• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I'm starting it tonite and have a few classes to pick from. Melee / Tank & Heal/ assassin-archer.

For those who have played through Dragonborn, does the overall game-play favor any certain class of character over another?

Thanks!

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
I've beaten the Dragonborn main questline.

I would usually say, in a post like this - play the class you enjoy the most,
but I was very dissapointed in the DLC as a Warrior.

You definitely wreak the benefits as a Mage. (wink wink)

Skulli

I've beaten the Dragonborn main questline.

All I can say, is that I am very dissapointed as a Warrior.

You definitely wreak the benefits as a Mage. (wink wink)

And here I sit with no leveled mages! I just don't like all the prep work before you engage.

Can a sword-n-board-nord do well with Spellbreaker shield, armored up? He already took down the Ebony Knight after the 3rd attempt, lol! My archer-assassin wrecked him, through Unrelenting Force and positioning!

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
And here I sit with no leveled mages! I just don't like all the prep work before you engage

.Can a sword-n-board-nord do well with Spellbreaker shield, armored up? He already took down the Ebony Knight after the 3rd attempt, lol!My archer-assassin wrecked him!

Very nice, indeed.

Every character will do well in the DLC, what I am saying is that the DLC is very biased to anyone not a pure Mage.

higgi07

Seemed to me like alot of new heavy armors so nice for a heavy armored player. My assassin breezed through it though with the dark brotherhood set no problem.

Skulli

I plan to run an assassin through, counting on sneak archery and a solid follower.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
I had better luck playing it as an archer/mage. There's a lot of magic going on, so enchanted armor or lots of high quality resist magic potions are going to be very helpful.

I found DB to be pretty challenging, even with a high level character with plenty of perks.

Pete

Consider conjuration and 2H warrior. Minimal prep work. Dice with vampirism for a twist later on. And when you want an army - use the ritual stone.

I played through the first time as a Master Conjurer, (level 25, Heavy Armor, Bound Weapons) and definitely liked the new Summons (Especially the Seeker, that's a keeper, and the Ash Guardian has it's uses.) Tomorrow is going to be 2H/HA for a certain sword (It really is a Great Sword) and after that, it's probably going to be one of my many Nightblade/Arcane Assassins.

Dashmiel

I played through the first time as a Master Conjurer, (level 25, Heavy Armor, Bound Weapons) and definitely liked the new Summons (Especially the Seeker, that's a keeper, and the Ash Guardian has it's uses.) Tomorrow is going to be 2H/HA for a certain sword (It really is a Great Sword) and after that, it's probably going to be one of my many Nightblade/Arcane Assassins.

This. If it's the sword I think it is, I prefer it over the rest of the knick-knacks and new spells. My 2H/HA Warrior is having so much fun with archers and mages trying to run away. "Aiiiiie".

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Dragonborn added a lot of assorted spells, probably the most in conjuration. Some unique 1 & 2Hs and at least one unique bow.

Dragonborn added a lot of assorted spells, probably the most in conjuration. Some unique 1 & 2Hs and at least one unique bow.
There's also some nice Destruction, including the Mighty Whirlwind Cloak. You remember Morrowind? You'll know where to go when you see it.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
There's also some nice Destruction, including the Mighty Whirlwind Cloak. You remember Morrowind? You'll know where to go when you see it.

Yes, that one's my favorite by far. There's also some alteration paralysis spells, two freeze / burn spells, and a restoration rune that poisons all enemies, even the living.

PelagiusIV

Mighty Whirlwind Cloak? I haven't come across that yet. Where do you find it? Sounds awesome. I just started a character who's focusing on Destruction and Alteration, any recommendations for new spells? I never really paid attention to all of them in Dragonborn.

Mighty Whirlwind Cloak? I haven't come across that yet. Where do you find it? Sounds awesome. I just started a character who's focusing on Destruction and Alteration, any recommendations for new spells? I never really paid attention to all of them in Dragonborn.
I apologize for my confusing Capitalization. The spell is called Whirlwind Cloak, and it is mighty, it's not called "Mighty Whirlwind Cloak." From anywhere on the S/E side of the island, you can see Red Mountain in the distance. (That's where all the ash comes from) Head toward it, you're looking for a Telvanni Tower with a Siltstrider out front.

As for the OP, there's something for everyone. New Armors, and Weapons for the Warrior, especially a powerful Greatsword for 2 Handers. The emphasis is on high level, and power players, though. Even my usual build style of power beyond relatively low level is dangerously challenging. Bring it, or stay in Skyrim.

Gowsh

Old Fart
From anywhere on the S/E side of the island, you can see Red Mountain in the distance.

Having just finished Morrowind, I found that very disconcerting. I imagined what must've happened to my previously sort of beloved Vvardenfell and I couldn't help but shudder.

On the actual topic, I played a lightly armored stealth character and had a fine time. I had to bide my time a bit before I garnered the perks to properly enchant my new Stahlrim light armor, but even that was fun.

Having just finished Morrowind, I found that very disconcerting. I imagined what must've happened to my previously sort of beloved Vvardenfell and I couldn't help but shudder.

On the actual topic, I played a lightly armored stealth character and had a fine time. I had to bide my time a bit before I garnered the perks to properly enchant my new Stahlrim light armor, but even that was fun.
I'm currently running it with an Arcane Assassin (Differs from a Nightblade in Conjuration, Alteration, and being otherwise Unarmored in lieu of Destruction) who's using some of the new effects to become an Ash Wizard.

I too loved Morrowind, mostly for the background, and visuals. That whole island is just downright Alien, and this one manages to revisit some of that. It's familiar, yet different, so I'm really getting off on the Explorations, especially into Apocrypha, easily my favorite realm of Oblivion.

BoT, even if you're not a Conjurer, take the Sanguine Rose, or something. In your little book trips, it's very nice to have some backup when getting gangbanded by Seekers, yet your Follower can't. Other powerful Summoning Staffs, like Storm Atronachs would also do in a pinch, and don't forget to see what all Scrolls are lying about...

Dashmiel

BoT, even if you're not a Conjurer, take the Sanguine Rose, or something. In your little book trips, it's very nice to have some backup when getting gangbanded by Seekers, yet your Follower can't. Other powerful Summoning Staffs, like Storm Atronachs would also do in a pinch, and don't forget to see what all Scrolls are lying about...

This is excellent advice. You're in a literal realm made of books and knowledge. Keep an eye out for "pods" that stand in for chests within Apocrypha. Not only will they practically fill out your library's worth of books after a few runs, but they often have nice high level scrolls useful in a pinch.

This is excellent advice. You're in a literal realm made of books and knowledge. Keep an eye out for "pods" that stand in for chests within Apocrypha. Not only will they practically fill out your library's worth of books after a few runs, but they often have nice high level scrolls useful in a pinch.
Right? I mean who else just leaves Scrolls of the Storm Thrall lying around?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts