Anyone else hyped for Dishonored?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neriad13

Premium Member
It's an upcoming game, published by Bethesda and made by Arkane. I thought the cinematic trailer was okay and looked kind of interesting.

But then the gameplay trailer just grabbed me by the heart.

Dang it, epic songs like that just get stuck in my head for months on end. I find the "feed him to the hungry rats for dinner" bit particularly inspiring. That was what got me into Skyrim in the first place - its music. If it wasn't for the awesomeness of the main theme, I'm not sure if I would have bought the game.

But it isn't only that - the setting and art style, meant to resemble a painting, look so sweet. This interview (which doesn't allow embedding) with a couple of the creators talks a bit about their initial concepts for the game. Every mission is meant to be an open world in and of itself and over time, unlike in a solid open world like Skyrim, you return to the same areas to discover that things have changed. That...sounds like a definite step up.

There's an emphasis on choice and experimentation too. The specific way you complete a mission changes what happens in the story, making for a more dynamic world.

I am getting hyped, really, for the first time since seeing the Skyrim trailer.

And yet, it seems like nobody's really heard about this game yet.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
I definitely am, Neriad. I've been reading about it ever since the mags started writing about it, and it sounds most intriguing. Not sure about the rat perk though. I mean, it'll be cool to control a pack of rats to attack somebody, but actually becoming one to escape or whatever? (sigh) All right. Just gotta pretend I'm a skeever then. :)

Plus, I like the premise of having to clear his name, by whatever means necessary.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I definitely am, Neriad. I've been reading about it ever since the mags started writing about it, and it sounds most intriguing. Not sure about the rat perk though. I mean, it'll be cool to control a pack of rats to attack somebody, but actually becoming one to escape or whatever? (sigh) All right. Just gotta pretend I'm a skeever then. :)

Plus, I like the premise of having to clear his name, by whatever means necessary.

I dunno. This demo does make being a rat sound pretty cool. :D

dunklunk

Dammit! I knew I shouldn't have looked at that demo you provided! The ultimate stealth warrior. Khajiit? Nope. Nord? Get serious. Dark Elf? Ha, they wish. No, my friends, behold the rat! Low to the ground, dark fur to blend into the shadows, pocket-sized to fit into the smallest, tighest spaces. And let's not forget that obviously awesome rat vision!

Thanks a lot, Neriad. No, really. Thanks a lot. :) We shall become the rat version of Sam Fisher. ;)

Neriad13

Premium Member
That's your tat? Very nice. :)

No, no, it's just a funny picture I found in the official Dishonored forums. Someone replied to that thread with the question "But what if the game's a flop?! :eek:

dunklunk

No, no, it's just a funny picture I found in the official Dishonored forums. Someone replied to that thread with the question "But what if the game's a flop?! :eek:

They already have a forum for a game that's not even out yet? That question about a flop? Guess you could ask that of almost any game prior to release. I think the question should be: What if it gets delayed? :sadface:

Dunno 'bout you, but I find it both interesting and surprising that no one else here is interested in that game. Reckon we're the only Dishonored hypesters. For now, anyway. :)

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
It looks interesting. But then again I've played lots of games that looked interesting and it turned out I didn't like them at all. I'll keep a eye out on it but I won't let my hopes get too high or low.

Troll agrees that it looks interesting. I should definitely find out more about it. Wish I could watch all these videos at work! Hehehe. :D

OmNomNombies

Let me show you my cats.
I'm pretty amped for Dishonored. It's been high up on my "most anticipated" list since they covered it in an issue of GI. The mechanics they've revealed so far have done nothing but make me more eager to play it than before. I'm especially interested in the neo-Victorian/steampunk sort of setting. I'm a sucker for steampunk.

"The oppressive atmosphere and paranoid politicking of BioShock, the graceful bloodletting of Assassin’s Creed, the murky morality of Deus Ex, the stealth and shadow of Thief." - Playstation Blog

That's all I need to know, thanks.​

smal.jpg

Yeah...there it is. Not much more to say about it. >.<

I'm the last guy you'll find hating on video game tats, but it's probably not a great idea to have it inked before the game is even released and you've yet to play it. I guess if... no, it's just a horrible idea.

Neriad13

Premium Member
We got us a walkthrough! :D Actually, two, showing two different ways to go about the same quest. And apparently Corvo carries around a disconnected, hyped-up, still-beating heart. :eek:

Neriad13

Premium Member
I also noticed that Corvo is surprisingly cute when he's cleaned up.

Corvo2.png

After seeing this view of him initially, I was like "Whoa, ugly! No wonder you're covering your face."

Corvoprison.jpg

But with this new shot...he looks a lot like a rugged adventurer.

But then again, in the end, in a first-person game, what does it really matter anyway? :D

warcrow

I've been a lurker for a while, but figured I'd finally participate here. Hope you don't mind me posting this!

I interviewed Rafael Colantonio, co-creative director on Dishonored about: Non-lethal gameplay, Analog AI, Viktor Antonov, if Dishonored has multiple endings and a leveling system, targeting limbs, Neo-Victorian Steampunk, possessing a fish and sliding under tables.

It seems to me designing the controls for a game like Dishonored would be incredibly difficult. On one hand you want to make the game accessible to those who are new to the genre and interested in the game. On the other hand you have the core audience who’ve been playing these types of games for a very long time, and you certainly don’t want them to feel like they’re making unnecessary concessions. How on Earth are you guys approaching this?

Oh that’s a very very smart and insightful question, and it lies at the heart of our challenge really. The game has a lot of depth and it’s very hardcore by nature, but at the same time we don’t want it to be inaccessible. So we’re constantly putting a lot of effort into making sure the mechanics [are playable] for anyone, without losing the depth this type of game needs. You know, depth and accessibility are not enemies. It is possible to make games that have depth and are accessible. What you don’t want is complexity. So there’s a lot of effort on our part to make the right tutorial and expose the right options to the player at all times.
So yes, to answer the question, it’s a very difficult challenge and we don’t believe we’re betraying the hardcore while bringing it to the masses.
Interview: Rafael Colantonio, Co-Creative Director on Dishonored - I.Eat.Games.

Hope you like it!

Neriad13

Premium Member
I've been a lurker for a while, but figured I'd finally participate here. Hope you don't mind me posting this!

I interviewed Rafael Colantonio, co-creative director on Dishonored about: Non-lethal gameplay, Analog AI, Viktor Antonov, if Dishonored has multiple endings and a leveling system, targeting limbs, Neo-Victorian Steampunk, possessing a fish and sliding under tables.

Interview: Rafael Colantonio, Co-Creative Director on Dishonored - I.Eat.Games.

Hope you like it!

Not at all! It's just the place for it. :) I've been using this thread as a hub myself for any Dishonored news or info that I manage to pick up.

As for the interview, I did like it very much and I'm progressively liking this game more by the second. From the sounds of repeated death, gameplay seems to be a lot more hardcore than a lot of other mainstream games these days, something of a gutsy and quite satisfying move.

Limb injury is always another bonus point in my book - any little thing like that which has the power to add realism to combat.

Anyway, great job and thanks for the post!

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
It looks great, I'm definitely going to buy this game...just not on or near it's launch. Mainly to see if there are any game crippling bugs or if Bethesda still hates PS3 users.

Limb injury sounds different and exciting though.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts