Benefits of werewolves or Vampires

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jbcarey

Hi,

I've view the wiki's and know how to become both, but I don't know if I ''SHOULD''.... I read it as a disease, as something that isn't beneficial... What are the profits of becoming either and then, why would you want to cure yourself??

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Without posting spoilers, there is a faction quest line that you wont be able to pursue unless you willingly become a Werewolf. AFAIK there is only one quest that requires you to be a Vampire and it's a quest to cure your Vampirism

If you read the wiki's you should already know the benefits and negatives but if you click on the word Werewolf or Vampire in this sentence it will take you to the relevant Skyrim UESP Wiki page to refresh your memory.

IMO Vampirism has far more negative effects than Lycanthropy, which only has one (or arguably two), but some may feel that Vampirism has better benefits. It's subjective and up to you whether you want to pursue one or both for roleplaying, quest seeking or the benefits of either.

Hi,

I've view the wiki's and know how to become both, but I don't know if I ''SHOULD''.... I read it as a disease, as something that isn't beneficial... What are the profits of becoming either and then, why would you want to cure yourself??
Since you can cure yourself of both 'diseases' via a quest for each, why not? in my opinion id just experiment with both vampirism and lycanthropy and if it isnt for you, cure yourself with the appropriate quest.

DovaDestroyer

Rippin' and tearin' since 1996
I became a werewolf within two hours of play. I've only used werewolf form twice in 65 hours. The good thing about it is you can use it if you want and the only way it affects you is no resting bonus (which i haven't really noticed much difference) and you are resistant to all diseases. After I have finished the faction quest lines, i plan to wolf out and wipe out some villages. I haven't tried vampirism in skyrim yet, mainly because vampirism in oblivion left a bad taste in my mouth. I have heard it is a little better now but have no plans of trying it.

Jbcarey

Owkay, thanks for these answer.... As Dovadestroyer mentioned, there seems no harm in becoming Werewolf and 'keeping' this extra 'perk', whereas now it's clear that becoming a vampire isn't an improvement...

So, I'll do the quest, become one, and cure myself, only to have done the quest And then do the companions quests...

Thanks.

Kablewee

Plus if you become vampire, I believe there's like 4 lvl of vampirism? which means no walking in sunshine :) plus too much maintenance such as keeping yourself fed of blood. Too much work for me , although perks are more compared to werewolf.

Jbcarey

Alright, --- any Achievements to be gotten from being either???

Forumate

The advantages you get as a vampire are great for assassin characters but if you are wearing the Nightingale armor and have a high sneak skill It's not really worth it.

The way the blood sucking thing works is kinda backwards too. When you feed of the blood of your foes you become weaker and if you don't feed for awhile you become more powerful.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Is there an option to be both at the same time?
No. This isn't Underworld. :p

When you become a Werewolf it will cure you of all diseases, even late stage Vampirism, and, because you are immune to all disease as a Werewolf, you cannot become a Vampire as long as you are a Werewolf.

3v3r

I have scale-itch... Don't ask how I got it.
Around level 30 transforming into a werewolf isn't that great. You get killed really easily. I have it mainly for the disease and random fun.

I can't speak for Vampirism. As for being a Werewolf, unless I am mistaken the only disadvantages is that you loose resting bonuses. Resting bonuses make your skills level 10% faster (or 15% if it's in a bed you own, i.e. your house). Like 3v3r said, once you hit the high levels, transforming in to a Werewolf actually makes you weaker.

BUT

As a Werewolf, you can run faster than any horse I have a come across. Sprinting as a Werewolf is insane, and when your stamina runs out, simply stop running, wait three seconds, and then haul ass again. The time you save travelling on foot as a Werewolf outweighs the the time you save leveling up with resting bonuses IMO. And it's curable (not to mention freaking awesome). At the moment, I use my beast form power as a replacement for a horse. You don't have to buy it, and you don't have to worry about it dying.

I should also add that my only experience with Shadowmere was in Oblivion. It might be the better alternative.

Jbcarey

BUT

As a Werewolf, you can run faster than any horse I have a come across. Sprinting as a Werewolf is insane, and when your stamina runs out, simply stop running, wait three seconds, and then haul ass again. The time you save travelling on foot as a Werewolf outweighs the the time you save leveling up with resting bonuses IMO. And it's curable (not to mention freaking awesome). At the moment, I use my beast form power as a replacement for a horse. You don't have to buy it, and you don't have to worry about it dying.

I suppose, this qualifies as a 'positive' reward...

Thanks for answering my questions everyone, as I've said, I'll become a vampire, mainly only for the experience, and then, Turn into a werewolf, automatically curing me of vampirism...

Also, no NPC will ever recognize that you're a werewolf unless you turn into one. I've never really "slept" in the game anyway, and I honestly wasn't aware of the resting bonus until I researched what being a werewolf was. If I needed to autosave or heal I would just wait. Sleeping always seemed to "role-playee" for me. Kind of like cooking food. Depending on your playing style, you can get the beast form ability, never use it once, and never notice an impact in gameplay whatsoever. In fact, you'll probably forget you have it after awhile.

Reiji

Dark Mage of Clan Thu'um
how does resting bonus for skills work in skyrim?
Rested and Well Rested give you 5%/10% increase to all skills respectively. So say you have the Warrior's Stone activated (20% to Warrior skills) and you sleep for 8 hours and get the Well Rested bonus, you will receive 30% increase to Warrior Skills for 8 hours.
This is very useful when your increasing your crafting skills (Alchemy,Enchanting,Smithing).
The Lover's Stone and being a Werewolf "DO NOT" allow you to get the Rested or Well Rested bonus.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts