Background stories for your character

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

How important is your character to you?

• Total voters

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Hey everyone,

After joining this forum I discovered I'm not the only one who pays so much attention to a character. Do you also like it to create a short biography or some family history? I do.. It makes a character more realistic and "alive".

I'd like to hear some of your character's background stories. Not only for inspiration: I'm just interested.. :)

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I do like to put some time in creating the character. but I don't really make a background. I just begin and make the story myself.

I would love to write stories. I can imagine things, but can't really make the story. the same thing with drawing, I can think of ideas to draw, but my drawing skills are at stickman level...

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I do like to put some time in creating the character. but I don't really make a background. I just begin and make the story myself.

I would love to write stories. I can imagine things, but can't really make the story. the same thing with drawing, I can think of ideas to draw, but my drawing skills are at stickman level...

Yeah, my drawing skills are horrible as well :p . It was more of an example. I see many people around here who really care about the character they are playing with..

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
My current character is a Dark Elf called Osiris.
His mother died when he was young and he's always hated his father, as soon as he was able he left his home and never looked back.
He'd spent some time in Cyrodiil before he found himself in Skyrim, he prefers to be alone and made what coin he needed from stealing.
Unfortunately as a Dark Elf he found himself frequently discriminated against and his furious temper earned him a reputation, he swore he'd gutted more men in drunken brawls than he had fish. This earned him various jobs and he moved around as a notorious sellsword, no job was too tough if the coin was right.
He developed a liking to the bow and developed his skills through hunting and constant practice, he then used his skill to bring in bounties, always dead of course.
After a few years he became known throughout Cyrodiil, he was finally becoming a wealthy man.
Unfortunately with his wealth came other distractions, he became completely hooked on Skooma and slowly dwindled away his coin, in fact it was this addiction that led him toward Skyrim after he had heard a rumour of this new, more potent Redwater Skooma.
As he crossed the border he was being harassed by some Nords then out of no where Imperial legionnaires attacked. Osiris fled but was chased down and brought to Helgen where he awaited his fate at the headsman's axe.

My character will also find out his ancestry as a descendent of House Telvanni as he moves through the game and meets Neloth, he will then become more skilled in the arcane arts and develop his conjuration and destruction skills. Before this he will join the Dark Brotherhood and after he meets Delvin in the quest line he shall join the Thieves Guild.
He will very much play the role of the reluctant hero in regards to being Dragonborn but once he discovers his magical affinity he will seek out all words of power to further his quest for knowledge, this will in turn lead him to serve Hermaeus Mora and work on such mysteries as eternal life, which in turn leads him to the Volkihar vampire clan and power he could barely comprehend.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
One of my characters is a native from Cyrodill.
She lived in a small village near a river. Most people who lived there were hunters, loggers, blacksmiths or farmers. Her early childhood was easy - sometimes even dull. She loved to listen to soldiers and travelers in the local tavern. She had this fascination for adventure and started collecting maps and information about the provinces of Tamriel.
When she turned 16 she decided to leave Cyrodill. She became the assistant of the local blacksmith and saved her wages. At the age of 18 she started her journey to Skyrim. The money she saved wasn't enough. most of it was spended after financing her provisions and a horse.
When she crossed the border she ran right in an Imperial ambush. Her horse gets killed and the Imperials took her in a carriage to Helgen. What happens next, is obvious ;)

After her escape she fled to Riften. A Stormcloak city, under great influence of thieves, seemed save for a fugitive. In Riften she wasn't able to find a proper job. That's when she got in contact with the Thieves Guild. After a few months she started to earn their respect and she even climbed their ranks. It didn't took long before she became their leader.
Thanks to the Thieves Guild's connections in the province she got in contact with the Dark Brotherhood. She started coöperating with Astrid and joined them. She mades lots and lots of money working for both and became a notorious dignitary.

But she wasn't a bad person. After a while she started thinking about her way of life. She doubted her choices and left the Danwstar Sanctuary. She kept in touch with the Thieves Guild though, but didn't operate for them anymore.
Soon she discovers she's the Dragonborn. After that she gains much status and is able to leave her criminal life behind her. Because of her importance to Skryim (and Tamriel) she gets forced to pick a side in the Civil War. Someone like the Dragonborn could not stay out of this. She sides with the Imperials and becomes a war hero.

EDIT: lol. Now reading back some of the first 'backgroundstories' that I created, I have to say it kind of sucked. I didn't consider lore and I can't say it is very original either, haha.

-Mir-

Professional milk-drinker
Oh boy! I am an obsessed loser when it comes to making stories and art about my own character... xD

My first character doesn't have much of a backstory because she is just me, after I was teleported into the Skyrim world. But she does have a big personality and most of my stories and stuff are about her. :)

My other characters, very briefly, are these:

-Al'Murah, a young, handsome Khajiit rogue who roams the wilds alone and lives up to his race's thieving, addict stereotype. He goes by the nickname Amur most of the time. He was born and raised in Skyrim and hit the streets at age 10 after his skooma-dealing parents were both incarcerated. Having never known the sands of Elsweyr, he feels estranged from the prejudiced locals and his own kind alike. He lives off the land, robs passers-by, and will occasionally talk his way into entering cities to do "business".
-Virgil, a jolly, ale-loving Argonian bard, hailing from Black Marsh's deep south. His charming southern accent and creative tales of past adventures help him make quick friends with inn guests and his Stawmcloak brethren. He obsessively worships Talos, and Ulfric almost more-so. His older age makes him not very physically fit, thus he uses his speech skills to act as a spy for the rebellion. He loves his new country dearly, yet he faces a midlife/identity crisis in which he is torn between his current commitment and his past life of carefree glory. He used to be a sailor, riding the rivers of Tamriel before he stopped in his new permanent home to settle down unexpectedly.
-Jareth, a Breton mage/trickster, and delightfully creepy. He doesn't have much of a known backstory as he is a cosplay(?) of Labyrinth's Jareth the Goblin King. But for this character, I like to think he was directly created by a daedric prince (probably Sheo) to "have fun" bothering other mortals with crazy--sometimes deadly--tricks.

I have a lot of stuff like journals/short stories/original fanfics/MS Paint doodles of my Skyrim stuff saved on another computer which I can't access right now, but when I finally can get my stuff uploaded on here I'd be happy to show you a bit more if you're really interested. :D

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
My current character is a Nord mercenary.

He figures if he's off adventuring, exploring dangerous lairs, taking lives, and risking life & limb, why not make it profitable?

In every potential quest dialogue with any NPC, Ironwolf focuses on the "pay me to make me care" approach, very much like a Hans Solo. His axe and shield are his ship.

He figures most people in his line of work die early, but he fully intends to furnish a Hearthfire estate, fully stock it, accumulate enough wealth to retire in comfort, take a wife, adopt some kids (he can't provide for his own after the bear whose pelt he wears damaged his jewelry, lol).

All this can wait however, as there are still a few places yet my industrious Nord needs to explore!

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
My character is important to me, yes, but it may happen to be for less than serious purposes, nearly laughable during the moments I played and talked fun stuff with one of my friends. (Skooma addicted Greybeards anyone?)

Mainly mine is just an Argonian raised in Cyrodiil, he developped a burning hatred for himself when his first interactions with his own kind led to a disaster. He practiced the Restoration, Conjuration and Alteration schools aswell as Vampirism to separate himself from the Hist, (and live). He eventually did it, at the cost of obliterating the few chances he had to reintegrate society and a slight amnesia. He fled to Skyrim to start a second life with his 'new' self.

Wildroses

I usually make up backstories for my characters to help decide how they would react in different situations, but not actually write or draw anything. I can write, but can't draw for nuts.

My current character was a Dunmer called Nonah born in a distant province which still practiced slavery. She ended up being sold to a vampire coven as cattle, and became a bit of a pet of the master vampire who grew so fond of her he didn't order her to lay down her life defending him when their nest was cleared out by a bunch of bandits looking for a new bolthole. She doesn't actually hate all vampires as she thinks she was treated fairly well by them (by slave standards, as there are plenty of non-vampire masters out there who treat slaves terribly). But she loathes bandits as the ones who 'freed' her from the vampires treated her so brutally she poisoned their stew and made a break for it, ending up in Skyrim. She basically goes on adventures for the joy of being able to choose what she will and won't do and because she's so excited about being able to buy and own pretty things of her very own after years of slavery she is chronically short of cash.

I'm going to do an Altmer when life is less busy who is chronically weak and sickly. Her character is taking shape in my mind, and I like her so much I might try and write her adventures novel or journal style as I play. She had a terrible illness while a child which killed her parents and elder sister. She lived in a slum with her brother until the Thalmor forcibly recruited him into the army to deal with the Hammerfell uprising, and she never heard from him again. After a few decades living alone earning her money via alchemy, she got a very protective dog, so protective it ripped the throat out of a Thalmor official who came to "discuss" her selling some potions to an undesirable, causing her to get on the quickest boat out of the Summerset Isles, which dropped her in Skyrim. I know vaguely what I want her to do. She's going to go to the College of Winterhold and stay there sticking to a weekly study schedule I have invented until she knows all the master level spells and amassed an enchanted items portfolio, after which I imagine she will start the main quest (or continue, as I'll probably have to start it if I want to get dragon heartscales).

I plan to console code all locations onto the map and fetch Meeko before removing all map locations the same way to start with a dog. To make the game act like she is always weak, I plan to put no points in health or stamina, have a carry weight limit of 30, never sneak and only run in life or death situations. Alchemy is probably going to be her main money earner as I doubt I'll be doing much looting and selling of items with a carry weight of thirty. But if I can't carry lots, I doubt I'll be dragging potions to chug in combat. I'm quite curious as to how difficult this playstyle is going to be.

Zyphur

If I'm gonna be stuck with her for the rest of the game, I might as well take the time to make her more interesting! She has a mohawk and tattoo's all over her face; I think that speaks for her personality.

I don't always make backround stories but for her I did. I mostly just made it up on the spot and kept it vague, she was raised by her abusive father away from the cities and strongholds until she was 15 in orc years I guess, then she killed him and left on her own. Many years later, she ends up arrested on the Skyrim border.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Oh boy!

My first character doesn't have much of a backstory because she is just me, after I was teleported into the Skyrim world. But she does have a big personality and most of my stories and stuff are about her. :)

haha, that sounds familiar :D
Because my first character was le me I felt guilty when I joined the Thieves Guild 0_0 . I would never do such a thing!

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
Pull up a seat, ye lads and lasses, these are quite the tales.

Murgash gro-Ogdum was born in Dawnstar, although his ancestors (great-grandparents and above) hail from Orsinium. He grew up in a clan-style family with six other siblings on the outskirts of the town as the third born. As such, his role as the middle kin was a fine balance between taking after his elders and teaching his younger blood-kin. The family was prosperous enough as far as working in a relatively small settlement like Dawnstar went. His father worked as a foreman for the workers at nearby Quicksilver Mine, and his mother worked as the town’s blacksmith for a short time before retiring prematurely in an effort to care for her young. Along with his other siblings, Murgash trained to become a warrior, specializing in greatsword and battleaxe alike. For a time, the family prospered as Dawnstar’s protectors.

However, only a fortnight after Murgash came of age, his father was killed when Quicksilver Mine suffered a partial collapse, crushing the elder Orc under several hundred pounds of rubble. The family grieved, although their patriarch’s death had an even more profound effect on young Murgash. A day earlier, a wandering mage had visited the town in search of an apothecary, babbling to himself under his breath. Although he initially didn’t even give the mage the time of day at first, something the latter had said had sent his mind into a hypnotic daze.

The mage had been jabbering about necromancy and its supposed potency on the recently deceased. That meant raising the dead, even but for a few brief moments. By now, Murgash’s mind was reeling: Could he truly raise his father from the dead? He had no magical ability as far as he could tell. To salt the wound, magic of any kind was forbidden in his family, save for enchantment. Nevertheless, the determined Orc’s lust for power reigned supreme.

Nightly, Murgash snuck out of the household to scrounge up and sort of books pertaining to the arcane he could find. Reading became a fast hobby for him; soon enough, he felt himself enter the mindset of an aspiring scholar; more specifically, a scholarly warrior, intent on unlocking the potential of a deep and all but forlorn realm of magic.

A year passed, and Murgash decided to take matters into his own hands. He attempted a necromantic spell out of sheer intrigue one night; however, he was caught abruptly by his peeping mother. Predictably, in the wake of the infraction, the indignant family presented him with two choices: leave and never return, or be reported to the town guards and spent the rest of his days behind bars. He selected the former option, and began his trek to the College of Winterhold, a mystical institution he would join if he ever became proficient enough with Conjuration.

Thus began Murgash’s downward spiral into the vagrant, necromancer-knight he is today. Presently, his ability with magic is steadily improving.

----------

Ruaidhin, an orphaned Bosmer, was raised in Riften by a foster family of Dunmer after he and his parents were assaulted by a passing bandit caravan en route to Vvardenfell from Valenwood. The incident, in which both of his parents lost their lives, occurred during infancy; however, he does not recall the ordeal, and prefers to keep it that way.

Needless to say, the Wood Elf’s development was still plagued by hardship. The aforementioned Dunmer couple was frail and frequently sick; as such, they were unable to make much money to sustain Ruaidhin or themselves. Still fresh into his teens at the time, the former elected to make money in the only way he felt comfortable with, in the trademark dubious sort of manner he had acquired observing the denizens of Riften: theft, mainly pickpocketing. In order to cover this up, he took up an apprenticeship with a local herbalist, involuntarily becoming a decent brewer of potions and poisons alike. The herbalist was also a hunter, thereby also teaching the young Ruaidhin how to use a bow.

Though the Dunmer couple passed on eventually, Ruaidhin felt a certain thrill in larceny and hunting alike, which led him to his present profession of being a thief/assassin-for-hire, as well as an expert toxicologist. Moreover, the coin he could accumulate on any given day was respectable at the very least.

----------

Lucius Domitius Cato was renowned even at birth, as the sole son of his heroic father, a Great War veteran and hero (though an eventual martyr upon his death in Bruma).

As such, the young Lucius, afraid of the chopping block, elected to pursue a path of righteousness and religious morality. He enlisted in the Imperial Legion (where he picked up a few fundamentals of magic and trained with the sword and shield restlessly) and swore fealty to the Eight Divines and Emperor alike.

After two years of diligent service, he was promoted and stationed in Skyrim to assist in containing the Nordic uprising.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I still need to make up some sort of story for an Argonian male. If anyone has suggestions.. :cool:

Do you know about the shadow-scales? Argonians that hatch at a certain time in the calendar are brought up as shadow scales, trained from birth to serve the dark brotherhood, google it for more info on the lore.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I still need to make up some sort of story for an Argonian male. If anyone has suggestions.. :cool:

you could do something to explain his presence in Skyrim, what's his build? he could be fleeing for thugs because he loaned money and didn't pay back.
or rejected by his own race from black marsh because he was too interested in humans. maybe he is working at the docks in Windhelm, and is surpressed by the racist Nords. so he wants to take revenge! and so to join the empire. or to become an assasin.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
you could do something to explain his presence in Skyrim, what's his build? he could be fleeing for thugs because he loaned money and didn't pay back.
or rejected by his own race from black marsh because he was too interested in humans. maybe he is working at the docks in Windhelm, and is surpressed by the racist Nords. so he wants to take revenge! and so to join the empire. or to become an assasin.

I'm trying find information about Black Marsh and other provinces in Skyrim in order to come up with a good background story. But there's so many info I don't even know where to start 0_0 In the article about Black Marsh I read so much things I know nothing about (like the red mountain crisis and the Remam empire) that I do not even understand the text. XD

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
I'm trying find information about Black Marsh and other provinces in Skyrim in order to come up with a good background story. But there's so many info I don't even know where to start 0_0 In the article about Black Marsh I read so much things I know nothing about (like the red mountain crisis and the Remam empire) that I do not even understand the text. XD

You do have the Dragonborn expansion right?

Solstheim is covered in ashes, which came from the eruption of the Red mountain, I believe. I don't know much of the lore, but maybe I could help you understand?

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
You do have the Dragonborn expansion right?

Solstheim is covered in ashes, which came from the eruption of the Red mountain, I believe. I don't know much of the lore, but maybe I could help you understand?

I think I'm going to print some wiki articles and translate them for myself :)

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts