Anybody else disappointed with Skyrim DLC?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lewsean

Compared to other Bethesda games, Skyrim's "DLC" was a huge, huge let down for me. Doesn't even begin to come close to Oblivion/Fallout3/FalloutNV. They totally failed to wrap the game up in a neat little bow like past games, missed some great oppurtunities to expand on the Skyrim story.. Instead we get some random Vampire plops and Miraak.

The_Elder_Scrolls_IV-Shivering_Isles-gate.jpg

We need more DLC of that quality ^

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Agree with you. I think it Beth just did it to be "on-trend", particularly with Dawnguard and I never understood the point of Dragonborn, although, I did kind of like Solstheim. They were probably working on TESO already and figures Skyrim was pointless.

I understand that there may a new ES game coming out since TESO has been such a failure (really? A failure? How much money do you need to make!).

JoeReese

Agree with you. I think it Beth just did it to be "on-trend", particularly with Dawnguard and I never understood the point of Dragonborn, although, I did kind of like Solstheim. They were probably working on TESO already and figures Skyrim was pointless.

I understand that there may a new ES game coming out since TESO has been such a failure (really? A failure? How much money do you need to make!).
All of it, of course.

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
How was Miraak not an expansion on the main story? Plus his part wasnt NECESSARY for the main story, which I always like in a DLC.
Ill admit, never played another Bethesda game with DLC, but Skyrim's Add on's are definately the best thing iv'e ever bought with virtual cash (I'm looking at you, Halo 4 Castle map pack:mad:) because I actually got to use it!
Then again, to each his own. What was it that say... the Shivering Isles did well that Dragonborn didnt?

JoeReese

I liked Dawnguard and Dragonborn well enough. I think I was most disappointed with Hearthfire. Hype, hype, hype about a custom house, and then find out it's not custom at all, and very limited.

Lewsean

How was Miraak not an expansion on the main story? Plus his part wasnt NECESSARY for the main story, which I always like in a DLC.
Ill admit, never played another Bethesda game with DLC, but Skyrim's Add on's are definately the best thing iv'e ever bought with virtual cash (I'm looking at you, Halo 4 Castle map pack:mad:) because I actually got to use it!
Then again, to each his own. What was it that say... the Shivering Isles did well that Dragonborn didnt?
How was it necessary? And I'm not just saying this but Shivering Isles felt like a game built from the ground up, the story was great, dialogue was great, quests were great, the atmosphere/enviroment was AMAZING. It's probably because Oblivion as a whole was a much better 'rpg' game than Skyrim, more focused on adventuring, unique quests, those sort of things, everything just felt more alive. Dragonborn DLC was just 'meh', like "Here's a new DLC, where you'll spend most of your time running through weird tunnels, reading books, fighting the same bosses you've been fighting in Skyrim(Priests), Miraak's dialogue seems to have been cut by more than 50%. Also the final "reward" is bad.. His staff is 'meh', his sword is weak(Stamina drain on a spellsword lol?, and the tenticles don't even do anything, such as added range etc)

Sheogorath just can't be bested :p

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Personally I just never saw Miraak as related to the whole main story. The main story was that you had to save the world from Alduin. I still am somewhat confused as to why Miraak was even brought in to it. I suppose since you had a vague contact with Herma Mora in that quest it could make sense, but, personally, I just found Apocrypha annoying even if you did get some cool abilities in there.

Lewsean

Personally I just never saw Miraak as related to the whole main story. The main story was that you had to save the world from Alduin. I still am somewhat confused as to why Miraak was even brought in to it. I suppose since you had a vague contact with Herma Mora in that quest it could make sense, but, personally, I just found Apocrypha annoying even if you did get some cool abilities in there.
I don't want to sound like a hipster, but I think it's cause he was 'cool' and 'epic'.. Which is the the kind of vibe I get from Skyrim. Oblivion and the DLC's just felt more 'magical' if you get my meanining, more RPG-like. Skyrim's content is built around the concept of being like a half action game, and half adventure game, from the get go I feel pidgeon holed into a sort of character arch-type, whereas in Oblivion it felt like the PC could be anything from mage to thief to assassin to vampire to warrior etc etc lol. Whilst I'm playing through Skyrim's main quest as a Vampire/Dark Elf etc, I can't help but stop and think to my self "this just doesn't feel right", and it breaks all immersion :sadface:
I went a tad off topic in the last part of my paragraph XD

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
There was plenty of new enemies to fight (both brand new & morrowind-era)! They kept the game fresh for me when the foes from the vanilla game grew old. Plus, while I agree to a degree that Miraak wasnt the best Antagonist, Neither was Jyjalag (is that how you spell it?), & he was a Daedric Prince.
I think part of the point of Dragonborn wasnt just fighting an evil twin, it was about how beings even as great as Dragonborns could become corrupted by greed & desire. The main storyline forced you into a "good guy saves the world" story, & I certainly enjoyed exploring the darker side of Dovahkiin history.
Plus the main story wasnt the only thing! There was the political strife that revolved around Raven Rock, the mad experiments of Neloth the Telvanni Wizard, a drunkard v riekling battle & so much more. Please dont forget about the unique, priceless artifacts that came with all that!
Also in regards to Oblivion being better for Rp, there wasnt many choices to be made in Shivering isles, other than which Duke[ss] to assasinate. You were forced to side with Madness when I am sure many would rather Roleplay on the side of Order, you were forced to become the new Madgod at the end (which overall turned out to be litlle more than a title, instead of giving you cool powers), for a Daedric realm (& look who made it) the Islands looked very Nirn-ish, & what amazing items did you get from it?
A freaking BATTLE-FORK.

Loren

Dragon Priestess
I rather enjoy them. Dawnguard gave us one of the most fleshed-out NPC's in the game, and a pretty sweet variant on the beast form. It also did a pretty good job of "fixing" many of the aspects of vampirism, making it more feasable and desirable.

Hearthfire doesn't bring much to the table in the way of quests, but the smaller pricetag made it worth the expendature for me. I love Winstad Manor. And I love my children. It adds a nice dimension to my character, having a family and a distinct residence.

Dragonborn has a lot of great nostalgia value. And while Miraak's weapons and mask aren't that great (well. . .I do actually like the sword. I have it smithed up to a decent level, and the tentacles make for a nice visual touch), his robes are actually pretty nice. The tentacle explosion enchantment does a decent bit of damage, and the spell/dragon breath absorption is decent. Dragonborn also adds a few really nice spells, dragon shouts, and locations (Apocrypha is GORGEOUS, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise ;) ).

Besides, if you want to talk about terrible DLC, look no further than Oblivion's five dollar horse armor. It was absolute crap.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I actually really like them. I played Skyrim just on it's own for ages before I bought the DLC's and being on Xbox I thought the added content was great. I love the houses, Solstheim and the Forgotten Vale is just stunning.

Lewsean

I rather enjoy them. Dawnguard gave us one of the most fleshed-out NPC's in the game, and a pretty sweet variant on the beast form. It also did a pretty good job of "fixing" many of the aspects of vampirism, making it more feasable and desirable.

Hearthfire doesn't bring much to the table in the way of quests, but the smaller pricetag made it worth the expendature for me. I love Winstad Manor. And I love my children. It adds a nice dimension to my character, having a family and a distinct residence.

Dragonborn has a lot of great nostalgia value. And while Miraak's weapons and mask aren't that great (well. . .I do actually like the sword. I have it smithed up to a decent level, and the tentacles make for a nice visual touch), his robes are actually pretty nice. The tentacle explosion enchantment does a decent bit of damage, and the spell/dragon breath absorption is decent. Dragonborn also adds a few really nice spells, dragon shouts, and locations (Apocrypha is GORGEOUS, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise ;) ).

Besides, if you want to talk about terrible DLC, look no further than Oblivion's five dollar horse armor. It was absolute crap.
Lmao, the horse armor :vomit: Let's just forget that ever happened right ;)?

Silmaran

I wasn't any more disappointed with the Dawnguard and Dragonborn than I was with the original game. They weren't any lower in quality. Hearthfire was really for consoles, so I'm not going to count that. I thought the Dawnguard locations were more interesting than the Dragonborn locations, although Dragonborn introduced a whole new island. I don't like Rieklings though. They seem like they belong in a game for children.

Lewsean

I wasn't any more disappointed with the Dawnguard and Dragonborn than I was with the original game. They weren't any lower in quality. Hearthfire was really for consoles, so I'm not going to count that. I thought the Dawnguard locations were more interesting than the Dragonborn locations, although Dragonborn introduced a whole new island. I don't like Rieklings though. They seem like they belong in a game for children.
Yes I agree, Forgotten Vale was truely amazing to wander around. Too bad it's for Dawnguard quest only and has no other real uses.

Rhew

The missing snow elf
i really liked the DLCs. Dawnguard is my favorite. I felt really connected to Serana and the Forgotten Vale and Auriel's temple are beautiful. And since Snow Elves are my favorite, of course meeting two of them was awesome! I also really like the sunhallowed arrows. Too bad there aren't more chances to use them.

With Dragonborn I really enjoyed exploring Solsthiem. I really hate the black books but the abilities you get from them are worth it. I also like learning about the Telvanni. Neloth is hilariously over the top.

Rhew

The missing snow elf
i really liked the DLCs. Dawnguard is my favorite. I felt really connected to Serana and the Forgotten Vale and Auriel's temple are beautiful. And since Snow Elves are my favorite, of course meeting two of them was awesome! I also really like the sunhallowed arrows. Too bad there aren't more chances to use them.

With Dragonborn I really enjoyed exploring Solsthiem. I really hate the black books but the abilities you get from them are worth it. I also like learning about the Telvanni. Neloth is hilariously over the top.

One extra thing about Dawnguard I forgot to mention. Not sure how this slipped my head but the Frozen Falmer are the first enemies to ever make me scream and jump IRL. The first time I encountered them I had a feeling they would do exactly what they did but it still scared the bajesus out of me. And even though I know exactly when and how they're going to attack it doesn't matter. It still makes me scream and jump. That's one of the reasons I love that DLC :p

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I thought each was pretty good. I can see the criticism when comparing to previous games, but then again, it's not always fair expecting the exact thing you had then with the mechanics now.

As mentioned above, I would have loved to see the Redgurd-based DLC. I always got the feeling there were other DLCs planned early on that got scrapped for whatever reasons.

Were I not on PC and thus not had access to mods, I likely would have been somewhat more disappointed.

Can't complain about it too much though as it got over 2000 hrs of gameplay to date

Fraekith

Wood Elf Archer
I personally liked Dawnguard, it's all I've gotten to so far. Serana was a pretty cool NPC that I really enjoyed progressing through the storyline with. I still use her as a follower. I do agree, the Hearthfire dlc is a bit lacking. I really dislike how it makes you choose one from three wings rather than let you choose each wing regardless of North, East, and West... I really wanted to have certain wings but was limited to one from each group. I didn't expect Hearthfire to be Sims like at all though, so all and all it was pretty cool.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts