Avoiding smithing/enchanting/alchemy for balance?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I would like to avoid becoming too overpowered later in my character's development. Smithing, enchanting and alchemy seem to be commonly complained about as unbalancers. If I wanted to avoid unbalancing, would you suggest I avoid these skills entirely, or use them but don't spend perks on them, or use/perk some but not others?

Forumate

It depends on how you use them. If you just make your own potions, smith your own gear and enchant them than you will be fine. If you go crazy with making fortify enchanting potions and smithing potions with your super alchemy gear than you might be over powered later in the game.

BIGwooly

You might want to check out my thread on a 'hardcore' style of play. It makes the game very difficult and I would bet even if you went with smithing or enchanting or alchemy it would still be very challenging. The link is in my sig.

Couthful

Tamriel Adventurer
As Forumate states, they are okay on their own for the most part long as you don't stack up huge % Smithing\Enchanting potions. One-hand, Two-hand, and Archery become instant kills when the multipliers all add up especially with the perked 100%.

BIGwooly: I've started my second character, a High Elf\Dark Elf hybrid Imperial sympathizer using the Civil War as a means to get back at the Racist Ulfric. I'm starting with all the rules then only laxing on them if I'm getting owned hehe.

Daggers

Don't avoid them but don't go crazy. Like don't make 400 iron daggers to get to 100 smithing.

Also, don't powercraft your gear so that they are 'natural'.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
Improve these skills only when you really need then because your a level 30 warrior still using steel armour (no offense to anyone who does

Maz

As it stands, my current sneak-archer has 100smith for dragonscale, and altogether enchantments give it +86%archery, +35health. Only got like 50ish enchanting, with a few perks and thats it. So far it isn't that overpowered. Sneaking (3x damage) only sometimes 1hits people, rest of thhe time it halves their health.
Havnt touched alchemy so it all seems fine atm.

BIGwooly

BIGwooly: I've started my second character, a High Elf\Dark Elf hybrid Imperial sympathizer using the Civil War as a means to get back at the Racist Ulfric. I'm starting with all the rules then only laxing on them if I'm getting owned hehe.

Sounds fun! Prepare to get owned. Muahahaha. d;-)

BIGwooly

As it stands, my current sneak-archer has 100smith for dragonscale, and altogether enchantments give it +86%archery, +35health. Only got like 50ish enchanting, with a few perks and thats it. So far it isn't that overpowered. Sneaking (3x damage) only sometimes 1hits people, rest of thhe time it halves their health.
Havnt touched alchemy so it all seems fine atm.

Obviously everyone has different ideas of what constitutes overpowered. For me, personally, if I'm not ever dying then I feel overpowered. The threat of death is part of what makes a game interesting for me. So if I'm able to one-shot or even two-shot enemies then I'm not going to be dying ... ever. And to me, that means I'm overpowered. Each to their own, though.

Oren74

Just turn up the difficulty...I don't like purposely not doing something in a game.

That said, do have to agree with the powerlevelling alchemy, enchanting, and smithing. It's tempting, but best to not do it.

Thinking of restarting and playing the game without crafting equipment or without buying equipment. Will use coin for training only. Prob is, I'm level 49 now...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts