• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Breton

Valdimar is the housecarl for Windstad Manor in Hjaalmarch after you become Thane for that Hold.
You can see the back of Proudspire in the distance from there !

Rayya the Redguard in Falkreath and Gregor in The Pale.

Thanks. That's great, I like the area at Hjaalmarch too, so I build there first. Plus it's convenient to get to Solitude for supplies :)

rittz

I'm kind of sad that we can't personalize the houses just a little bit.

The character I've been playing with is evil, through and through. I was hoping for the option of having Daedric shrines and stuff like that. I can't wait to adopt a kid and give them a dagger, though. lol Is that so they can defend themselves from kidnappers, or was someone at Bethesda just like, "Well, we don't have a lot of options for gifts, so.. Daggers!"

DeathbyDD

I just fully completed my first house (one near solitude). I got a couple of questions that maybe chu guyz can answer for meh..

1. Is it true that you can only adopt a grand total of two kids? Or is it two kids per house with a child's bedroom? Cuz I already adopted a random kiddo that was wondering around a farmstead complaining about how his folks died 'in da war' and there are plenty of other kids I'd like to help out. I think I sent him to my house in Rifton b/c it was the only one that at that point had a child's room.

2. Can you change where your kids live? And how? B/c I wanna build my falkreath home next and I'll make it an actual home as opposed to just AWESOME. Like, it will have a bedroom and kitchen and stuff so lots of people can live there all comfy (as opposed to my solitude home that has an enchanter's tower and an armory and trophyroom...just doesn't seem kid-friendly! ^_^

And 3..
Um, I had a house carl from solitude as my follower when I bought the solitude piece of land. And instantly offered her the position as my steward there. Then the guy from Morthol came over and is hanging around there too, killing bandits and stuff. That on top of my animals and bard and coach driver makes for a pretty NEAT collection of staff.
My question: Is there a way to 'fire' my solitude housecarl from the steward position? I read somewhere that you can offer the job to just about any follower, and I'd rather have my housecarls guard the homes of their respective cities (cuz its more kewl that way). XD

I have brought a couple of followers with me to the house then told 'em to scram, then quickly got the solitude houscarl/steward to follow me then talked to the person I brought with me hoping they would want the position but there is no such option. I tried to get the Mortal housecarl to take the job too but it seems the position is filled. SO, is there a way to hire a steward once you give 'em the job?

DeathbyDD

To that end, why is it they had to have the little girl voice actress have a lisp? It gets really annoying after a while.

I'm nearly done with my third house now just finding all the materials for the shrines, but honestly, while I do like the DLC..... I kinda wanted more. Like I want a cook, a servents quarters apart from the house, a maid a butler, and farmland with farmers. Like a whole estate. Maybe even a small town. Can't complain about 5$ of content but I easily would have paid another 20 for your own hold. Start with a manor, which becomes a jarls hall, have a moot to declare you jarl of... *epic pause* Helgen! I kno it's part of the rift... Or whiterun hold, but they're kinda far from Helgen and how cool would it be/ ironic if you could?
That would be so AWESOMETASTIC! XD

Adam Warlock

I just fully completed my first house (one near solitude). I got a couple of questions that maybe chu guyz can answer for meh..

1. Is it true that you can only adopt a grand total of two kids? Or is it two kids per house with a child's bedroom? Cuz I already adopted a random kiddo that was wondering around a farmstead complaining about how his folks died 'in da war' and there are plenty of other kids I'd like to help out. I think I sent him to my house in Rifton b/c it was the only one that at that point had a child's room.

2. Can you change where your kids live? And how? B/c I wanna build my falkreath home next and I'll make it an actual home as opposed to just AWESOME. Like, it will have a bedroom and kitchen and stuff so lots of people can live there all comfy (as opposed to my solitude home that has an enchanter's tower and an armory and trophyroom...just doesn't seem kid-friendly! ^_^

And 3..
Um, I had a house carl from solitude as my follower when I bought the solitude piece of land. And instantly offered her the position as my steward there. Then the guy from Morthol came over and is hanging around there too, killing bandits and stuff. That on top of my animals and bard and coach driver makes for a pretty NEAT collection of staff.
My question: Is there a way to 'fire' my solitude housecarl from the steward position? I read somewhere that you can offer the job to just about any follower, and I'd rather have my housecarls guard the homes of their respective cities (cuz its more kewl that way). XD

I have brought a couple of followers with me to the house then told 'em to scram, then quickly got the solitude houscarl/steward to follow me then talked to the person I brought with me hoping they would want the position but there is no such option. I tried to get the Mortal housecarl to take the job too but it seems the position is filled. SO, is there a way to hire a steward once you give 'em the job?
if you`ve got the proper furnishings there , tell your spouse to move and the kid(s) will go with her(him).
Only 2 kids per customer.

I don`t think you can reverse Steward choice without reloading a save

LiL KiNG

So I haven't bought a plot of land yet because I've been hoping location pics would show up on the internet fairly quickly, but from those of you who have custom houses now which do you think is the best location (view, distance to nearest market, etc)?
I really like the Breezeway Home, even if its kinda small, because its centrally located and has a good amount of merchants nearby to include 3 smithing vendors! I'd like a bigger home where I can do all my crafting in house instead of running around town but I'm seeing things like 'this home has an alchemist tower, this one an enchanting tower', can you not have all the crafting tables in one house? I don't care for adopting kids at this time, or a wife for that matter, but are they needed to defend your home?
What happens if giants attack and you're not there? From what I've seen giants kill pretty much anyone and I've even watched one beat a dragon to death when it was dumb enough to land near the giant. It would suck to return home to find your steward/wife dead from a random event that took place without your knowledge.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
My first house was much more of a home. So I went with bedrooms/storage/kitchen

My second house is my mancave. So enchanter tower/trophy room/armory

My third house is a more "think tank" so library, alchemist tower, greenhouse.
(repost from previous discussion)

I will say though... Almost 1000 iron ingots later... My pockets are quite, thin.

Thanks, but I meant architectural style. Do they all look like the golden-roofed Whiterun homes or are some more Windhelm or other style?

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
Thanks, but I meant architectural style. Do they all look like the golden-roofed Whiterun homes or are some more Windhelm or other style?

Xbox friend of mine says they're all Whiterun ones.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
There is only one style. I would have like for a dwemer style house like Vindrel Hall

*sigh* I guessed as much. I was really hoping that tho DLC would've been more fleshed out. I guess we just have another horse armor / crossbow (only 2 types :sadface:). It's just sad considering that they had all of the UI and architectural elements to allow dwemer-style homes. I hope to see Falmer-stone homes in future DLC.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I wouldn't be surprised if this feature comes standard on future Elder Scroll and I hope Fallout games.

Clau

The Fateless One

Adam Warlock

stagnant94

skyrim, the only game that makes a good thing out of killing people and stealing their children.

that redguard child in markarth, can i adopt her if i... um. 'take her parents out of the equation'

Adam Warlock

So I haven't bought a plot of land yet because I've been hoping location pics would show up on the internet fairly quickly, but from those of you who have custom houses now which do you think is the best location (view, distance to nearest market, etc)?
I really like the Breezeway Home, even if its kinda small, because its centrally located and has a good amount of merchants nearby to include 3 smithing vendors! I'd like a bigger home where I can do all my crafting in house instead of running around town but I'm seeing things like 'this home has an alchemist tower, this one an enchanting tower', can you not have all the crafting tables in one house? I don't care for adopting kids at this time, or a wife for that matter, but are they needed to defend your home?
What happens if giants attack and you're not there? From what I've seen giants kill pretty much anyone and I've even watched one beat a dragon to death when it was dumb enough to land near the giant. It would suck to return home to find your steward/wife dead from a random event that took place without your knowledge.
yes , all crafting stations are available without necessarily choosing a special wing for it. don`t need wings at all if u like because alchemy and enchanting tables can be placed in main hall and full smithing stations with smelter can be installed outside or in the cellar(or both).

Attacks randomly occur when you are at your home but I`ve never seen evidence of anything happening while you`re away.
Livestock is a primary target for your enemies and so far I have lost 2 horses , 2 chickens , and a cow to a giant , a dragon , and a couple of bandits(2 homes)

Best location ?
All the new country houses are out in the sticks and walking to market(s) not very practical.
Falkreath , Morthal , and Dawnstar don`t offer everything at one location like the walled cities do.
If you don`t fast-travel , I`d pick Heljarchen because it`s on the extreme southern edge of the Pale and within view(distant) of Whiterun

andrew9300

skyrim, the only game that makes a good thing out of killing people and stealing their children.

that redguard child in markarth, can i adopt her if i... um. 'take her parents out of the equation'

You would need to kill the girl's parents. She will be sent to Honorhall Orphanage where she should be ready to adopt.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
You would need to kill the girl's parents. She will be sent to Honorhall Orphanage where she should be ready to adopt.

We... are the best hero ever, lol.

Dar'Neko

Qahnaarin
Where the hell do I find straw for building my house :sadface: I found everything except straw...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts