Are there any features you like from Morrowind that were not in the successors?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jeruhmi

You really should play it at some point. It's like if Oblivion was the high school quarterback, then Morrowind is the smart kid who grew up to be Oblivion's boss, owns Oblivion's house, and dates Oblivion's wife on the side.
Hmm. I only just started playing Oblivion again lately so I don't think there will be much time for Morrowind. Oh well, my loss.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yep, the lack of lore and the generic environment really pushed Oblivion away from the top of the list of my all time favorite RPGs. Hopefully Skyrim brings back that feeling. Actually, I think I saw a video that said the devs recognized that it was missing and wanted to have skyrim feel a bit more like Morrowind.
I think Oblivion had a lot of lore, especially with Shivering Isle DLC. I never played Morrowind so I guess I don't have a frame of reference. Still, I'm looking forward to Skyrim, mostly because of the lore :]

Flamingtaco

$20 is too high for me anyway. I've considered getting it but with SKyrim so near I decided against it. Maybe one day it will go free like daggerfall and I'll play it. Although it looks like combat kinda sucks, I've heard there are throwing knives in it. A small feature but that would be cool in SKyrim. Also the world looks much more interesting than cyrodil and that seems to be the biggie for most peopke.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
20$?? You can get it from much lower price, well, almost anywhere. I think I bought mine for 5$. The game store you guys are using is ripping you off.

Flamingtaco

Well thats steam. I dont really know where else. I think amazon might be like $20 for the conplete pack with expansions and thats all they have. Does GOG have it?

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Nope, they don't have it. Why not to try looking from local retail stores or internet based movieshops? You never know what you might stumble upon.

Flamingtaco

My only local store is gamestop so ill prObably just wait for a sale on steam. With skyrim released i wouldnt be surprised if oblivion and morrowind get huge sales

Flamingtaco

yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Also the world itself was amazing, creepy, unique and fun to play in, so please bring back that as well.
I think that they plan on using the gameplay additions from oblivion, but this is really more of a sequel to morrowind in spirit.

demujin

From what I've heard and seen Morrowind seemed like a really great game. If Skyrim brings content from Morrowind then it should work nicely.
My first Elders Scrolls game was Morrowind. It was one of those games that left an indelible mark on me. It was a beautiful, amazing, immersive game. It didn't hold your hand like Oblivion.

The game had a cumbersome combat system, but aside from that, I think it was brilliant, much better than oblivion. You had more freedom than oblivion. And, there was no fast travel. You could travel quickly, but you had to use the in world systems, of which there were many. This made the game more realistic and immersive, imo. I remember having to think up the most efficient way to get across the map. You had your options. For example: Silt Striders (like the carriage in Skyrim) in many towns; Mages Guild portal network; Boats at port cities, and 'mark' and 'recall' spells (incredibly useful). On top of that there was a semi-secret ancient Dwemer portal network connecting the major Dwemer forts throughout the map. However, this was really a special achievement to use because you had to find all of the corresponding crystals scattered throughout the world.

Also, the game had levitation. you could go to Vivec city, give an offering to a shrine, a be granted levitation for 24 in game hours. It was really useful at early levels. And for better or worse, with custom spells you could create some god like abilities like jumping over mountains, and slow falling to land safely.

And one more thing: The was no scaled leveling, like in Oblivion. This meant that some areas were simply way too difficult for a low level player. it also meant you could find the strongest weapons and armor early on, if you knew where to look. For example. To get the strongest light armor in the game, one had to be able to open a 100 level lock, and of course know where it was. No item leveling.

The game had its flaws and it is quite dated. I think the combat system is much better in the later games. But Morrowind beats Oblivion in story and immersion.

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
I loved Morrowind but I don't think I truly ever understood it mainly because I was about 9 or 10. If you find Dragons scary, you should see some of the monsters they had in Morrowind. Was crazy. Always disappointed though because if you look at the map of Tamriel, Morrowind only included the island of Vvardenfell and not the part of Morrowind which was connected to mainland Tamriel. I'm hoping one day they will bring out a new updated version of Morrowind because the game was immense. I think Bethesda lost something they had in Morrowind when they released Oblivion but it's certainly been recaptured in Skyrim.

800px-TamrielMap.jpg

demujin

Anyone notice, on that video, that the interface in Morrowind is windowed? The game was designed for the PC and ported to the XBOX. There were some things about the interface that were quite cumbersome. But you could have most of your information on the screen at one time.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts