1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Attention Writers!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Rayven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ai Poisonleaf

Ai Poisonleaf Article Writer

This may be moot, being that I am just finding the game and the message boards--four years later! However, I have recently picked up the game and I simply love it. Essentially, for the past four years, my three kids had played the game, and now since they have finished it, I can actually sit-down with it. If you guys are still looking for article writers, I would love to participate. Of course if the time has passed, and writers are no longer needed, then no sweat. Simply let me know.

2. Cordelia

Cordelia Global Moderator
    Staff Member

We are always looking for new writers and new content. ^__^ Welcome to the forums, and Skyrim. I'm very glad you're enjoying it, as, even four years down the road, we're all still having a lot of fun with it, ourselves.

Do you have any ideas for articles, or things you'd like to explore?

3. Ai Poisonleaf

Ai Poisonleaf Article Writer

Right now, between the Dark Botherhood and the Thieves Guild, I am staying busy with contracts and I am clearly up to no good! Of all the holds, I favor Riften, and have become very intimate with the city and the ratways. I have all tbe DLCs, and I am completely immersed in the overall game. I prefer to walk the map versus fast-traveling, so I am building a deep knowledge base of the landscape. Writing articles from the POV of the character while traversing from quest-to-quest and from location-to-location would appeal to me, as well as a narrative of significant combat would be something that I could easily do.

4. Cordelia

Cordelia Global Moderator
    Staff Member

I like this angle. At this stage in Skyrim's existence, I think more "in character" article approaches make the articles themselves more engrossing than a simple, say, "How To" guide.

What I would caution you to focus on is more of how the information helps others -- whether you're coming at it from a "How to Beat X on Legendary" angle, or "The Thieve's Guide to Skyrim", it has to provide something to the player. Otherwise you're writing fan fiction, and we have a section for that, already. (I would also encourage you to have fun writing and posting fan fiction about your characters.) To this end, the stories you provide for articles should be narratively interesting, but also provide the information players are looking for.

I like to think of it as similar to the History series Vikings; the narrative is fictional, but it illuminates information that is, to the best of our ability to accurately deduce, historically accurate and relevant. For instance (and spoilers here), the characters live at a time prior to the raids on English shores, because they had no way of accurately traversing the oceans to the West. Until someone came up with a water compass, and someone found the "sunstone" to let them track the sun even when it was overcast. Where Hollywood (and for our purposes, fan fiction) would tailor the facts to suit the story, Vikings (and our articles) tailor the story to illustrate the facts.

So, each article from the perspective of your character would not be part of a continuous narrative (in that the next article would likely not pick up right where the last left off), but you could use one character's perspective throughout the articles. We did have another writer do something similar (Check out articles with "Mehitabel" in the title), but they have since become busy with life, so their articles are no longer forthcoming.

So, let me go ahead and add you to our Writers pool (it comes with a nice little pencil icon for you). All potential articles should be posted here (a forum which should become visible once you're in the Writers category), where they'll be held in draft form until approved for publication to maintain quality standards. (I hope you understand.)

5. Deadpool.

Deadpool. OG Forum member

I would love to do something like this.

I have an idea.. I don't know if you'll like it.. but I would like to write a series for the forums called..

THE SKYRIMMER'S GUIDE TO REAL LIFE
    targeted at the male demographic.. would need a female counterpart to do the female stuff :)

What exactly does this entail you ask? well ;)

-How to dress for an interview without looking like a frost troll
    -How to cook the perfect breakfast to please your inner Gormet (the chef from that dark brotherhood mission that you had to play)
    -How to polish your shoes better than the Emperor

And how excatly does this relate to Skyrim?

Oooo.. well I intend to add comedic references to Skyrim

If you want a sample of these fine works then contact me and I could make some for you ;)

6. BLUEMONGOOSE

BLUEMONGOOSE New Member

I would be extremely interested. I mastered the game on the 360 and I now have it on the one and I would be more than willing to inform people on my playstyle and things that I have discovered. Hope to be accepted to tell everyone what I know.

7. BLUEMONGOOSE

BLUEMONGOOSE New Member

I would be extremely interested. I mastered the game on the 360 and I now have it on the one and I would be more than willing to inform people on my playstyle and things that I have discovered. Hope to be accepted to tell everyone what I know.