Are there any features you like from Morrowind that were not in the successors?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any features? I myself think all Elder Scrolls games are a huge improvement from its predecessors and it will keep getting better and better.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Well, how about spears? With each new “The Elder Scrolls” title you hear some fans begging for them to be included again.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Never played morrowind so I can't give much here but it's cool to know that they did have spears and crossbows. I think the main reason why they didn't include spears is because they were basically swords with extra extra range so it was overpowered. Didn't play the game so I don't know if that's true but I guess it's a reasonable assumption of why they didn't include spears. But that doesn't excuse them from not trying to improve on spear mechanics.

Jeruhmi

Spears and crossbows? That's awesome. I would have liked to see those brought over to Skyrim.
I hate using a crossbow in black ops though.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Well, hopefully Skyrim will be nothing like Black Ops so you shouldn’t worry about that. I could easily see crossbows getting modded in though if they are not included.

Jeruhmi

I feel that a crossbow using iron bolts as opposed to using a bow with iron arrows should be stronger. It would be cool to use whilst hunting.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
And then one way of nerfing it in comparison to the bow would be increasing the reload time which would actually make sense since rewinding the string actually took quite long IRL.

Jeruhmi

I think the bow should be faster, but not as strong. And the crossbow be slower to use, but much stronger.
Sort of like RuneScape, if anyone knows where I'm coming from.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Well, I think crossbows should be stronger if your Archery skill is low.

The thing is, crossbow doesn't require any training to use it properly. You just need the strength to reload the bolt, aim and shoot. Pretty much a gun without gunpowder. So Archery skill shouldn't affect your effectiveness with crossbow at all.

In terms of balance, crossbow is pretty strong and fairly accurate but not as accurate as bows since arrows actually 'swim' through the air. Crossbow is usually pre-loaded so you could shoot it as soon as you take it out although that would make it less accurate. When it comes to reloading crossbow, it should take longer than a bow. Reloading it should be even longer if you are running or moving in general. Crossbow is also much heavier than bow. The damage should be a set number. Since it has no skill to make it more efficient, it should be for people who prefers melee and only takes it out just to shoot out a dragon off the sky.

As for bow, it should be able to shoot faster but you need to pull the arrow back longer to make it stronger than the crossbow. It should be more accurate and you can whack your opponent with your bow if he comes too close. (This has been confirmed!) Crossbow is too heavy for melee attack. As your archery skill grows, your bow should be even more efficient than crossbow, eventually. It's been confirmed that there's two types of bow: longbow and shortbow. I think their difference are fairly obvious.

I think this way, crossbow would find its place in the game WITHOUT completely replacing bow and arrow.

Jeruhmi

Well, I think crossbows should be stronger if your Archery skill is low.

The thing is, crossbow doesn't require any training to use it properly. You just need the strength to reload the bolt, aim and shoot. Pretty much a gun without gunpowder. So Archery skill shouldn't affect your effectiveness with crossbow at all.

In terms of balance, crossbow is pretty strong and fairly accurate but not as accurate as bows since arrows actually 'swim' through the air. Crossbow is usually pre-loaded so you could shoot it as soon as you take it out although that would make it less accurate. When it comes to reloading crossbow, it should take longer than a bow. Reloading it should be even longer if you are running or moving in general. Crossbow is also much heavier than bow. The damage should be a set number. Since it has no skill to make it more efficient, it should be for people who prefers melee and only takes it out just to shoot out a dragon off the sky.

As for bow, it should be able to shoot faster but you need to pull the arrow back longer to make it stronger than the crossbow. It should be more accurate and you can whack your opponent with your bow if he comes too close. (This has been confirmed!) Crossbow is too heavy for melee attack. As your archery skill grows, your bow should be even more efficient than crossbow, eventually. It's been confirmed that there's two types of bow: longbow and shortbow. I think their difference are fairly obvious.

I think this way, crossbow would find its place in the game WITHOUT completely replacing bow and arrow.
So it's been confirmed there is a crossbow in Skyrim, or are you just speculating?
I think that yes, the crossbow is likely to be heavier than a bow.

Jeruhmi

Damn, it's not? Once again, that is a perfect mod opportunity. I would definitely support a mod which incorporates crossbows into Skyrim.

Tusck

I agree with spears, but I would never give up my bow for a crossbow.

The one thing that I would like to see back in Skyrim that was missing in Oblivion was the general uniqueness of the world and setting, the creepiness of the NPC voices, and the overall steampunk feel of the environments. In Morrowind I really wanted to keep exploring. Not so much in Oblivion.

Mikk

Article Writer
Well, I understand that this is an unpopular opinion, but I LOVED how Morrowind had so much there to read. Playing Morrowind was like reading a really good book, where I could occasionally step back from the pages and look around the world of the story I was just engrossed within.

Oblivion still had an incredible amount of depth and story, but it was a lot less like reading a book, and a lot more like watching a movie. I guess I'm more of a reader :p

Jeruhmi

Well, I understand that this is an unpopular opinion, but I LOVED how Morrowind had so much there to read. Playing Morrowind was like reading a really good book, where I could occasionally step back from the pages and look around the world of the story I was just engrossed within.

Oblivion still had an incredible amount of depth and story, but it was a lot less like reading a book, and a lot more like watching a movie. I guess I'm more of a reader :p
Well you have sort of lost me there. Are you referring to the game's novel, or using the game as comparison to those elements? I haven't played Morrowind, and I don't think I will.

Tusck

I think he is talking about the massive amount of books and scrolls you find in the game that you can read. They contained a ton of lore. I totally agree with him. I'm assuming someone other than me spent a few days reading the books in the main library in Morrowind. That enormous amount of lore can really get you into the game.

Tusck

Yep, the lack of lore and the generic environment really pushed Oblivion away from the top of the list of my all time favorite RPGs. Hopefully Skyrim brings back that feeling. Actually, I think I saw a video that said the devs recognized that it was missing and wanted to have skyrim feel a bit more like Morrowind.

Jeruhmi

Yep, the lack of lore and the generic environment really pushed Oblivion away from the top of the list of my all time favorite RPGs. Hopefully Skyrim brings back that feeling. Actually, I think I saw a video that said the devs recognized that it was missing and wanted to have skyrim feel a bit more like Morrowind.
From what I've heard and seen Morrowind seemed like a really great game. If Skyrim brings content from Morrowind then it should work nicely.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts