Annoying computer program that won't go away... HELP!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bira96

So I was trying to download this game today, (Stupid Facade) and while I searched though the downloads, I picked one site that downloaded this stupid program called "Sweettimes", and it is constantly changing the default homepage for my google chrome, disabling the sound, and causing google searches to never ever load, at random. I have tried everything to get rid of it; uninstalling and restarting the computer, restoring the computer to a point before I downloaded the software, but no matter what I do, it keeps coming back. Please help me get rid of this pest once and for all, before it really does crash my computer. I worked hard to save enough money to buy it, and I was stupid enough to download from some old internet page. Please don't let this mistake be permanent.

Download the free program called 'CCleaner' and use that to delete the thing.

Bira96

Downloading was what got me into this mess, but I'll try. It might be the only thing that will get rid of it for good.

Bira96

Okay, I used CCleaner, but it's still there! Every time I open Google chrome, it's selected as the default browser. Is there something I am not doing right?

Bira96

Those are both good ideas. I'll try them soon. Sweettimes (apparently spelled, sweetim's) is a toolbar, a "helpful default search engine", and it apparently implements emoticons for chats. But trust me, YOU DON'T WANT THIS PROGRAM.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
So I was trying to download this game today, (Stupid Facade) and while I searched though the downloads, I picked one site that downloaded this stupid program called "Sweettimes", and it is constantly changing the default homepage for my google chrome, disabling the sound, and causing google searches to never ever load, at random. I have tried everything to get rid of it; uninstalling and restarting the computer, restoring the computer to a point before I downloaded the software, but no matter what I do, it keeps coming back. Please help me get rid of this pest once and for all, before it really does crash my computer. I worked hard to save enough money to buy it, and I was stupid enough to download from some old internet page. Please don't let this mistake be permanent.

Go into control panel / Uninstall programs and find anything that has "searchbar" "search panel" etc. And uninstall them.

Next run these

Free Online Virus Scan - Bitdefender Online Virus Scanner

http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/default/kavwebscan.html

FREE ANTIVIRUS online: ActiveScan 2.0 - PANDA SECURITY

Then I recommend installing and running this Spybot - Search & Destroy from Safer Networking

Then download and install this Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Free Download — mozilla.org

And don't ever touch Chrome again. There's a reason why I say this. ;)

Bira96

Okay, I've set internet explorer as the default browser, uninstalled and re installed chrome, used the scans Anthrax suggested, downloaded and removed with Spybot, but it still won't go away! And Gehenna, downloading from CNET is what actually got me all of these stupid programs. Luckily, I managed to get rid of those, but it's this horrible sweettim's that won't go away.
Anthrax Why do you say that I should abandon chrome? Both internet explorer and mozilla firefox have crashed and whined and refused to run when I had no problems with google chrome, so I really don't want to give it up without a good reason.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
And Gehenna, downloading from CNET is what actually got me all of these stupid programs.
I must not be having an issue because I'm blocking ads or possibly because while I have MalwareBytes installed on my system, I actually haven't downloaded from CNet in quite some time. Does File Hippo give the same problem? Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1 - FileHippo.com Don't know why their own site automatically defaults to CNet without giving the option of other mirrors.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Okay, I've set internet explorer as the default browser, uninstalled and re installed chrome, used the scans Anthrax suggested, downloaded and removed with Spybot, but it still won't go away! And Gehenna, downloading from CNET is what actually got me all of these stupid programs. Luckily, I managed to get rid of those, but it's this horrible sweettim's that won't go away.
Anthrax Why do you say that I should abandon chrome? Both internet explorer and mozilla firefox have crashed and whined and refused to run when I had no problems with google chrome, so I really don't want to give it up without a good reason.

There's a long list why you shouldn't use Chrome. I am not telling you not to use it, I just offered my opinion. Based on what I know, it is a easy & potential threat running on your box.

Malwarebytes is good, but S&D has more virus signatures, so it finds more than what Malwarebytes can.

But it's not bad.

If you still would like to use it, Now downloading: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1 - TechSpot

That site is not a problem.

Anthrax; Chrome is actually the best browser out there. It's fast, and according to this PC magazine i read, just as secure as firefox. Its interface is better, and really, google is way up in firefox as well.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Anthrax; Chrome is actually the best browser out there. It's fast, and according to this PC magazine i read, just as secure as firefox. Its interface is better, and really, google is way up in firefox as well.

That's what general consensus believes. And I have no time in debunking myths for the public. And I bet that magezine is up Google's arse to have to print such a fallacy.

I still stand by what I said. It's rubbish.

S&D (Spybot?).. actually I use that too. I use AVG paid version, S&D, CCleaner and Malwarebytes. So far using them all every so often has worked well for me. Just my 2¢.

I have used them both as well. But not anymore. I don't need them. ;)

pcm_161_be_cover290x405.jpg
It's pretty professional. And it has lots of critique on google as well, along with Facebook and such. Not really 'stuck up Google's arse'.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts