• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

GratuitousViolets

PS3 Addict
Just wondering, am I the only one who thinks there's a little too much alcohol in Skyrim and not enough other things to drink that aren't Mead, Ale or Wine? I realise that yes, even in the medieval times Ale, Mead and Wine were drank far more than water because it was considered cleaner, but come on, this is a world of magic, seriously?

Other than potions and the very RARE occasion you happen upon a jug of milk, I don't think I've seen anything to drink that isn't alcoholic? Makes me think perhaps the entire cast of NPCs might all be alcoholics if every drink they take is booze! Lmao. No wonder there's so many drunks wandering around looking for spare change.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
So you're a milk-drinker then? o_O

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Yes there is alot. :D

My guess is that "Water" isn't really worth anything maybe ...so there isn't an Item for it. As well as the Nords are a Bunch of Drinkers by Lore Characters. I mean heck, when you die an honorable death as a Nord, you go to an afterlife where you sit around and drink for eternity :D

(btw, if you ever want more drinks... and have a PC, I highly recommend the Mod "imp's More Complexed Needs". I love it. The System is set up nicely too. Keeping yourself hydrated helps your stats and can give them a Buff if you take care of yourself. When you find water or a well you are actually happy)

The thing that I don't truely understand is "Mead".

I'm a Big'O fan of Beer... I love Beer. It's yummah, (In moderation of course) but I've never had Mead before. I hear it's like a Honey Wine of some sort that is to be warmed up. I couldn't get into that from the sound of it, and not sure how a bunch of nords could either. I guess I'd just have to try it some time. I admit that the more I play Skryim, the More I want to try it.

Then the Real question would be "Honningbrew" or "Black-Briar".
SkyrimMead.jpg
tjtrewin-skyrim-7.jpg

ps. I always pick up ever bottle of Ale in the game I can find,... and leave the Mead behind :D

GratuitousViolets

PS3 Addict
Wow...that's a lot of one and two pences for a single bottle of mead!

Lol.

I actually don't drink any of the milk, ales, meads or wines. I give them to the whinging winos who wander about the street complaining about being almost sober.

Two Bears

Keep in mind that they alcohol content of beers in feudal Europe was very low. Beer was cheap to make, and loaded with calories, so it would be drunk by everyone in a peasant family at every meal, particularly in the winter months when other food was scarce. As such it was a caloric supplement to ensure that the local lord's serfs made it through the winter; not something you'd get drunk off of easily. It is likely that the alcohol content in the Elder Scrolls universe follows this pattern.

Two Bears

Is mead any good?

In my personal experience, no. It's sweet but the kind of sweet that exists to mask a less pleasant flavor, kind of like how cough syrup is. It's not thick like cough syrup, but it does have a taste that stays with you for a long time.

GratuitousViolets

PS3 Addict
Keep in mind that they alcohol content of beers in feudal Europe was very low. Beer was cheap to make, and loaded with calories, so it would be drunk by everyone in a peasant family at every meal, particularly in the winter months when other food was scarce. As such it was a caloric supplement to ensure that the local lord's serfs made it through the winter; not something you'd get drunk off of easily. It is likely that the alcohol content in the Elder Scrolls universe follows this pattern.

True. But since there seems to be an abundance of bread, cheese, cabbage and apples in Skyrim even during the winter months, I don't think the NPCs are really that in need of the ales and meads ;)

I'm just surprised though that some alternative beverages weren't thrown in? I mean, there's a lot of potential for them (unfortunately I'm not a PC player on Skyrim so I can't use mods).

There's a lot of fruit and stuff in Skyrim that could have been used to make drinks (maybe even stuff you could gift to children?). Think of the possibilities? Snowberry Slush, Jazbay Juice, Tomato Tang and maybe even Cabbage Cordial (god sakes, there's enough of bloody cabbages to make vats of it!). I'm also surprised there isn't an abundance of Cider available considering the mass of apples everywhere in the game.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
There's a lot of fruit and stuff in Skyrim that could have been used to make drinks (maybe even stuff you could gift to children?). Think of the possibilities? Snowberry Slush, Jazbay Juice, Tomato Tang and maybe even Cabbage Cordial (god sakes, there's enough of bloody cabbages to make vats of it!). I'm also surprised there isn't an abundance of Cider available considering the mass of apples everywhere in the game.

I hate to say it, but if there where those around in Skyrim,.... The nords would just put Alcohol in them =D

Chaurus Eggnog makes a nice festive treat for all the family.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Did you use Chillwind Depths chaurus eggs or Tolvald's Cave chaurus eggs? Don't use the cheap crap from Chillwind, because those Falmers spike their chaurus food with bleeding crown and that makes their eggs dodgy.

Those Azura-blasted sneaky, drug-peddling Falmer! I knew I shouldn't have trusted them. No wonder I thought I was in Sovngarde a while after I drank it!

Mead should not be sweet, any more than champagne. I grew up close to Lurgashall in the U.K. which makes a very fine selection .
I did recognize the problem in Skyrim and create a character 'the town drunk' which was not a success since he never got beyond Riverwood.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts