1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Spoiler Anyone sympathize with Miraak?

Discussion in 'Dragonborn DLC' started by Parselmagic, May 11, 2014.

1. FullmetalHeart20

FullmetalHeart20 Well-Known Member

I suppose a combination of reason that it would naturally follow the dragonborn's lead and refusal to believe he would be trapped in a rotting and inert corps. The important thing is that Miraak technically escaped Apocrypha.

2. Kohlar the Unkilled

Kohlar the Unkilled Time for some ale

Hasn't there been a whole succession of Dragonborns throughout history? I don't recall reading or hearing that Miraak was the first, (it may be so, though my mind bends with the attempt to recall facts at will from the abyssal depths of lore), or that "we" will be the last. What of the "Ancient Dragonborn Warrior," called forth from Dragon Aspect? This gives the impression of a Dragonborn from a time before Miraak, or perhaps after, yet still ancient to us.

3. Ivory

Ivory Let's Player

Miraak is confirmed to be the first Dragonborn. It is also suspected that the Ancient Dragonborn is the second Dragonborn.

4. Wildroses

Wildroses Well-Known Member

I once talked to someone in Sovngarde who claimed to be Dragonborn. Her phrasing was something along the line of: "Hail, Dragonborn. That honour is also mine." I think she was one of the people fighting to the left when you walk inside.

5. Yngol

Yngol Thief who uses heavy armour

It would be cool if you could join his and other dragon priests side. I'm thinking new faction and maybe an anonymous priest follower. Anyone like this idea?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Parselmagic

Parselmagic Member

I would always side with the bad guys if it was an option. It would have been a good twist if the fabled dragonborn hero became a dragon priest and enslaved everyone.

7. Kohlar the Unkilled

Kohlar the Unkilled Time for some ale

I like this idea very much. My latest build is obsessed with Dragon Priests, (she is one), it'd be great if there was an option to side with them. Joining Miraak, you'd have to fight the Skaal and the Redoran, (but I like the Skaal and the Redoran..). A conjure Dragon Priest spell would be superb. :beermug:

8. thaioden the nord

Theres no new dragon born to absorbe the soul

9. LotusEater

LotusEater I brake for blue butterflies

No sympathy. He got sloppy and deluded. His problem and thanks for the awesome gear.

10. powellbr5591

powellbr5591 New Member

From what I read on the wiki page there was supposed to be more but it got cut because the guy couldn't get to the office to defend it because of an arrow to the knee.

11. powellbr5591

powellbr5591 New Member

Well they did say that the first shall be last and the last shall be first

12. powellbr5591

powellbr5591 New Member

Aye, alive or dead they still need to be exterminated for the good of all of Tamriel

13. Denvald The Deathless

Well, if Miraak's main goal didn't involve killing our main characters, I wouldn't mind having him around.

14. powellbr5591

powellbr5591 New Member

Eh, I kind of sympathize with Miraak because he only sought out Herma Mora to fulfill his destiny as Dovahkiim, to defeat Alduin, Bane of the Kings, however it was this knowledge that led to his downfall; however the Greybeards were and still are wrong about the use of knowledge, in that knowledge isn't dangerous in and of itself, it's what one does with the knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kahuld

kahuld New Member

Yes I sympathize I wanted to team up with him :/

Think about... the legendary dragonborn brothers at it again! Raping and pillaging everyone in sight. Crush the Thalmor, destroy the empire, shout Ulfric to pieces, marry lydia, bring the annoying fan back to life just to kill him again...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ecozombie

ecozombie Loki

I haven't played the Dragonborn DLC up to the fight with Miraak as of yet. I've mostly done side quests (trying to hit level 65 before I fight him as I read on UESP you get the best version of Miraak's gear at that level - she's still at 64, damn beast blood slowing her leveling! not to mention I've been stockpiling dragon souls and learning new spells like nobodies business; so basically I've been prepping) and so on my main character anyway, her only interaction with him thus far has been through his disciples that attacked her and hearing his voice in her head after trying to take a nap at the Retching Netch and waking up at the Earth Stone.
    I have however seen a few modded LPs and read all the lore so I think I personally can give an opinion of sorts on this, though obviously I can't yet speak for my characters. Hope that makes sense. Anyway..
    Considering the time he was alive - during the time the Dragon Cult was at its zenith - I do actually sympathize with him a little. Any Dragonborn would chafe under rulers like that. Hell, mortals did, I imagine it would only be worse for a Dragonborn. So I mean I understand that he would want out of under the dragons and their Cult, and that he felt that what he did was the only way to accomplish his goal. However I don't agree with how he did it. I don't agree with the mass murder of dragons as seen by his temple or making them into grotesque decorations as seen there. That seemed a bit superfluous even considering his circumstances. I also don't like that he refused to kill Alduin because he thought it was beneath him. I dislike that he left it to the Tongues and later, the Last Dragonborn. I think he should've gone about getting out of under the Dragon Cult like the other Nords did. Team up with Paarthurnax and the Tongues and take out the "god" himself, Alduin. But Miraak didn't do this. He chose to be selfish and make a cult identical to the last all his own.
    What I'm trying to say is, I have mixed feelings. On one hand I sympathize with his situation. On the other considering the way he chose to deal with said situation, makes me really not sympathize with him at all.
    I do sympathize with his want of getting out of Apocrypha. However he wouldn'tve even gotten stuck in Apocrypha if he had chosen to handle things differently than he did. So again, I feel kinda like he signed himself up for that in a way and that the citizens of Solstheim shouldn't have to pay for his mistakes, or wrong choices, so to speak.
    All in all, I think if I had had a chance to team up with him as he is now, I wouldn't do it. If there was some option to team up with him, help him get out of Apocrypha and help him see the error of his ways and try to change, I would pick that option in a heartbeat. So I guess my answer is: it depends. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Onyx Black

Onyx Black Lord of Onyx

Well, no.
    Miraak does send people to kill you and he's also kind of a dick when it comes to reasoning, he'd rather steal your power than think differently about the situation.

: miraak