Altmer Telvanni Wizard, is it lore friendly?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Is an Altmer Telvanni Wizard lore friendly?

• Total voters

Harc

Big Hog
Of course, while playing an Elder Scrolls game, you yourself establish what is "right" or "wrong", but for the more lore friendly immersive players such as myself, is it believable, and or acceptable for a High Elf to be a member of House Telvanni? Are there any known Altmer Telvanni members? I'm assuming the Dunmer and Altmer aren't really all that friendly with each other given the circumstances of their religious practices (Divines vs. Tribunal) but would those circumstances alone just totally cock block an Altmer from being a Telvanni Wizard? This thread is more opinion based, though of course any factual sources (if any) would provide me a better understanding to the answer of my question, should anyone reference or cite said evidence, thanks!

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
He should. He still visits frequently enough to see the alert while it's still relevant.

Rimfaxe96

Telvanni - at least judging from TESO content - do allow other races to join their ranks as long as they make themselves useful and are willing to be cutthroats to rise in rank.

An Altmer's magic prowess could be a +, but trouble is that Dunmer are said to reserve a particular hatred against Bosmer and Altmer, so I'm more inclined to say "no, it's not lore-friendly" even though it's not 100% impossible. And there aren't any Altmer Telvanni known in lore. Personally I'd say Direnni clan would be a better choice (or Psijic Order).

Harc

Big Hog
Telvanni - at least judging from TESO content - do allow other races to join their ranks as long as they make themselves useful and are willing to be cutthroats to rise in rank.

An Altmer's magic prowess could be a +, but trouble is that Dunmer are said to reserve a particular hatred against Bosmer and Altmer, so I'm more inclined to say "no, it's not lore-friendly" even though it's not 100% impossible. And there aren't any Altmer Telvanni known in lore. Personally I'd say Direnni clan would be a better choice (or Psijic Order).
Valuable input, for the factions you suggested, are you referring to TESO or TES V: Skyrim? I was referring to Skyrim in my OP, though I'll keep your suggestions in mind should I get TESO (if the Psijiic Order and Dirennk Clan are joinable in that game) it would be nice if Bethesda put in some more in-game lore centered around the relations of the mer races, could be quite enlightening.

Rimfaxe96

Valuable input, for the factions you suggested, are you referring to TESO or TES V: Skyrim? I was referring to Skyrim in my OP, though I'll keep your suggestions in mind should I get TESO (if the Psijiic Order and Dirennk Clan are joinable in that game) it would be nice if Bethesda put in some more in-game lore centered around the relations of the mer races, could be quite enlightening.

I was referring to both, TESO and older lore content.
For Skyrim only I'd guess perhaps it would be better to apply "old lore" only, which would be summed up in my other post's second paragraph.

Jurgarik Greycloak

Techno master of Tamriel.
I would say no, but only because I have not heard of an Altmer Telvanni Wizard before. If you can find one, I may change my mind.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Best person to ask, in my opinion, is @DrunkenMage.

Yes, an Altmer Telvanni is perfectly fine. There are Altmer members in TES III Morrowind and since the Telvanni do not discriminate in how someone gains status (mostly due the practice of killing and or forcing your way to the top) you're fine as far as lore is concerned.

I'm assuming the Dunmer and Altmer aren't really all that friendly with each other given the circumstances of their religious practices (Divines vs. Tribunal) but would those circumstances alone just totally cock block an Altmer from being a Telvanni Wizard?

Telvanni are isolationists and don't care what other Houses or Guilds do. Nor do they exactly care all that much about religion.

"Prophecies, visions, superstitious jibber-jabber? Don't interrupt me with that nonsense. Go bother some bone-through-the-nose shaman or bug-eating wise woman."

Harc

Big Hog
Best person to ask, in my opinion, is @DrunkenMage.

Yes, an Altmer Telvanni is perfectly fine. There are Altmer members in TES III Morrowind and since the Telvanni do not discriminate in how someone gains status (mostly due the practice of killing and or forcing your way to the top) you're fine as far as lore is concerned.

I'm assuming the Dunmer and Altmer aren't really all that friendly with each other given the circumstances of their religious practices (Divines vs. Tribunal) but would those circumstances alone just totally cock block an Altmer from being a Telvanni Wizard?

Telvanni are isolationists and don't care what other Houses or Guilds do. Nor do they exactly care all that much about religion.

"Prophecies, visions, superstitious jibber-jabber? Don't interrupt me with that nonsense. Go bother some bone-through-the-nose shaman or bug-eating wise woman."
Thanks m8, good to see ya :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts