• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Julio Coolio

After successfully dominating Skyrim through backstabs and sniping from the shadows, I decided to take my next character on a slightly more aggressive path. I went with a battlemage mainly because a straightforward warrior tends to bore. I enjoy having the mix of magic to accompany one-handed; that, and the fact that I'm not very good at all with a shield. I decided to go heavy armor even though I know I could reach the armor cap with upgraded dragon scale. It will help out in the earlier stages and it matches the roleplaying aspect of my character better. I decided to use destruction, restoration, and alteration to couple with one-handed, armor, and smith and enchanting. Anyway tell me what you think, I'm level 15 and having fun so far this is my planned out build Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! Oh, also I'm a breton.

Cindella

Lv. 15 Battle Mage High Elf and Werewolf
I am also a battle mage, a high elf, and what i usually do is summon a flame antroch and blast people with spells, then when I am almost out of magic i use oak flesh and attack with my skyforge great sword, or if fighting the undead I use my silver great sword. I really worked up conjuration and destruction so my spells don't cost much to use.

Saozig

Hippy
I've played three Breton battlemage (one I had to abandon because she was gltiched). My last one--which I retired after finished the main quest, building Lakehouse Manor and adopting kids but decided yesterday to bring her out of retirement--relies mostly on Alteration, Conjuration, Enchantment and Shouts. She's at 100 in those 3 schools and knows 20 shouts (13 mastered with all 3 words). She relies on shouts far more than destruction magic.

I have her in Daedric armor although her smithing at 100 and she could make slightly better dragon armor. She's the only character I've played that feels right in Daedric so I stick with that--all piece are double enchanted.

Weapon-wise she carries one of everything: an enchanted bow, an enchanted sword with a shield and an enchanted warhammer. This of curse means she can't carry a lot of loot, but she's not hurting for coin at this stage in the game.

Her main conjuration spell is Conjure Daedric Lor,, but while leveling up I preferred Conjure Flame Atronach. It's a weaker spell but I just don't like frost or storm atronachs very much. Banish daedra also comes in handy when I remember to use it. Her main alteration spells are ebonyflesh, detect life/dead and paralysis/mass paralysis.

She also sometimes carries a couple of destruction staffs, like storm wall or flame wall.

Because of her level plus ebonyflesh and enchanted armor, she doesn't really get to use restoration that much. I mostly rely on potions when her health drops unexpectedly.And i've never have got around to incorporating Turn, Ward or other non-healing restoration spells into my gameplay.

My earlier battlemages used more alchemy than my present one. My first one use destruction spells until I finally decided I just don't like the destruction spells in this game, preferring either shouts of staffs.

Cindella

Lv. 15 Battle Mage High Elf and Werewolf
I have noticed that most of the conjuration perks have high levels and the perks jump like one will be lv 40 and then the next will be lv 80 is there any way to level up conjuration quickly?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I have noticed that most of the conjuration perks have high levels and the perks jump like one will be lv 40 and then the next will be lv 80 is there any way to level up conjuration quickly?
Find a safe spot near an active enemy and keep summoning a bound bow or sword.

Huntagalos

I am also making a battlemage... creating him as we speak. What race does everyone suggest? Also should I join the stormcloaks or imperials? And finally any beginner's tips?

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I'm going with an Argonian. Probably not the best to start with but that wont matter after a few levels anyway. I just hit level 5 and its working so far. Other than a few changes I will probably fallow the op build fairly closely. Here is what I have planned so far.

Destruction
Conjuration
Illusion (no perks just spells)

Smithing
Enchanting
Alchemy (instead of Restoration)

Two handed
Heavy Armor

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
My take on a battlemage is more like an arcane warrior.

I'm playing a Redguard, and his main skills are Alteration, Block, Destruction, and One-Handed. I chose Light Armor for the added mobility. He's essentially a wall. I always keep his shield on and switch between spells and a weapon periodically in the other hand.

He's a force to be reckoned with.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I am going to start a Battlemage this week. I will be stealing this build. :D :D :D :D :D

Joker

Ok, I started my Battlemage this weekend. I chose Altmer for the +50 Magicka boost. I am having more fun with this build than any other I have going right now. I am using Archery, 1H, Conjuration, Restoration, Light Armor, Archery, and 2 points in Smithing.

Conjuration for bound weapons and atronachs, Restoration for Necromage & Recovery, Alteration for Magic Resistance. :D

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!
Ok, I started my Battlemage this weekend. I chose Altmer for the +50 Magicka boost. I am having more fun with this build than any other I have going right now. I am using Archery, 1H, Conjuration, Restoration, Light Armor, Archery, and 2 points in Smithing.

Conjuration for bound weapons and atronachs, Restoration for Necromage & Recovery, Alteration for Magic Resistance. :D

Good choice on the Altmer :D I suggest going heavy armor, as with light armor you're basically going spellsword, and to use bound weapons (?) is a bit of a different style for battle mage (still quiet popular) but it looks like a great build.

Joker

I thought about Heavy Armor, but the stamina regen from Light Armor was hard to pass.on. That, and there are, to me, worthless perk points in the Heavy Armor tree.

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!
I thought about Heavy Armor, but the stamina regen from Light Armor was hard to pass.on. That, and there are, to me, worthless perk points in the Heavy Armor tree.

Ahh, true. Dat Wind Walker is OP. I don't get why they didn't put any good perks in Heavy Armor >.< I guess it's because since light armor has less armor rating, it gets better perks?

EDIT : But light armor weighs less already ;/ it's already a great benefit.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
My current battlemage kinda goes like this:

Two-handed/Archer

Destruction (Runes, Augmented Flames and Shock)
Alteration (Paralyze, Stability... working on Atronach)
Restoration (Necromage, Recovery, dual cast)
Conjuration (Bound weapons only w/dual cast)

Weapon: Bound Battleaxe
Ranged: Bound Bow w/poison arrows, ranged Runes (perk+ Ahzidal's Helm of Vision)

No Sneak, no Block. Just pure carnage.

Lord Vaako

i am going battlemage too but i am going about it in a round about way. I am starting as a pure warrior > heavy armor, one handed, block and a bit of archery. I am a Nord simply because draugr use frost spells and the frost dragons.

Soon i am going to switch to magic skills and the sole reason i am doing warrior first is simply survivablilty.

A character fully armored in deadric with appropriate perks will survive a lot longer against more enemies allowing you to level up destruction and conjuring more quickly than without.

I will keep you all up dated on how it goes.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Iv never done a battlemage... I guess I live through 1of my fav followers, jzargo to be a battlemage. He looks awesome in heavy falmer armour and an adept hood. His class is actually sorcerer, but since skyrim doesnt have a battlemage class (according to uesp) id say thats about as close as you can get.

Craig_K

Hi Everyone,

I'm totally new to Skyrim, but have been looking up a few tips/watching YT vids etc,. I have heard that you don't need Armour for the Battlemage, as a Mage Robe can be used, and can give up to 240 Armour, is there any truth in this? I don't want to waste perks on this if it's not been heard of/used.

Thanks.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm totally new to Skyrim, but have been looking up a few tips/watching YT vids etc,. I have heard that you don't need Armour for the Battlemage, as a Mage Robe can be used, and can give up to 240 Armour, is there any truth in this? I don't want to waste perks on this if it's not been heard of/used.

Thanks.

Hey Craig, welcome to the forums :D

Typically a battlemage is a mage that wears physical armour. gennerally heay armour.

To answer your question though, there are alteration spells that allow you to have a temporary armour rating (depends on the spell as to how high the rating is).

The mage armour perks on the alteration tree raises this rating as well, as long as you are not wearing any physical armour.

thanks2Ralof

Friend 'O dog
After successfully dominating Skyrim through backstabs and sniping from the shadows, I decided to take my next character on a slightly more aggressive path. I went with a battlemage mainly because a straightforward warrior tends to bore. I enjoy having the mix of magic to accompany one-handed; that, and the fact that I'm not very good at all with a shield. I decided to go heavy armor even though I know I could reach the armor cap with upgraded dragon scale. It will help out in the earlier stages and it matches the roleplaying aspect of my character better. I decided to use destruction, restoration, and alteration to couple with one-handed, armor, and smith and enchanting. Anyway tell me what you think, I'm level 15 and having fun so far this is my planned out build Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! Oh, also I'm a breton.

now i ask only bc im trying the same....LEGENDARY difficulty or what??

Lord Vaako

Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

You will find that you die alot without any armour. The way around this for a "pure mage" is to have a tank like lydia or another similar character.

You might then want to learning heal other or some crowd control spells like fear, any of the wall spells.

Restoration is important, so is conjuration for additional fire power. at later stages of the perk tree you can summon two atronarchs which can come in handy. Destruction is your main offensive weapon although illusions frenzy or hysteria can help wittle down enemies.

Ultimately it's down to you. Battle mage is all about versitility

Latest posts