OOC Assist with backstory of my illusion warrior

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

ronal1

Hello, i am new to forums, so i hope i got the correct category.

I want fellow roleplayer's help, to find reason in my characters skillset.

My nord is a warrior, stormcloak fighting for his land. He tends to be honest and reliable, but he will also fight dirty if he has to.
    So i play with sword and shield, sneak, and some supportive illusion and restoration.
    Now, here is the catch, even when i use skills the game views as magic, the character sees it otherwise.
    When i use restoration, its not magic, but generally, medical knowledge to treat his wounds.

I want some help in the backstory of illusion. Here is what i think, if something feels wrong, tell me please.

Calm- As a good person, he uses his charisma to negotiate without conflict.
    Fear- intimidate your opponents with your skill and shout (like battle cry)
    Frezy- i couldnt think of anything, but i dont use it, so i dont care

Muffle- Concentrate on your steps, so you dont make any significant sound.
    Invisibility-(only use it, for 1-2 seconds, to ensure a backstab). Kick dirt in opponents eyes, or fake an attack to mislead them, to attack them in the split second with a cheap attack.

What do you think?

Cordelia

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    I wouldn't call it "backstory" so much as non-magic justification. I've done the reverse, before. Because there was a set of spells in Oblivion specifically for opening locks, it means it's established in the lore the spell exists. In Skyrim, if you're playing a mage who would have no reason to know how to physically pick a lock, you're not given a choice in the matter; you either physically pick the lock, or you never get what's behind locked doors and lids.

Or, you pick the lock because mechanics say you have to, and overwrite that in your head canon with casting an open lock spell.

The non-magical options you've chosen sound believable to me.

For invisibility, I might just pretend your focus on movement and precision are so keen you were legitimately unobserved. Unless you turn invisible in the middle of battle, that would be more like a dirty trick, like throwing sand, kicking dirt, feint attacks, etc.

Frenzy/Fury is a beautiful spell, and one of my personal favorites. Best non-magical parallel I could imagine off the top of my head would be either convincing people in the middle of battle they can't trust each other and eventually one turns on the other, or imagining you falsified some record at some point -- misplaced important objects, wrote incriminating journal entries, something along that line-- to cause one to turn on another. It's a less straight forward kind of parallel, but maybe it gets the creative ball rolling for you.

ronal1

Thank you, i have tried many forums, you are the first person to get my idea from start. Both frenzy and invi explanation, i agree with.

Can be same be used for shadow warrior perk? (practically, its similar to invisibility)

Cordelia

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    I don't see why not. Use whatever works for the situation.

Remember, whether you're writing, roleplaying, or living it, you're always going to use whatever tactic fits the moment. You may have a favorite move that works almost all the time, but you should also be capable of adapting that move when variables change. No one does anything the exact same way twice, and neither should your character.

Use whatever the situation demands, and write it however you want in your head canon. It's your game, after all. ^__^

Cordelia

Global Moderator
    Staff member
    I think you'll find most of the community is like this. I hope very much you find more to like, both in the active threads, and the active members. Welcome to the forum, Ronal. :)

Hmm, so you're looking for a backstory... how about this?

Origins- street rat. A petty thief and master con-man in his early life, one day caught red-handed by the commander of the then Imperial guards posted in the city. Took him under his wing and trained him in the art of the warrior, all the while polishing his inborn skills of a slippery rogue. He became the member of the Imperial spies and was posted into an Imperial legion to fish out the Aldmeri spies that had infiltrated the Imperial army. When the war broke out, however, he and his mentor, both Nords, sided with the Stormcloaks and he has been using his skills to help Ulfric and his army ever since.

About the justifications of Illusion and Restoration... well, I kinda have to think about it, but I generally agree with @Cordelia on all of the points.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts