Info Attention VETERAN RP folks

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
    Ok, I just thought of something right now, but I'm not entirely sure how it would be organized. I know a lot of times when people come in sad that they can't find an RP to join, the first thing I usually tell them is "well, why don't you create your own?" which in and of itself is quite intimidating to someone with limited experience. Any way we can set up a system to discuss potential new RP ideas? Or maybe even pair up a vet with a "student" (if you will) to guide them through the RP creating process....brainstorm ideas, that sort of thing. Thoughts?

Duon

Graphic Designer
    Weirdo's of the Night is taking over :eek:

A single recruiting thread would definitely work better then just the tagging system alone since people forget to update them. Everyone could post a quick summary introduction for there story and a link to there OOC. Would save people lots of time and help them discover a story that really interests them they might have overlooked just by browsing OOC's.

Netherworld

H. P. Lovecraft is my bitch.
    Ok, I just thought of something right now, but I'm not entirely sure how it would be organized. I know a lot of times when people come in sad that they can't find an RP to join, the first thing I usually tell them is "well, why don't you create your own?" which in and of itself is quite intimidating to someone with limited experience. Any way we can set up a system to discuss potential new RP ideas? Or maybe even pair up a vet with a "student" (if you will) to guide them through the RP creating process....brainstorm ideas, that sort of thing. Thoughts?

Sounds like a fair idea, but again, it takes a lot of time and effort on both sides. it would only work if people were dedicated an persevering, which is the foundation of any good RP anyway. ;) and frankly, before you start your own RP threads, I believe you have to participate at least in a few, just to get the feels. even the quickest of learners... :)

other than that, I must add this teacher & student thing sounds suspiciously like the Sith Rule of Two. :p

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
    Sounds like a fair idea, but again, it takes a lot of time and effort on both sides. it would only work if people were dedicated an persevering, which is the foundation of any good RP anyway. ;) and frankly, before you start your own RP threads, I believe you have to participate at least in a few, just to get the feels. even the quickest of learners... :)

other than that, I must add this teacher & student thing sounds suspiciously like the Sith Rule of Two. :p
    I agree, it really is time-consuming, but any RP really is. And I do definitely agree that participating in a few RPs first is important before going to create your own. Maybe host like a "class" sort of thing, with a "participate in an RP" prerequisite, maybe?

Netherworld

I agree, it really is time-consuming, but any RP really is. And I do definitely agree that participating in a few RPs first is important before going to create your own. Maybe host like a "class" sort of thing, with a "participate in an RP" prerequisite, maybe?

mm, you mean something along "RP creation 101"? yeah, that prerequisite would make sense, as it would serve to establish at least a feeling of how well the writer is versed in RP. :) you can hardly just jump in RP creation head on, without any research or preparation.

it'd be a really fun experience, though, to either participate or host that type of class :D

Duon

Graphic Designer
    Would be a nice way to possibly share ideas. I know people have good ideas for Roleplays all the time that they will never have the time to get around to; if you had a place you could throw those ideas out on a public forum where others could pick them up, expand and run with them that could be a good thing for the community. :eek:

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
    mm, you mean something along "RP creation 101"? yeah, that prerequisite would make sense, as it would serve to establish at least a feeling of how well the writer is versed in RP. :) you can hardly just jump in RP creation head on, without any research or preparation.

it'd be a really fun experience, though, to either participate or host that type of class :D
    Exactly. A place to bounce around ideas, get opinions, and get some guidance from the vets. Everything from content to form to RP rules and specific requirements for stories could be discussed. You have a question? Someone's got an answer. I know this exists-ish in some way on the RP section already (there is a sticky thread for general questions), but maybe if we could find a way to make it more visible and more new-person friendly, and more for creative development than the mechanics.

Netherworld

Exactly. A place to bounce around ideas, get opinions, and get some guidance from the vets. Everything from content to form to RP rules and specific requirements for stories could be discussed. You have a question? Someone's got an answer. I know this exists-ish in some way on the RP section already (there is a sticky thread for general questions), but maybe if we could find a way to make it more visible and more new-person friendly, and more for creative development than the mechanics.

yeah, I see what you're getting at. the thread that already exists is more for questions and the like, but you can't really share your plot bunnies and unleash them into the wilderness to procreate with others'. :p a thread where ideas for RP could be exchanged, enhanced and made better by collaboration of old vets with experience and newbies with fresh ideas would be great. :)

Znowcicle

Chimera~
    In regards to the tags on the threads, I'd like to be able to change my own title of my RP. I know I can contact a mod and ask them to change it if I need to recruit or I accidentally left something off, but then comes the problem with when I'm finished with recruiting I have to ask again for them to change it and I just don't want to bug them. It's also another thing that a lot of people who are looking for RPs don't read the first post in an OOC which is vitally important because it holds information that the creator wants everyone to know like the plot, and whatnot.

I think it's an excellent idea to have a thread specifically for recruiting people. It would make things a lot easier on people that are new, as has already been said.

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    Open = Established storyline. Accepting character applications.
    Private = Established Storyline. Not accepting new applications.
    18+ = Mature content
    Recruiting = Storyline creation in progress. Accepting new character applications.
    Info = Stuff you should be reading to stay updated with changes to the RP section.

Report a post in a thread if you need the prefix changed. Unless I'm on vacation, I have, at maximum, a 24 hour turnaround on the report queue for things like this.

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    With regards to the "openings" thread, my concern is that it will bloat up really fast and new folks won't necessarily click to view only the last page of a 20 page thread. If they start at page 1, they might start applying to stories when two pages later, a post says the position is filled.

Now what we can do is make one more subforum called "Recruiting" and then storytellers can post individual threads with their openings. And I can add special prefixes just for that section. When positions are filled, I can toggle the prefix to say so. Then hopefully, new callouts for characters will naturally float to the top of the list and filled positions will drift downward because things are listed by timestamp of the most recent post.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
    With regards to the "openings" thread, my concern is that it will bloat up really fast and new folks won't necessarily click to view only the last page of a 20 page thread. If they start at page 1, they might start applying to stories when two pages later, a post says the position is filled.

Now what we can do is make one more subforum called "Recruiting" and then storytellers can post individual threads with their openings. And I can add special prefixes just for that section. When positions are filled, I can toggle the prefix to say so. Then hopefully, new callouts for characters will naturally float to the top of the list and filled positions will drift downward because things are listed by timestamp of the most recent post.
    That sounds solid...like, say I start a new RP, post a "hi, here's what the RP is about, here's a link to the OOC, now sell me your soul" and then when it's filled reply with "thanks for the apps, but we're rolling now." Maybe a little blurb up at the top saying "don't respond to these, respond to the OOC" or even a post outlining how the section works so that way those threads don't get clogged up, otherwise we're in for the same situation we are now, just a different location. Give it a "Now Recruiting" tag and yay.

Sorry, this really more me trying to organise thoughts than anything else. It's been a long day. :p

Duon

Graphic Designer
    Is it possible to lock all threads in one sub-forum so only the posts creator has permission to reply to them? That would stop the problem of it just dissolving into a OOC category when people start applying there instead of following the link to apply. I don't know if that can be done or not though. :eek:

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    When I lock them, even the post creator can't post in them, unfortunately.

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    Ok, so part of the conversation with the academy has focused on how to determine if someone has the skills necessary to be ranked as a 'veteran' in the community.

Again, I'm looking for ideas to do this fairly, but accurately because I think the success of this program will hinge on the quality of the veterans.

One proposal is to write up a small RP scenario, and for each applicant, they would have to reply in character. Who the character is wouldn't matter. It's the applicant's choice.

then one more response from the tester and applicant.

Then the submission would be graded on a set of criteria. Language use and grammar would be a big portion of the score. Understanding what one can and cannot do with regards to the RP rules would be another section. Then perhaps one more section that is a bit more subjective and just scores how fun, interesting, creative and such the responses were.

Some total score would be tallied and a minimum would have to be met in order to be 'veteraned'.

what do you guys think of something like this?

Rayven

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    To clarify, I will probably score the first batch just to get some people in the fold. Then the applications could be spread amongst the current veterans in addition to me. I'm also thinking that each application can be scored twice by two different people then an average taken.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts