• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

CaptainPollux

We must be careful about what we pretend to be.
So... I found myself generally unhappy with the choices you could make in regards to the civil war. I'm glad it isn't really the focus of the game because aside from one or two lies you hear from relevant NPCs, it really lacks verve.

So I got this little plot bunny that says I should rewrite the civil war quests as a choose-your-own adventure type of thing.

I understand that there are only a thousand different issues with trying to apply and open ended story to an open-ended game lik Skyrim, but I'd still like to try.

Presently, I'm considering branching off of the main quest at some point and possibly some sort of lore-friendly time travel that would allow you to ultimately save Torygg among other things.

I'm presently looking for opinions, references and possibly co-writers.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
So... I found myself generally unhappy with the choices you could make in regards to the civil war. I'm glad it isn't really the focus of the game because aside from one or two lies you hear from relevant NPCs, it really lacks verve.

So I got this little plot bunny that says I should rewrite the civil war quests as a choose-your-own adventure type of thing.

I understand that there are only a thousand different issues with trying to apply and open ended story to an open-ended game lik Skyrim, but I'd still like to try.

Presently, I'm considering branching off of the main quest at some point and possibly some sort of lore-friendly time travel that would allow you to ultimately save Torygg among other things.

I'm presently looking for opinions, references and possibly co-writers.

At one point I had given thought to doing a CYOA game here, forum style. I never got around to it though. Heh.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well my idea was to do a basic test run. A simple adventure with simple writing where you had choices. Never got around to it. Typical me is typical. But yes the civil war could have used a lot of improvement. Then again, the same could be said about other story areas in the game.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Well my recent FanFic is about the Civil War but personally I avoid breaking the Canon know that is just me. I basically had the Civil War going on but the Dragonborn isn't involved so I can have both sides win and lose battles making it seem like a more realistic timeline. That being said I think you should twist the lore make it engaging but don't break the canon. I reached a point were I was gonna change the canon, but talking with some friends they said breaking canon is the First Do Not of FanFic. I don't know if it was true but in the end I found staying with canon would be a beter story decision.

Basically do what you want but I would say twist the canon. don't break it or at least don't shatter it completely.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well 'canon' is a loose term in TES I think. The civil has at least three different truths or canon. Imperials win or the Stormcloaks win or the war never advances. So I think there is room to make your own canon.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Well 'canon' is a loose term in TES I think. The civil has at least three different truths or canon. Imperials win or the Stormcloaks win or the war never advances. So I think there is room to make your own canon.

I mostly meant in killing characters. Or saving characters... IDK I am tired but I suppose you are right by Canon I mean certain actions happen... or something lol.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well even that can change. Especially if you have it where essential characters can be killed (like in Morrowind). Canon is not solid until the next TES game comes out imo.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
It's a good concept, and I never truly liked the civil war questline and never really completed it. I think that making your own canon could be very interesting, considering the quests always ended up with your side winning and no realism with battles. A good concept, though

Mookie

Join stormcloaks, fight to solitude and then challenge him in front of the city walls ;)

CaptainPollux

I reached a point were I was gonna change the canon, but talking with some friends they said breaking canon is the First Do Not of FanFic.

I mean... Honestly, I have never heard that rule. I understand that as a fanfic writer, you're consistently dancing that line between canon and original story and that generally, it's easiest to stay as close to canon as possible to please as many fans as possible and therefore have a popular work.

AUs are a thing, and some of the most popular fanfictions I know are counter-canon (resurrecting dead characters and etc.)

Really though? What do you mean by, "break?"

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I mean... Honestly, I have never heard that rule. I understand that as a fanfic writer, you're consistently dancing that line between canon and original story and that generally, it's easiest to stay as close to canon as possible to please as many fans as possible and therefore have a popular work.

AUs are a thing, and some of the most popular fanfictions I know are counter-canon (resurrecting dead characters and etc.)

Really though? What do you mean by, "break?"

Lol sorry man I was tired, IDK re-reading I don't think I had an argument xD But I mean if you can write it well enough (I hink my friend knew I couldn't) then it works. Honestly I think I posted without really thinking. I think start writing it and see the feedback. I mean most people here will like the different course of the war.

CaptainPollux

Lol sorry man I was tired,

No it's cool, I know that feel. 90% of the brainstorming for this idea has been when I'm only half-lucid in class after not getting quite enough sleep. :)

At this point I have a few proper ideas stewing. We'll see where they go.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts