Advice and Tips needed for Writing ES fanfiction

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me with two aspects of a potential story I am writing that is based around TES V: Skyrim. I'm a relatively new "writer," and this is my first attempt at a story based around an Original Character. The aspects I mentioned include the name of the character (I look rather deeply into the matter (i.e looking at phrases and words in different languages and visiting ancient tales), but I nonetheless have difficulty), and what his allegiances should be, for the stories' sake. For better understanding, let me explain his story (feel free to criticize and advise here too; this is mainly just an idea/rough draft):

I have my character as a Nord infant that is the child of both an Imperial and a Nord, and was born in Cyrodiil during the times of the Great War. His parents were both Blades members, but were slain, leaving him an orphan. He is then given to his Imperial relatives who tend an inn. They raise him well and all, but as he grows they notice his strange, strong stature, his resistance in cold, and general skill in fighting (inherited Nordic traits; he didn't fight on a regular basic, but got into a scrap as a child, which he won handily), but they also noticed how he secluded himself from others, and kept to his books. As he grows older, he is rather spoiled and overconfident, and they eventually tell him the complete background of his past as an infant (his parent's careers, their own past, basically their whole lives), and they send him to Skyrim for a journey.

From there, I basically base the story somewhat off what the game tells. (Not in order) He joins the Companions, does slay Alduin as the Dragonborn, slay Miraak, etc., yet I'm determined to have him join a side in the Civil War, but I have much difficulty choosing. I'm leaning towards the Stormcloaks, because it'd make it interesting that he'd have to fight the Empire he grew up with, but the Imperials seem more logical (granted I could change things a bit, but I want to keep that to a minimum). In the end, I want him to be ruler of something (most likely High King, not Emperor). Like, if he sided with the Stormcloaks and won, and became High King (I know Ulfric would be the first choice, and I have that in the story), he becomes a negotiating leader that the majority of Skyrim despises, for seemingly "lacking" the traits shown by the Stormcloak army, and failing to recognize his true honor and skill in battle. For example, I was thinking of him, if I went this route (Stormcloaks) negotiating with Hammerfell and, to the Nords' fury, Black Marsh. It would become a sort of third faction, next to the Dominion and the Empire.

It'd also be good to know his personality for his name and allegiances, eh? Generally speaking, he's always been more of diplomat, and will, in most cases, attempt to negotiate, but will not hesitate to fight if it's absolutely necessary. When he was younger, he was more secluded, and it is there in which he truly became a fan of literature and a scholar. However, shortly after he entered Skyrim, he acquired a sort of "arrogant hero's" personality, in which he would try to do things himself, prove honorable, etc. As he grows old, and after all that's happened, and is King, he also "grows" as a person, able to identify the goodness in people and look past races, able to forgive many, recognize true honor, and see the greatest aspects of life (love, friendship, etc.), and generally becomes much wiser.

If that explains nothing, I apologize. I've never been good explaining the personality of my characters.

AS88

Staff member
Sounds good. It depends what sort of name you're going for, between Imperial or more Nordic. As for one each, I'd say Reman for a more Imperial vibe (obviously that ties in with the Blades parents), or Thonnir for something more Nordic (purely out of my own taste). I hope this helps, even if it just gets your creative juices flowing a bit. Welcome to the forums :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts