Best follower for an assassin/theif/bad lady?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Touchstone

I, like so many others, have Lydia. She's doing a good job being a tank, but just isn't a particularly effective sneak. I'm also concerned about bounties if I do anything untwoard in front of her, so I've been leaving her out of a lot.

So what do you think is the best sort of follower to have for this playstyle? A tank who can give you away, a squishy mage, another sneak?

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I've found Cicero from The Dark Brotherhood to be most useful. He can hold his own even with just using a dagger. However, he's great at sneak kills. You could also use one of the other followers from The Dark Brotherhood. But, I personally use Cicero the most. Because on our travels he makes me laugh a lot.

Touchstone

I'm working on finishing up that questline now. Did you play Oblivion? Is he as massively irritating as the Adoring Fan?

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
No. Cicero is my favorite character. He rotates his jokes and sayings when you're with him, and that's all I find slightly annoying. But, I'll just switch him for one of the other DBH companions if it gets to be too much.

I suppose it's just preference. I don't find him annoying, others do.

demujin

No. Cicero is my favorite character. He rotates his jokes and sayings when you're with him, and that's all I find slightly annoying. But, I'll just switch him for one of the other DBH companions if it gets to be too much.

I suppose it's just preference. I don't find him annoying, others do.
Yeah, I don't find him annoying, just insane :)

ChicN Freak

Chicken of the Third Reich
Hmm... personally, if i was an assassin (which I intend to be ^^) I would not have a companion at all. They are just luggage and will stuff you up if you are trying to be stealthy.

E.g.

You are sneaking up upon a mage, knowing they can easily destroy you... You are getting extremely close and you are just about to stealth-kill the mage, when your companion comes rushing in screaming his ring out! The mage turns and instantly incinerates you and your companion before you even begin to swing your dagger...

That is why assassins never have incompetent companions XD

Squiddish

I dunno, I use Illia. Having a mage with me is always great when things go south and it turns into a throwdown XD

demujin

I have used the female dunmer you can hire at the Drunken Huntsman. She is quite stealthy and if you give her a bow and load her up on arrows she'll often stay in the back and fire away.

Onyx

Is it possible to have companions hold fire until you initiate attack or better yet, only attack when the enemies become hostile?

I do not use them for my Assasin, go solo as I forsee only problems (unless I leave them at the entrance) but miss have a pack mule and wildlife/bear/dragon/troll bait

demujin

Today, I used a companion for the first time. When I go into sneak mode she does as well. She stayed behind me and I loosed arrows, sniping out enemies. She never attacked before me any of those times. I was able to snipe enemies unnoticed. She tended to stay behind most of the time. Overall she helped more than she hurt. But I think I will continue to travel solo, most of the time. I like the challenge anyway. Besides, I don't need friends when I can conjure them at will.

Rone Barton

My assassin just uses Lydia. Thing is, I use her half the time as a pack mule to hold all my looted or battle-won items when clearing out a "dungeon."

I tend to leave her a few rooms behind, tell here to "wait here," go on ahead slitting throats, then return to her with the loot. Then I ask her to follow me a few rooms deeper in (to catch up to my path of destruction), whereupon I then once again tell her to wait. And if there's even a full battle melee for which sneaking isn't ideal, I can just run a hundred feet back the way I came when my hps get low and there she is, charging past my retreat and toward the battle.

I gave her all the Daedric items I've won, so Lydia actually once brought a dragon down on top of me while I was fighting a frost troll (couldn't tell why the music got so damn dramatic for such an easy battle). That drake plunked down dead from out of nowhere right in from of me - landing on the frost troll like Dorothy's shack on the Wicked Witch of the East. I then hit this scaly corpse once before absorbing its energy, failing to realize that my seeming one hit victory was actually only the equivalent of me beating up a 30,000 pound bag of Purina cat chow with a hockey stick.

Idiot. First time I ever felt bad about a dragon dying in this game.

Red5

Is it possible to have companions hold fire until you initiate attack or better yet, only attack when the enemies become hostile?

I do not use them for my Assasin, go solo as I forsee only problems (unless I leave them at the entrance) but miss have a pack mule and wildlife/bear/dragon/troll bait

Onyx, while I haven't done much with the function, but you should be able to tell your follower to "Wait Here," while you move around. Of course, if things go south, this may mean that your follower doesn't come to aid without getting them to follow you again (again I haven't checked).

ShadowGambit

Depending on what type if assassin you are: Range or up close.

For range, I would choose Jenassa, the Dunmer mercenary in the Drunken Huntsman. She has a morality of 0 (so she can murder for you), she is good at sneaking and archery AND she is the ONLY follower that can dual wield. She won't get in your way much and attack only when you are spotted. BUT, she is not that good at sneak attacking with a dagger. She is a good back-up as an archer and can take you out of tight spot, mostly if you are an hybrid and uses spells. In melee, give her 2 swords and a good armor with resist magic capped and she is lethal. If you are an archer assassin, big chances are that she will be MUCH better than you at melee. She levels only to 40, but at that point she would have Maxed out Archery and Sneaking, and nearly 1 handed weapon too, with 75 in light armor.

For Up close, I would choose Cicero or the Brotherhood Initiate. You can actually have BOTH at the same time, due to a bug with the Brotherhood Initiate. They are VERY good at sneaking and can assassinate up close pretty efficiently. In melee, they are good, but they cannot DW like Jenassa does (there is a bug there). They are not that good in archery, as far as I saw it. Aela or Jenassa are better for that purpose alone. Other than that the DBI is the ONLY one that will level with you till 81. Cicero goes to 50.

That said, if you are a real assassin, I don't see the need of a follower outside for the pack-mule purpose. Assassin are usually lone wolf and works better alone.

sticky runes

Personality wise, Stenvar (hireling from Windhelm) is quite fun to have around because he's got a thing for gold!

TuGaWaR

The Utterly Insane
None, companions are can't help you if you use sneak.

Just get lots of one handed, smithing, and enchanting perks to make unstealthed combat a damage race. If you do it right, you start out with stealth, and by level 40, you can just go up to anything, power attack it, and it's dead (Including Alduin, if you do it right), no need for stealth.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts