1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

PS3 Asassin/Healer (Build Discussion)

Discussion in 'Skyrim Guides and Tutorials' started by Dorian Saignren, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Dorian Saignren

Dorian Saignren Prince of Masks

I've tried my hand here and there on various builds, seeing what I liked to use and what I didn't during play, and I've decided to start over and properly plan out a build now.

Looking at the skill sets and some of the equipment and just general gameplay, I've kind of settled on this as a loose guideline> Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! (I stopped at 70 because even with some massive grinding I don't know of I'll get past that. More likely I won't even reach 70.)

Any suggestions or thoughts? I know well how I play, my style pretty much emphasizing hit-and-run and guerrilla tactics, with the occasional necessary hack-and-slash frenzy. The name of the game (for me anyway) is "patience" and with enough of it finding patterns is a piece of cake.

A few notes in case someone wants to mention the following perks and why I didn't take them:
    Fighting Stance (and beyond)> I don't expect I'll be doing much melee if I play my cards right, so I'd rather go for speed attacks than power attacks since with any luck it'll only take a few hits to take out the target.
    Deft Movement> I didn't take it because I honestly don't think I'll be in heavy combat enough to make much use out of a 1/10 chance of ignoring a blow.
    Shadow Warrior> A relatively low powered top perk in my opinion. If someone emphasizes Stealth enough than the "distant" opponents shouldn't get close enough to you by the time the alert reticle hits "hidden" again. And if they do start to get too close, a quick sprint in the opposite direction usually does the trick.

I intend to start the game as a Dunmer, primarily for aesthetic purposes, but I also think that the Ancestor's Wrath can severely help in those rare occasions I have to melee. That and the fire resistance will help significantly when combating most dragons. I will welcome comments for or against this racial choice as well though, so feel free. Over time I may actually choose to re-start with a different race and/or further modifications to the early stages of this build.

That about sums up anything I can immediately foresee having to explain, though I'll gladly answer any questions.

EDIT: Oh, right, and I'll be posting bits and pieces of info as I play through the game, ie changes I decide on, grinding strategies, etc.

2. ShadowGambit

ShadowGambit Active Member

First, welcome to the Forum.

Now, about your build.

Archery: I would drop Critical Shot, they are not worth it. Only take Critical Shot 1/3 as a prerequisite for Ranger (a good perk combine with Steady Hand). Critical shot bonus is base on the BASE damage of your bow, so you will get a max bonus of 20pts or so and it is counted at the end. For me, useless when you already do hundreds of damage with your bow. I would take Power Shot instead, staggers your enemies so you can fire even more arrow at them before they reach you.

One Handed: Bladesman is the same as Critical Shots, as the critical bonus are calculated the same way. I would drop it. Dual Wield is your choice, but my guess is that you will mostly do damage with your bow. Also, if you dual Wield, you won't be able to cast your Illusion spells. I'd rather have a Pacify or an Invisibility spell in my off hand. I can escape and find another nice spot to shoot people.

Light Armor: Looking at your Smithing skill, you are going for the dragonscale armor and maybe dragon weapons if you have dawnguard/mods. You will not need Matching set. I don't even think you will need Agile Defender 5/5. 3/5 should be enough to reach the cap if I'm not wrong, as you don't have alchemy and will only using in game + fortify Smithing potions. Also, if you are stealthy enough and know your strategy, armor becomes optional because you will not get hit that often.

Sneak: The left side of the tree is an overkill if you have spells like Muffle and Invisibility. The Muffle spell is the equivalent of Silence (100% noise reduction) and invisibility is self explanatory. Now, you are just missing the cool move of Silent roll... Also Stealth 5/5 is too much. You will be fine with Sneak 100 and Stealth 1/5.

Illusion: If you stick ONLY with Muffle and Invisibility, your set up is fine. If you intend to use Frenzy/Fury and Calm/Pacify, you should take Dual Casting and Master of the mind spells. Those 2 will allow you to have you spells to work on most enemies, even at higher levels.

Restoration: your build has the "healer" in his name so I get the fact that you want Restoration. But truthfully, you will rarely heal yourself in combat, trying to escape/disappear first. Now, outside of combat, the perk you took are not necessary. Outside of combat you have time to heal and regen as much as you want. As a sneaky character, you choose WHEN to initiate combat, so it means only when you are fully ready. Also, if you set up your enchanting gear well enough, you won't need to regen magicka and Stamina that much. At last resort, always carry around vegetable Soups and Fondue. I would drop the Restoration tree entirely (except if you want to go Vampire, then I would take Necromage). But then you are loosing your "healer" side...

Doing all of this, it should take you down to less than 60 perks needed, so you don't have to "grind" that much.

3. Dorian Saignren

Thankyou for the welcome ^^

Hmm... Alot of what you're saying makes sense. But there are a few issues I can see happening depending on what happens during the course of the game... Making some revisions to the build, and I'll address each of your points in order as well.

Archery: I definitely see what you're saying. I hadn't known it only applies to base damage. Taking that into consideration I may want to factor in Quick Shot and Bull's-eye as optional perks if I pass the 60 mark.

One-Handed: Again, the crit/base dmg tip helps alot. As for general dual-wielding, I definitely enjoy it though I don't use it as often because like you said I focus more on Archery. The dual-wielding perks are more along the lines of late-game additions, particularly when things get hairy and I'm mobbed. Having a pair of swords is definitely nice when you're up against a heavy hitter too. Not to mention that time literally stops as you're switching equipment (and your left hand doesn't usually go through animations for changing what's equipped) so switching back and forth isn't too much of a hassle for me.

Light Armor: That last remark there rings true, a good assassin is never seen. However a better one is prepared for the absolute worst. I didn't manually calculate out the armor rating either, so I'm not sure when I'll hit the cap. That being said it's unlikely I'll have a full set of Dragonscale armor as I go through the game, particularly if I factor in early-game grinding tactics for certain skills which powerlevel me pretty early. Still one of the first things I max out is Sneak so much of the game I do have some play room with my armor.

Sneak: As I said, I max my Sneak quite early, so I definitely see your point there. However getting my hands on the spells doesn't happen as early as I'd like (though it's usually not too far ahead). Still that's easily remedied by stripping for certain shady acts like Pickpocketing. That being said, my Sneak tree looks pitifully bare for a character that revolves around that for the most part lol.

Illusion: I definitely don't intend to use those often, no offence. I understand they're tactically useful and could make the game that much easier, but I don't want to cut through the game like a hot knife through butter. Plus I usually avoid such magicks in almost every game I play. Personally as well as RP wise I find tactics that involve messing with someone's mind rather distasteful. Sure, this is a fantasy world in a video game and there is no real "mind", but what's the fun of an RPG without the RP?

Restoration: I can understand why you'd want me to drop the Restoration tree, however I know damn well I'm going to bite off more than I can chew sometime, I always do. Particularly with early leveling and not having the proper equipment I tend to slip up a few times. Noone's perfect, plus that adds a bit of occasional thrill to the game too (particularly when trying to level my Pickpocketing and getting caught a few times...dealing with a horde of guards and pissed off villagers is one hell of a party sometimes, though I try to avoid killing villagers unless I know they're useless). And I may actually choose to go Vampire at some point with this character as well, though I'm not sure about that just yet.

Dawnguard/Modding: I thought this deserved its own section. I'm playing on PS3 (hence the label) so I don't have Dawnguard yet, and I haven't the faintest idea how to mod a PS3. If I had a decent computer the story would definitely be different... Hell I'd be making my own custom armor (I modded the plops out of my Fable: TLC game on my old computer... Spent a good solid year doing nothing but modding once I got it. Before that I only had it on XBOX and I'd beat it a good 30 times already and wrote two mini-guides for it.) Still once I get my hands on Dawnguard I'll definitely have some fun with that at least.

This is by no means going to be my only character though. Once I get settled on this role/build I'll begin working on another, most likely a 2H/Destruction berserker.

As for my grinding, really the only guaranteed grinding I do is my early-game Sneak grind session. I avoided it the first two or three trial runs in the game, but as with Morrowind and Oblivion before it, I always find a sweet-spot as early as I can to max that out. In Skyrim particularly I like the cave right off the bat, there's a nice little notch in the rocks near that first bear that works perfectly for a nice little Sneak loop, I usually at LEAST get it up past 60 there with the help of a loose rubber-band and a half broken controller, after that I usually start getting sick of whatever anime I'm watching to pass the time. If I try to let it get up to 100 it usually takes a good 4 hours or more (never really timed it). Other grinding methods I dabble with include the Soul Trap method (to get Conjuration high for the level bonuses alone if needed), various money making methods, and Placing/Pickpocketing gold back and forth. Though I do mess with about every skill on occasion just to work on leveling a bit sometimes.

As for first gear-set, I always go after the Thalmor robes right away and stick to them until it becomes a problem. I still hang on to them though for when I'm walking around in a city, I just LOVE the design x3

Something else to consider, I do occasionally dabble in Destruction magicks, and I do focus on getting all the spells any-damn-way, and I hoard random plops (like every single useful book, quest related books, skill books, even a few books I simply enjoy.. and I ALWAYS keep the first Dragonborn book, just because x3)

Forgive a bit of the randomness, I get like this at 3-something in the morning with energy drinks in my system. Not to mention bipolar can be fun if you can control the triggers well enough :3

By the way... If anyone knows some decently legit PS3 modding methods that aren't too heavy on the technical end (and don't require cracking the case) let me know, I am curious though I've never actually looked into it. If I can find a reasonably safe and easy way to do it I may actually consider delving into that field.

I've made a few changes to my perk list though I'm not going to update the link just yet. I'll wait a bit before I do that I think. To summarize the changes made though:
    (lv60)
    Critical Shot -2
    Hunter's Disciplines +1
    Ranger +1
    Power Shot +1
    Quick Shot +1
    Bladesman -3
    Matching Set -1
    Stealth -4
    Muffled Movement -1
    Lightfoot -1
    Silent Roll -1
    Silence -1

4. ShadowGambit

First, sorry I didn't notice the PS3 label on the title :sadface:

Ok, if you don't like Illusion for other than Muffle and Invisibility, then drop the skill tree entirely. I would go Alchemy instead. I think alchemy will give you much more flexibility. First, it will give you Invisibility potion. Second, you will have +% Fortify Archery. You will also have Regen potions and poisons. You can get also +% fortify sneak potion if you feel necessary at a time. There are no muffle potion, but you can get muffle as an enchantment. So, when you look at it now, The 2 illusion spells are covered and you will not need any perks in Illusion (quiet casting is therefore not necessary anymore, as you won't need to quietly cast).

I don't like Destruction magic for a sneaky character, it is not discreet at all and will erase the benefits of your main defense: staying stealthy.

You talk about Bull's eye perk. I would not go for it. The reason is that, even if a 10s paralyze is VERY good, when your target is paralyzed, he lays flat on teh ground, making it MUCH harder to hit from a distance.

Depending on the type of bow you are using, Quick shot may not be useful. If you use Light Bows (Elven/Glass) then you will see no real difference, so don't take it. If you use Heavy bow (Ebony, Daedric Nightingale), then you will notice a difference of 1 to 2s in your firing speed overall. It may be useful. Remember that because you went the Light Armor way in Smithing, an Elven Bow will do more damage than a Daedric bow after upgrade.

I personally use only Elven equipment and Nightingale cowl because of its look. I have a Black Elven Equipment Mod though. With my Smithing, Alchemy and enchanting at top, My armor takes me to the armor cap. And I only use Agile defender 1/5 and Custom fit as light armor perks, not that I'm getting discovered and hit often anymay.

5. Dorian Saignren

Well the destruction magic is really only used in cases where it would be obviously useful, take for example fleeing a Troll and while you're backing up giving it a nice double dose of some Fire spell. It's not common enough for me to want to get Perks in Destruction, however it has helped me out of a pinch before.

The Elven equipment would look great in black I admit, unfortunately I can't really go that route thanks to using a PS3. Admittedly the Ebony armor is probably my favorite aesthetically but I'm not going for Heavy Armor here. Though with certain Enchantments it could prove a viable option but I think the cons slightly outweigh the pros for that route.

I'll consider looking into the Alchemy route a bit, though I think Ingredient availability would also contribute to the decision quite a bit. Still it would prove useful if I get it high enough, considering I could also drop Restoration a bit (keeping my actual Healing spell usage to pretty much leveling and down-time usage).

I know you mentioned food earlier, I've noticed that the weight of food drastically outweighs the usefulness of it except in a few emergency cases where I accidentally have some. I'd much rather stick to selling food whenever I get my hands on it lol.

I think I may have grown too used to using an Orcish bow due to having stolen and enchanted one with soul trapping early in my last trial run, and I noticed the draw speed of the bow was too slow for rapid combat use. However if lighter bows draw faster than I may stick to them in this run.

As for mods, had I been able to mess with them enough, most likely the first thing I'd have done was heavily examine the various methods for tweaking armor and weapons. Than I'd adjust everything to suit my personal tastes, likely combining a mask with a retextured Thalmor set (maybe even setting up a mod so that the hood and mask are actually a separate piece of equipment if it's easy enough) and likely setting it to a level that I'd be able to reach the cap with it eventually. Though that of course would all depend on the ease-of-use for Skyrim modding tools. Though I have yet to see every gear set in the world so I may change my mind later in the game as I find certain sets or unique items.

6. ShadowGambit

Yes food is heavy at the end. But some cooked food, like Vegetable Soup and Elsweyr Fondue (you cannot buy them, you have to cook them) weight the same as a potion and are even better than regen potion.

You should take a look into it.

7. Dorian Saignren

8. ShadowGambit

In my experience Experimenter doesn't worth it. It is a waste of the ingredient.

if you want to know what each ingredient do, just go here:

Skyrim Alchemy Profitability Calculator

Just take Alchemist 5/5? Physician and Benefactor, it would be enough

9. Dorian Saignren

Hmm by my understanding the possibly most valuable potion you can make would be by combining Invisibility, Regenerate Health, Fortify Light Armor, and Cure Disease into one potion (the resulting value being 644). Damn that sounds like a stealth/skirmish style potion and would be an epic potion to have for my play style regardless O.O

Glad you pointed that out to me, I was going based on various lists of crap until now.