Any suggestions for a new PC player? (not new Skyrim player)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

tonj

Master of Distraction
I've logged more hours than I care to admit on the xbox console version of Skyrim, but after seeing some of the amazing screen shots and looking a little bit into mods I decided to purchase the game for my PC as well. So I'm asking you folks:

Do you have any suggestions that may enhance my gaming experience that are unique to the PC platform only, any tips on what to avoid?

I used a few add ons when I played WoW, but that is the extent of my 3rd party production experience. Are they similar/alike?

What display settings should I choose to optimize game play if my computer isn't stellar, but exceeds the minimum requirements?

Finally, this might be a stupid question, but is it possible to transfer my xbox character/saves to my computer and continue my adventure via my PC instead? (I'm pretty attached to Swarles, my Dark Elf after the 538 hours we've spent together) Thanks!

Nighthiker77

You can get just about anything you want on the nexus. I like to play offline and I like the nexus mods and manager a lot more than the way they work on steam.

I think almost everybody would like the additional player home mods, armor mods, and a follower mod like XFL extended follower framework.

You can get mods to make the "vanilla" armor look a lot better or add all new kinds of armor/clothing/weapons

You can also look through the best mods of the month for each month, and top rated mods to get an idea what is out there.

I also think the camping kit mod is awesome. You buy it and can set up a little camp anywhere you want.

I found one on Steam that switches the Fortify School effects for Enchanting, and Alchemy so now the former Enhances Power, and the latter lower Casting Cost. balances magic in 1 swell foop.

Mai'ki

High King of Elsweyr
Hey, If you like hidden areas I suggest downloading the Secret Breezehome Room. Since Breezehome is cheap and it's the first house you are able to buy, it is pretty easy getting started with that mod.
Hope this helps! :)

tonj

Master of Distraction
Thanks for the suggestions :D I appreciate it. I'm addicted to the follower tagging mod, it lets me summon them from where ever I happened to lose them last lol

Smarty

There are many many many good mods out there. Take at look at the top files on the nexus. I recommend getting the nexus mod manager, makes modding really easy. It comes with an automatic downloader, mod categories, plugin list, archive invalidation and much more. You should also take a look at BOSS it takes care of the load order of your mods for you (very important to avoid conflicts). You will also probably want a leveled list merger (allows you to have many mods which changes the leveled list (list of loot) together), I recommend ASIS, see below.

Some of my personal favorite mods:

Kagrenacs Instant Fortress : A fortress you can deploy anywhere you want in skyrim, a ring that teleports you (and your followers) directly to the fortress and back to the point you were when you used it, plus the ability to send followers you dismiss to the fortress. Spouses can move there (they WILL sleep in your bed). Tons of storage, display racks, mannequins, everything you could possibly need.

Convenient Horses : Horse combat, horse armor, horse following, horses for followers, horse inventory, ability to pick ingredients from horse back, horse stat and behavioral tweaking etc...

Dual Wield Parrying : Allows you to parry while dual wielding or with weapon + spell and even in fistfights.

Ultimate Follower Overhaul : Follower limit increased to 15, change full inventory, make follower able to use spell books, show stats, toggle essential or not, group commands, no level caps etc...

Mighty Magic : Modular. Spell scales to skill in appropriate school. Decrease spell cost replaced with increased magnitude, for enchanting and potions. Adds new spells, balances the spells found in the game. Balances the mechanics, stagger for example, and much more.

Midas Magic : Adds tons of cool and balanced new spells.

ASIS : Adds potion and healing for npcs, increased spawns, leveled list merging, smarter enemies, npcs have perks, spawn randomization and a lot more.

Climates of Tamriel : Overhauls the weather/climate system, adds tons of new weather, region appropriate weather, atmospheric conditions, thunder, realistic lighting etc...

Skyui : Reworks the interface to make it a lot more pc friendly with many new features, such as sortable columns, colored icons, configurable text size, full text search, efficient keyboard navigation etc.

Categorized Favorite Menu : Adds categories to the favorite menu and it now takes the whole screen.

STEP : Tons of graphic improvements.

SKSE : Some of the mods above work better with it (see the individual description of each mod), although it is Optional.

ENB : Graphic *system*, makes skyrim look a lot better, for lack of better words. If you use it with SKSE above, you need to use the dll, unless it changed.

Of course all those mods are compatible with each other.

There's also tons of graphic improvements (many that don't decrease peformance) which I won't mention here.
You can also take a look at the quest and adventures category on the nexus, there's tons of mods that adds many dozens of hours of gameplay to skyrim.

If you want I could post my whole mod list.
If you need any help, I will be following this thread.

EDIT: typos

Leedsy

I too am in your boat, about toget a gaming pc for the first time after 100's of hours on morrowind, oblivion & skyrim on the xbox...super excited!

Been searching internet for recommended mods in advance and many are listed above. Not mentioned but I have read a lot about is Frostfall, which looks epic, where exposure to harsh weather whilst inappropriately dressed affects your health. I can't wait!

There are two others that caught my eye, I cannot remember the names of or find the link atm on my phone (will look on laptop later).

One enables you to open a market stall and leave your follower to sell your loot to npc's rather than you have to sell them to shops.

The other allows you to build a settlement around a well with shops, farms, houses, guard towers etc anywhere in skyrim. I'll repost when I have the names

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts