1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    Dismiss Notice

Info Attention VETERAN RP folks

Discussion in 'Skyrim Roleplaying' started by Rayven, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Rayven

Rayven Global Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been toying around with an idea but it would need the support of the RP community at large to make it work.

I've noticed a lot of people come and are interested in the RP section but their RP skills are extremely raw and unpolished. This makes them undesirable for campaigns where the stories are being written by a group of veterans. Many folks have expressed their discouragement and intimidation at trying to break into the RP groups because they feel their skill level doesn't match what they see.

So, my idea is to have one or more campaigns that are like "Newbie Academy" stories. One or two veterans would lead a story that is fairly simple. Perhaps something that could start at a pub (like usual) and have a single directed questline. We would have a limit as to how many new RPers could be in the story at once (maybe 2 per veteran). It would follow the standard RP rules that have been set for our site but it would allow the people trying to get started to work with veterans to tell their story in a way that is interesting, courteous to fellow RPers and gives them practice with the language skills necessary for truly excellent storytelling.

I think if we do this, we can not only introduce a whole new group to the joys of roleplaying, but we also get to teach our standard. If people are interested and take the direction well then show improvement over the storyline, we will be able to recommend them for the larger ongoing campaigns.

Let me know if any of you would be interested in helping out with such a thing.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    dunklunk: 18 Points (Might as well jump on the bandwagon, too. ;) :D) Feb 26, 2013
    Bruynzeel: 6 Points (Great Idea!) Feb 27, 2013
    Simus: 12 Points (Great idea Rayven!) Mar 14, 2013
  2. The_Deadliest_Troll

The_Deadliest_Troll Melon Lord

I would be more than happy to help out with something like this! As an aspiring teacher, I hope that I have the skills needed to take some wee-ones under my wing. And I hope I generally come off as friendly as well. :p

Not that I'm saying I'm the greatest RPer, but I've been doing it for a while now; and I like to think that my writing is creative, interesting and grammatically correct. Heehee :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Lady Imp

Lady Imp Rabid Wolverine

As someone who didn't get into roleplaying until I joined the site, I think it's an awesome idea. It's really intimidating to be a noob and wanting to participate. One thing I would recommend though is to keep the pace slow. One thing that got me really nervous was I would be trying to type out a well thought-out post, and everyone in the RP would be jumping ahead at such a rate that by the time I was done, my post was so last week. I really don't like post limits in an RP, but perhaps the vets could keep an eye out if things are happening too rapid-fire so as to not intimidate newcomers.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Rayven

Rayven Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I also want to make sure that the people helping with this are more of the teacher-type and not the elitist RP GOD type. The point is to help the community, not to bash people for their lack of skill. I've yet to hear of someone born with RP skills and we all started out knowing nothing in the beginning.

I've seen too many people insulted and torn down because they don't meet the standards set by others and that's absolutely not what I'm after here. I don't want those people or that element involved.

We have a lot of really talented and really helpful folks on here and I hope this idea attracts them.

I think you'd be a great fit, Troll. You have just the mix of hilarity, skill and thick skin I think will be necessary for anyone taking on this project.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The_Deadliest_Troll

Totally agree. I know that in the stories that I've created, I usually tend to impose a post-per-day limit. I find that when people get left behind by other, more active members, the RP falls apart. And I am sure it can be intimidating and discouraging for a newbie to spend an hour writing a marvelous post only to have it kind of interrupted by a bunch of other posts. Some sort of post limitation would be a must if I was one of these so-called "veterans." I find that it makes for much higher quality posts any way.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. death raider

death raider Thalmor Ambassador

I would like to offer my help and try and help rpers grow. I have set up quite a few rp's on this site and each one has been fairly successful so I would consider myself as a veteran rper. So yeah I would love to help out! :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. The_Deadliest_Troll

Aww gee, thanks Rayven! :D <3 And really, if you're looking for some help to get this started, I'd be ready and willing to work with you to come up with ideas on implementing this and getting the ball rolling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Rayven

Rayven Global Moderator
    Staff Member

That'd be fantastic. Perhaps I'll start a PM with a couple people to help flesh out the idea. Like I said, it's been something bouncing around in my head and I've not totally mapped it. But I've seen a few posts lately that brought the idea back into the forefront of my mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. The_Deadliest_Troll

I've seen those too, and I understand why a lot of people would be so ready to turn some of these newbies away. That's why I think this is a great idea! We can not only get these folks started in an RP on this site, but also form an environment where their skills are improved. Kudos Rayven.

A couple other people really come to mind when I think about this, and I'm sure they'll see this thread but I'm going to tag them for good measure. ;) Znowcicle Melee

EDIT: OH and dunklunk

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. death raider

death raider Thalmor Ambassador

*cough* *cough* erm troll what about me ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. The_Deadliest_Troll

Haha you're already in the thread, silly goose. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. A.Auditore

A.Auditore maybe...

Yeah Znow and Melee great rpers and I really like the way they word their posts makes mine eh :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Doctor Langstrom

Doctor Langstrom I want to be FEARED!

I'm a seasoned RPer, just not one on this website. I have an extremely simple style which is best suited to more of a chat environment as opposed to a forum one. However, as an experienced writer, I wouldn't mind take a shot at this. I could step up something very easily, if I can find the time.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Leseras

Leseras Darkness guides me.

I've done plenty of RP's at other sites. Just not this one, so my formatting at this site might be a little iffy. I wouldn't mind contributing. Helping people is always fun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Deadpool.

Deadpool. OG Forum member

i would love this to happen! rayven your a genius!!!;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Aerin

Aerin IOK's Token Brit

I'd love to offer my help but I'm relatively new to rping myself so I don't know if I would be of much use. This is a great idea though, so if I can support this in anyway trust me I will!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. A.Auditore

A.Auditore maybe...

.nods. Mmhmm mhmm forgot to say that I'd be willing to help .sips coffee.

• Like Like x 2
  18. itsLilBeastHD

itsLilBeastHD Jason, Modder.

Back when i was 16 i used to rp a lot, i'd be interested in getting back into it to help out if needbe.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Google

Google Well-Known Member

I love this idea! I'm wondering if someone could evaluate my RP posts. The evaluation would be helpful as it would tell me if I could help with the "Newbie Academy" or if I would need to improve my skills beforehand.

Edit: It's funny that I've been RP'ing for more than a year and I'm still critical of my own RP skills.

• Like Like x 2
  20. The_Deadliest_Troll

I just had an interesting idea because you said this, Mr. Search Engine. This could be also used, not only for people who are new to RPing, but also for people who have been doing it for a while but think they might like to improve thier skills in any area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1