Advisor to Total Beginner

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

donnie

I am "advising" my disabled brother on his new adventure with Skyrim on a 360. I am amazed that we were able to even get the game started, and i HOPE, saved after experimenting for an hour, although not too surprising given that the manual says NOTHING about start up, saving, or much of the Fundamental steps of just operating the game. (rant over)

At any rate, we figured out all the way to moving through a few rooms in some dungeons, and even taking items that we found. Is there some in-game guide (other than the NP chanracter that says "this way", to know where to go next, how to. for instance, swordfight, etc?

Fortunately, the game play on this is NOT demanding, allowing plenty of time to "play" with things - [perfect for this situation] - but also frustrating, since there seems to NOT be any clear-cut goal other than walking from room to room and picking things up.

We MAY have to go back to Best Buy and buy the $30 book, ya?

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
Nah, just scrounge around online, and welcome to the forums!

donnie

Welcome to the forums, Donnie.

Stone - OK, we got a little further along - and now he keeps getting killed by a wolf just N of riverwood - and, when we try to talk to people, the character dialog box doesn't come up wihen you hit A, just a list of "stuff", and at this point, hard to tell exactly WHOSE stuff - and we can never seemed to remember which button to push to punch (hoping to kill the wolf) - get a message that health is low; but no idea how to get to the potions, or whatever - soon enough to stay alive...we have gotten from Helgen to Riverwood, killed the bear in the cave somewhere, and the "guide"(?) Rolof has left us on our own. HALP!

donnie

what system you on?
Nikola - we're on a 360 - we did get the HDMI cable, and that clears up the images quite a bit, so we can read the icons, etc. And i guess we figured out that when you get killed, you see your own dead body fall to the ground, followed by a "commercial" for artifacts, etc, while the system does an autosave. Now, if we can just get the characters' dialog to open up, we may get a little further, oh, and then there's the "how to kill the wolf" issue. seems like neve enough time to get to the potion, or whatever. maybe we somehow got the controls reassaigned?

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
A big welcome to you, Donnie, and your brother. What weapon are you using on that wolf? Wolves shouldn't be too hard to bring down is why I'm asking.

donnie

A big welcome to you, Donnie, and your brother. What weapon are you using on that wolf? Wolves shouldn't be too hard to bring down is why I'm asking.
Thanks, Dunklunk - NO weapon - too early to have figured out how to GET weapons, much less use them - can't even figure out how to PUNCH, after we get the firsts up - this is on a 360 -

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Punching is just using the left and right triggers for the 360, donnie. Get those combos in there for some damage. Float like a butterfly. . .Weapons and gold can be scrounged for when you encounter stuff like chests, dead guys, urns, dead guys, dressers, dead guys. And don't forget the dead guys. Specifically their pockets. Have fun! :p

donnie

Punching is just using the left and right triggers for the 360, donnie. Get those combos in there for some damage. Float like a butterfly. . .Weapons and gold can be scrounged for when you encounter stuff like chests, dead guys, urns, dead guys, dressers, dead guys. And don't forget the dead guys. Specifically their pockets. Have fun! :p
DK- OK - but what we're still running into is WAY more fundamental than THAT even - triggers is easy to understand for punching, BUT, first we have to know WHAT the triggers are - is that the actual buttons referred to as triggers, or the L and R thumbsticks - i THINK we may have indavdertenlty rekeyed the controls with a lof of playing around with everything, and hope that there is some way to simply restore the defaults - for instance, we cannot pull up a dialog menu when talking with people - the manual says "press A" - ok, and then a dialong menu pops up - stuff to talk about, stuff you already talked about - HOWEVER, we don't gt that - we get an inventory of stuff - like stuff we took - wooden bowls, blah blah - this is totally confusing....and dead guys? we end being the "dead guys" more often than not - but thanks for the pointer there - i'm sure we'll find some dead guys - or create some - btw - we're playing as Dark Elf - if that makes any difference...

donnie

Oh, yeah - another thing - there keeps appearing (in read) in the center of the screen "pickpocket" - is that the guy we're following - or is that US? can't find anything in the manual on it...

donnie

OK, on the hunt for dead guys to loot - and there's this SPRINT button, which seems NOT to work - do yo press the button to sprint and then go forward - OR, go forward and then press the button - or HOLD DOWN the button - and is that before or after you go forward - OR jus press OR hold the button and NOT go forward? I'm really surprised that the manual doesn't have any of this FUNdamental stuff in it - just simple game play mechanics. Glad you guys are awake all night !

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
hold the button down as you move. The pickpocket label,, is for you to pickpocket somebody else, usually the person your cursor rests on.

donnie

Appreciate the Help, Nikola - that makes a difference! - any ideas on the character dialog? can't seem to get that little menu up there - oh - pickpocket - seems people react to having their pockets picked, like with axes and stuff - SO, we'll avoid doing that until we get some better armor and stuff. It's starting to make a little more sense now -

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.

donnie

Hey, G'day xSuoiveDx - appreciate the links, but we're not their (YET) - still back at the VERY beginning beginning, like figuring out the 360 controls, etc. Current problem is the STUFF issue, we can pick up stuff, but what happens next is NOT real obvious - seems you can "equip" stuff (whatever THAT means), so we usually just "take all" - and then not sure how to access it once it's in the ?pocket? and we DID have a sword, but it sort of disappeared, OR we couldn't find it to use it again....HOWEVER, we did find a "settings" setting that allowed us to scale down to "novice" level, for the first hundred years or so.....and, begin from Minnesota, it's fun to hear the Nordic accents of the characters - pretty realistic!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
If you want to access your inventory then press B on your controller then scroll through your inventory.

donnie

thank you, sir - now the REST of the question - so, we press B, which brings up a "map, magic, soemthing else, and items" - use the DIR pad to get to Items, there's a collection of different types, like apparel, weapons, etc - move over to the right side, and here's this list of stuff - the question is HOW do we actually make sure the sword is ready to use, and, when the game says to get some potion (this occurs frequently, HOW do "get" it? if you A (activate) it, is that all there is to it, or does something else have to happen - and like on armor - how do you "put it on", or whatever?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
To equip armor and weapons scroll to the required item then click the right trigger to equip it. If you press Y you can add it your favourites, you can access your favourites at any time by pressing up on the D Pad.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts