Any way to hack Hearthfire onto the PC?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

flarn2006

First of all, I would be surprised if the Xbox 360 and PC versions of Skyrim didn't use the same plugin/master file format. Also, the Xbox 360 obviously has access to the plugin data. That being said, if they do in fact use the same file formats, wouldn't that mean the PC version of Hearthfire was already released? Just to people who also own the Xbox version and have some means of getting the file onto the PC.

Now I'm not really sure how the DLC files are stored, or if they're encrypted or anything (they probably are) but I'm pretty sure it would be possible to get the decrypted version from a modified console. And I would imagine putting this decrypted copy onto a PC would then be legal—provided, of course, you already have a legal copy of the Xbox version.

Anyone else think this could be possible? Note that I don't have a hacked Xbox, so I couldn't do this, but I'm sure somebody can. I'm not sure if it would be worth it with the PC version coming out soon, but if it is simple enough, I'm sure it would work as a temporary solution.

Your thoughts?

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
All that work to save five measly bucks or to play it a little early?! Just wait for it, pay for it and sleep easy.

flarn2006

I'm not talking about piracy, or even saving money through means that may not be considered piracy. I mean getting it on the PC early. Bethesda's agreement with Microsoft says all Skyrim DLC has to be released for the Xbox first, but I doubt they would have a problem with people getting around that (not that it would stop anyone if they did.)

EDIT: I just saw you mention getting it early. Still, if even one person thinks it's worth it and posts it online, then everyone can benefit. It wouldn't even necessarily be considered piracy to download the "leaked" copy, provided of course you own a legal copy of the Xbox version.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Yes there is a way to copy files from a Xbox 360 Game to a PC Hard Drive, convert them, add what you want & then reinstall it into your game on the Xbox 360.
It a a PITA ( Pain In The Arse ) Operation & I'm not going to go into massive detail on how to do it. It's a whole lot quicker & easier to just pay the $5.

MushroomGenius

I'm not talking about piracy, or even saving money through means that may not be considered piracy. I mean getting it on the PC early. Bethesda's agreement with Microsoft says all Skyrim DLC has to be released for the Xbox first, but I doubt they would have a problem with people getting around that (not that it would stop anyone if they did.)

But if you're getting it early, and NOT paying for it.... it's still piracy. If it were leaked online for free, how many of those players that downloaded it would pay for Hearthfire once it was "official"? A small percentage I'm sure.

EDIT: I just saw you mention getting it early. Still, if even one person thinks it's worth it and posts it online, then everyone can benefit. It wouldn't even necessarily be considered piracy to download the "leaked" copy, provided of course you own a legal copy of the Xbox version.

Not sure how many people out there actually LEGITIMATELY own both the 360 and PC versions (I am one of them btw, and bought Dawnguard for both, have yet to buy Hearthfire as I will just wait for the PC version). Again, if you didn't pay for the software for your system, it's piracy. You bought the 360 version of Hearthfire, not the PC version. That's like saying if I already own the 360 version, I'm more than welcome to DL an illegal torrent of Skyrim itself.

flarn2006

Yes there is a way to copy files from a Xbox 360 Game to a PC Hard Drive, convert them, add what you want & then reinstall it into your game on the Xbox 360.
It a a PITA ( Pain In The Arse ) Operation & I'm not going to go into massive detail on how to do it. It's a whole lot quicker & easier to just pay the $5.

Has anyone done this with Hearthfire yet though? (Or even Dawnguard back when it was 360-only?)
Also, I assume it would be legal to use as long as you do pay for the PC version when it's released, right?

MushroomGenius

Also, I assume it would be legal to use as long as you do pay for the PC version when it's released, right?

You would be assuming incorrectly.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Has anyone done this with Hearthfire yet though? (Or even Dawnguard back when it was 360-only?)

Are you talking about Modding a game or Copying a game & converting into another format ?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Then you are talking about copying it & converting it into another format. Well that is called Piracy & you would be breaking the Law. The Xbox 360 Format is totally different to the PC Format.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
It is still Piracy.

flarn2006

It is still Piracy.
How? You're not getting anything without paying for it; just a little early. And I doubt even Bethesda has a problem with it; as I mentioned before, it would be out on the PC already if they didn't have that deal with Microsoft. If someone else manages to put it on the PC, that's Microsoft's problem, not theirs, right?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
How? You're not getting anything without paying for it; just a little early. And I doubt even Bethesda has a problem with it; as I mentioned before, it would be out on the PC already if they didn't have that deal with Microsoft. If someone else manages to put it on the PC, that's Microsoft's problem, not theirs, right?

Take it up with Bethesda & Microsoft, they will tell you the same thing " It's a Breach of Copyright " & " An Act of Piracy ".

flarn2006

Well yeah, obviously Microsoft wouldn't like it, as it (at least somewhat) defeats the purpose of their side of the agreement made with Bethesda. However, it's not keeping Bethesda from getting any of the money Microsoft gives them for the exclusivity agreement, so why should Bethesda care? If anything they would like it as people would be able to play the game on the PC early like (I imagine) they would prefer to do, and they would still get the money from Microsoft. Everybody wins! (except Microsoft.) And they wouldn't be violating their agreement either, as they're not the ones who ported it to the PC. Like I said, it's Microsoft's problem, not Bethesda's. :D

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Here is a bit of Food for Thought ........
Skyrim is a Steamworks title, and uses Steam for its DLC and Copy Protection. You have to install and run it through Steam.

flarn2006

Not with the DLC; if you put the .esp/.esm files in the right folder, it'll treat it just like any mod, right? (I may be mistaken.)

MushroomGenius

So if you download this "converted" copy of Hearthfire early, then the cops show up at your house... you'll tell them what? "But I plan to pay for it when it's available for PC! HONEST!!" :rolleyes:

flarn2006

Yeah, like they'd actually:
  1. Figure out you're using Hearthfire on your PC
  2. Figure out where you live (a subpoena would probably be necessary, which I imagine is both expensive and time consuming)
  3. Actually send cops, who could be doing much more important things, over something insignificant like that
And all before you're able to pay for the PC version when it's released?

Besides, in order to get any proof I imagine they'd need a search warrant, which I doubt anyone would get over a simple thing like this, and makes the process take even longer. Besides, if they did this for everyone who's ever pirated a video game, we wouldn't have any officers left to catch the real criminals.

Unless you're being sarcastic, that is.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
It's all irrelevant anyway, the Xbox 360 Game File Format is totally different to the PC Game Format. If you don't believe me then go download a Decryption Program, Decrypt the Xbox 360 game, open the game files & convert them to run on a PC Format. Edit the files & try to get them to work on a PC.

Have you ever seen the file format of a game ?

It is very complex, just one space or syntax or letter in the wrong place & all you get is constant CTD's ( Crash To Desktop ) if it even works.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts