• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hey everyone.

So, once again, as every once in a while, I am back to play Skyrim and I need some advice on a new character.

This time I had a new build in mind: An obsessed collector.

A Breton (at least that's how I see him), with an obsession with ancient weapons, books etc.
He learns some utility tricks from all the books and scrolls he reads.
He is not a bad person, but if someone has something he wants, he will do anything to get it.

He uses magical weapons, shields, staves and scrolls. He does not focus on one armor type (he collects many magical gear pieces).

Relies heavily on scrolls and staves.

Here are the perks I am sure that he has to have:

Alteration - little magickal tricks. He will use them to get items from afar and defend himself.

Speech - the left side. He can convince anyone to buy his goods.

Pickpocket - extra pockets. Stealing is not beneath him when there's something he wants.

One handed & blocking - close combat

I have 3 questions for you:

1) Should I add sneaking into the build (by that I mean ONLY the sneaking part, no backstabbing)? This character is obsessed with the search for ancient items. It makes sense for him to move carefully and quietly. I'm just worried this may ruin the play style (rushing into battle with a staff)

2) How do I handle mixing armor pieces? I thought I should maybe get the perks that allow me to move faster with an armor from both the heavy and the light armor tries. Would that be wasting points? it would probably mean that I will not have 5/5 in and armor rating bonus..

3) Do you have any other suggestions for this character?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I played a Khajiit obsessed with fish once. He had to acquire every piece of fish he laid eyes on, even if it meant pickpocketing a Jarl (and yes, that actually happened. Don't ask me why Balgruuf kept salmon steak in his pocket). Collecting is a lot of fun when you go really overboard with it.

I'd say definitely throw sneak into the build, if only for when he has to steal the precioussssssssss. You don't have to actually use it in battle at all, if that doesn't fit in with your battle style.

Mixing armor pieces isn't as difficult as it may seem. I was always afraid to do it, but once I finally did, I honestly didn't notice that much of a difference. If you are finding you're too weak against enemies, just kick the difficulty level down a notch. I wouldn't waste perks on anything in either tree except Juggernaut and Agile Defender, to help your armor rating. If you're really worried about your speed, take the Steed Stone bonus.

sticky runes

I think the illusion school might be good for this character. You do get magic staffs which contain illusion spells such as fury and calm and fear, so they might be helpful for driving out enemies when you just want to steal their stuff and move on. You could also use the "muffle" and "invisibility" spells to enhance your stealthy skills. Plus if you're undetected, that will make your fury spells more useful for making enemies attack each other instead of you.

Thank you for your answers.

I think I'll keep sneak, but I don't think illusion is right for me. I want to be able to get into fights, and win by using all the awesome weapons I've found.
I don't want this character to be a mage, he only utilizes some tricks that he has learned from reading and researching. He relies on scrolls and staves to fight.

There's one thing no one mentioned in the response - how to add perks if I decide to mix armor types?

Would it be ok for me to add both Juggernaut and Agile defender (5/5)?​

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
This isn't a build... it's a disease. ;)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
This isn't a build... it's a disease. ;)
Hehe thanks :) (I sure hope you meant it in a good way)

I don't know whether it's good or bad but I suffer (prosper?) from it as well. Why else would I obsess to collect every book, every build and never read a single one. That night where all I do is chill and read books just never seems to materialize.

One of my funnest builds was The Artifact Collector. Basically went around and collected every unique item. I took everything by force. No sneaky sneak, just basically pillaged Skyrim for all of it's artifacts (historic and daedric, books included) and kept it all locked in my basement. My plan was to suppress knowledge so as to rewrite Skyrim history and enslave it's masses. Unfortunately, the software didn't allow me to fully implement my plan so I restarted...

sticky runes

There's one thing no one mentioned in the response - how to add perks if I decide to mix armor types?

Imaginepageant did mention this: Mixing armor pieces isn't as difficult as it may seem. I was always afraid to do it, but once I finally did, I honestly didn't notice that much of a difference. If you are finding you're too weak against enemies, just kick the difficulty level down a notch. I wouldn't waste perks on anything in either tree except Juggernaut and Agile Defender, to help your armor rating. If you're really worried about your speed, take the Steed Stone bonus.

Imaginepageant did mention this: Mixing armor pieces isn't as difficult as it may seem. I was always afraid to do it, but once I finally did, I honestly didn't notice that much of a difference. If you are finding you're too weak against enemies, just kick the difficulty level down a notch. I wouldn't waste perks on anything in either tree except Juggernaut and Agile Defender, to help your armor rating. If you're really worried about your speed, take the Steed Stone bonus.

Yeah, you're right, for some reason I had in mind that I was the only one to mention this.. my bad, thank you.

But how slow will I be? and will I be able to sneak around?

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Whenever I am in need of inspiration, I go there as well. Great builds on that site. I usually don't play the build that inspires me, but I base my character off that build. Usually, they have something in the build I don't care for, like Alchemy, that I substitute another skill for in my build. :D

Check out this Lore-Keeper build:

http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/character-building/forum/topics/character-build-the-lore-keeper

It sounds similar to what you describe. I'm not affiliated with that site in any way; I just have found that they have some very unusual and creative builds that are very fun to play.

Uhohhotdog

My collector doesnt use weapons. Just magic, and alchemy. He not only collects rare artifacts and armors but also titles like archmage, anything shiny (gems and the like) and doesnt sell anything. So basically i just use magic and put all the weapons i collect on my wall.

Uhohhotdog

My collector doesnt use weapons. Just magic, and alchemy. He not only collects rare artifacts and armors but also titles like archmage, anything shiny (gems and the like) and doesnt sell anything. So basically i just use magic and put all the weapons i collect on my wall.

Oh. And collects books and orphansXD

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member

Oh. And collects books and orphansXD
Orphans? You mean snacks?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts