damage resistance for most light armors without using Fortify Smithing enchanted items and/or potions and not every player makes every character with a crafting build. I'm inclined to think the OP falls into this category as he claimed Daedric as a the best armor for a heavy armor character when most of the heavy armors will cap out even without using Fortify enchanted gear and potions.

My Nord Warrior Shield Maiden didn't use any magic including enchanted gear with two small exceptions because of character/roleplay restrictions so armor type was extremely relevant for her as it is for many player characters. This is especially true if the player character doesn't wear a matching set or a complete set of armor.

Lightningfalcon - If you're leveling Smithing you can take the Smithing perks on the left branch of the Smithing perk tree to forge and improve your own armor (Elven, Scaled, Glass, Dragon Scale). Without the perks you won't get as good an armor rating bonus from tempering your armor at the work bench. If you prefer the looks of the Elven armor over the Scaled you can skip getting Scaled armor as the full set of Elven armor with a Gilded Elven cuirass because that cuirass offers better protection than the Scaled armor cuirass.

Daelon DuLac

If you read the first part of my post, I said:

and

UESP says "Physical damage reduction is capped at 80%. This occurs at 567 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor or 667 when not wearing any pieces of armor."

The OP posted:
Lightningfalcon said:
Is there a chart of light armor defense?

I addressed the fact that after a certain point the defense rating becomes irrelevant, and imply the player's aesthetic preference is ultimately what matters. However, since the OP asked specifically for the armor defense ratings, I included them for his personal calculations. If he wants to play based on numbers for now, I provided a quick-glance guide to help him. If he wants to play for looks, then the guide obviously doesn't matter, but it is answering the question he asked. So I'm not sure why your post addresses me specifically to speak as though I advocated using numbers exclusively to determine what armor to wear, or why it would be obvious that numbers and calculations are what I (or the other responders) base my (our) play-style on, when I open my response with why armor ratings are ultimately irrelevant.
Sorry. Didn't mean to insult. Y'all are just so knowledgable and, while I learn and learn and get better and better at SR, sometimes it takes a fun discussion in to the realm of a lesson. Of course, then again, if I didn't have y'all to lean on, I'd end up dying at level 4 again and again and again 'cause i couldn't figure out how to change from 1st person to 3rd or use a spell. Sheesh... maybe I should keep my big mouth shut and just absorb all the wisdom! Again, sorry... I've got a big mouth that I shoot off too much.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
It's okay, Daelon. A fun discussion should remain a fun discussion. I completely support choosing armor based on how it looks on your character and how it fits your play style, as opposed to how high the armor rating is if that's what you want to do. I don't tend to take into account the armor rating when I'm picking my armor for RP either. I just wanted to make sure Lightningfalcon's question was answered as thoroughly as possible.

Daelon DuLac

Cordelia: While I thank you for all the information, I really think, that in most cases it is an asthetic thing. In the end, all the armors round out to about the same thing.
No they don't. You can't reach the necessary armor rating to cap physical damage resistance for most light armors without using Fortify Smithing enchanted items and/or potions and not every player makes every character with a crafting build. I'm inclined to think the OP falls into this category as he claimed Daedric as a the best armor for a heavy armor character when most of the heavy armors will cap out even without using Fortify enchanted gear and potions.

My Nord Warrior Shield Maiden didn't use any magic including enchanted gear with two small exceptions because of character/roleplay restrictions so armor type was extremely relevant for her as it is for many player characters. This is especially true if the player character doesn't wear a matching set or a complete set of armor.

Lightningfalcon - If you're leveling Smithing you can take the Smithing perks on the left branch of the Smithing perk tree to forge and improve your own armor (Elven, Scaled, Glass, Dragon Scale). Without the perks you won't get as good an armor rating bonus from tempering your armor at the work bench. If you prefer the looks of the Elven armor over the Scaled you can skip getting Scaled armor as the full set of Elven armor with a Gilded Elven cuirass because that cuirass offers better protection than the Scaled armor cuirass.
Doesn't the elven armor look kind of silly though? It looks silly on an Altmer, when I tried it on my Argonian it just didn't look right at all. Me, I still prefer the scaled on an argo - I wore it until I could give him dragonscale. Yes, I did go up the left (I luvs me some glass bow & arrows until I can get dragon!). On the plus side though, if your argo is green, at least the glass would coordinate.

Daelon DuLac

Elven is my favorite. I think it looks great (on an elf)
Yes. But only on an elf and only Bosmer or Altmer. I think it has something to do with their colouring and build. Now that I think about it, on the right coloured Khajit it might not look to bad either. Hmm.. Well, my Khajit does want to trade up from leather at some point... hmmm...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Doesn't the elven armor look kind of silly though? It looks silly on an Altmer.....
I think it looks great on my Altmer Spellsword.

9626604686_0d30b06db1_b.jpg

9623373669_948e11cb02_b.jpg

That aside it seems like the OP was asking questions about ranking armor for mechanics of physical damage resistance and not aesthetics.

Daelon DuLac

Doesn't the elven armor look kind of silly though? It looks silly on an Altmer.....

That aside it seems like the OP was asking questions about ranking armor for mechanics of physical damage resistance and not aesthetics.
Agree - it does look fabu on your Altmer, but, as I said, keep it for the elves. It was made for them and goes so well with their aesthetic.

As to you other comment, I didn't get that from my initial read of the comment, but you are right.

I just have stopped thinking about armor value at this point. Since they all equal out in the long run, and, frankly your armor value doesn't amount to a hill of beans on my play throughs (archers & sneakers usually), I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...

Agree - it does look fabu on your Altmer, but, as I said, keep it for the elves. It was made for them and goes so well with their aesthetic.

As to you other comment, I didn't get that from my initial read of the comment, but you are right.

I just have stopped thinking about armor value at this point. Since they all equal out in the long run, and, frankly your armor value doesn't amount to a hill of beans on my play throughs (archers & sneakers usually), I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

I've heard and seen that argonians rock dragonscale armor.

rty8I.jpg

Daelon DuLac

rty8I.jpg
Oh yeah! Mine looks great. The helmet is a bit much, but, since he has horns and feathers anyhow, it works. I even have dragonbone bow, battle ax, double swords and daggers (I do have arrows as well, but they're so OP at level 45 that i usually use glass or ebony instead.

Daelon DuLac

rty8I.jpg
Oh yeah! Mine looks great. The helmet is a bit much, but, since he has horns and feathers anyhow, it works. I even have dragonbone bow, battle ax, double swords and daggers (I do have arrows as well, but they're so OP at level 45 that i usually use glass or ebony instead.
Work the leather helmets and jewelry if you want to get your smithing up really fast. That's what I do.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts