• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I'm stuck on the Dawnguard side quest 'A Jarls Justice'

-http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:A_Jarl%27s_Justice-

It involves my character, Grobenjii killing a vampire who is pretending to be the visiting adviser. My problem is that Benjii is a lawful citizen. Attacking the vampire in the Jarls House is a no go. I've tried sneakily crossbowing him and poisoning him. I even turned the difficulty right down so I could 1shot him, but it didn't work.

The Jarl says he will believe me if I get some evidence off the vampire. This requires pickpocketing which my Orc refuses to do.

I'm not sure how to get rid of him. I'm in Dawnstar and I play on a Ps3...

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
he is a vampire he ain't even human he is a demon who could slaughter the whole city if you don't act

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
:rolleyes: Yous arnt helping. haha

He cant pickpocket coz its still at 15 and Benjii just refuses to stoop that low.

Hmmm maybe you are right though... If my Orc slaughters him than surrenders himself to the authorities and spends a few days in jail, maybe that is the answer....

I wont do that just yet though. Im interested to see if anyone has found a better way out of this moral predicament.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I came across a few similar challenges when playing my pacifist. Sometimes, there's just no way around it. Is there any way you can provoke a fight between the vampire and the guards? If you're not morally opposed to using Fury spells, there's that. Or you could use a non-lethal Shout on the vampire, which should turn him hostile, which should prompt the guards to attack him. (I do believe both of those options will still count as a kill for you, since you technically "attacked" him.) Or, if you could somehow kite the vampire to another enemy, or another enemy to the vampire, like a bear or a sabrecat, he should start fighting it, and if you can keep healing the animal until it wins (I helped a bear kill a dragon like that once, it was epic).

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I came across a few similar challenges when playing my pacifist. Sometimes, there's just no way around it. Is there any way you can provoke a fight between the vampire and the guards? If you're not morally opposed to using Fury spells, there's that. Or you could use a non-lethal Shout on the vampire, which should turn him hostile, which should prompt the guards to attack him. (I do believe both of those options will still count as a kill for you, since you technically "attacked" him.) Or, if you could somehow kite the vampire to another enemy, or another enemy to the vampire, like a bear or a sabrecat, he should start fighting it, and if you can keep healing the animal until it wins (I helped a bear kill a dragon like that once, it was epic).

They are all really good points however...

- My Orc doesn't use magic and the fury spell does incur a bounty anyway.

- As far as I can tell, the vampire doesnt leave the Jarls home.

A bear kill a dragon!? how did the bear get him to land??

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I have an idea or 2 that might help you. certain NPCs will fight over objects if you drop them thus killing one another this mainly happens with Mjoll in riften but it might work on other NPCs as well so there is a suggestion if you don use magic get a scroll of Fury hide in a corner and cast it at him when your hidden

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
A bear kill a dragon!? how did the bear get him to land??

Dragons will land to attack any enemy, whether it's you or something else. The dragon was coming after me at first, and I accidentally kited it over to a bear as I was trying to run away from it. I had the Voice of the Sky blessing you get from the wayshrines on the Seven Thousand Steps, so the bear wasn't hostile to me, but it was hostile to the dragon as soon as it landed, so I just kept casting Courage and Healing Hands on the bear. It took probably twenty minutes, real time, but it eventually killed the dragon, and I got the soul without it counting as a kill for me!

Forsworn camps also work well for this, but they will be hostile towards you so you need to be careful. Invisibility potions are helpful here. I usually let the Forsworn across from Sky Haven Temple kill the dragon there for me since it's so easy to stay out of sight and watch the show!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
You can still try using a Shout on him, like the first word of Unrelenting Force. The guards in the Jarl's place may attack you, but if the vampire is hostile they should also attack him. Maybe take a few invisibility potions and just go invisible and hide somewhere right after Shouting? The guards may not try to arrest you then, but they should still fight the vampire.

HEY, what about a companion? You can just take some big tank in and ask them to attack the vampire. Their kills definitely count as yours, but unless you're trying to keep your kill count at 0, that doesn't matter. I mean, yes, you're asking someone to kill someone else and that isn't very moral to someone who is pacifistic, but... I don't know, you could say that the vampire gave you a hungry look and your companion was only defending you?

AS88

Staff member
Irishman, your Orc needs to stop being such a selfish sissy and take the jail time on the chin. There are lives at stake, damnit!

:p

('stake' - no pun intended)

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
No magic spells work on the vamp, believe me, I've tried it. He will resist them all. So it's either out right attack him, or pickpocket his ass. I hate that quest and only do it when my sneak level is high, take a potion of pick-pocket AND be wearing some type of Pick-pocket enchanted gear.

It's the only two options you have.

AS88

Staff member
He will not pickpocket! I ask him to and he just stands there looking dumbfounded and gives me those cute lil innocent eyes...

Looks like imma just have to rip him apart and spend some time in jail. Ive never been to prison in Dawnstar yet.

Of course, you could always... break out of jail ;)

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
He will not pickpocket! I ask him to and he just stands there looking dumbfounded and gives me those cute lil innocent eyes...

Looks like imma just have to rip him apart and spend some time in jail. Ive never been to prison in Dawnstar yet.

Of course, you could always... break out of jail ;)

i-see-what-you-did-there-serious-cat.jpg

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I am yet to break out of jail, I always avoid going by paying a fine or declaring I am the Thane/Thieves guild..etc. Anyway I went once and they only gave me one Lockpick...which promptly broke. :sadface:

Yeah I very rarely go to jail either. It might be a good experience... I can guarantee no1 would try and man handle GroBenjii :p

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I am yet to break out of jail, I always avoid going by paying a fine or declaring I am the Thane/Thieves guild..etc. Anyway I went once and they only gave me one Lockpick...which promptly broke. :sadface:

Yeah I very rarely go to jail either. It might be a good experience... I can guarantee no1 would try and man handle GroBenjii :p

I can guarantee my female characters would be man-handled.. :p

Chadonraz

I ran into the same problem with my previous character. She, however, decided that her only real option was to sneakily kill the vampire - even though that would count as a murder, it technically wouldn't be. The "advisor" was just an it instead of a he, after all.

I have to say, I was disappointed when Jarl Balgruuf didn't believe me when I was sent to warn him about a vampire threat. Fortunately it was much easier to successfully execute a sneak attack (and the ensuing fight) in Dragonsreach than it was in Winterhold (the previous location).

Dawnstar is probably the worst location for the quest, along with Riften*. I wish you luck on your quest. :)
I remember going the pickpocket route in the past, and having to reload a bunch of times in Dawnstar. The stupid Stormcloak officer kept spotting me.

*And of course the vanilla game is bugged so Isran only ever sends you to those two towns. -.-

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I ran into the same problem with my previous character. She, however, decided that her only real option was to sneakily kill the vampire - even though that would count as a murder, it technically wouldn't be. The "advisor" was just an it instead of a he, after all.

I have to say, I was disappointed when Jarl Balgruuf didn't believe me when I was sent to warn him about a vampire threat. Fortunately it was much easier to successfully execute a sneak attack (and the ensuing fight) in Dragonsreach than it was in Winterhold (the previous location).

Dawnstar is probably the worst location for the quest, along with Riften*. I wish you luck on your quest. :)
I remember going the pickpocket route in the past, and having to reload a bunch of times in Dawnstar. The stupid Stormcloak officer kept spotting me.

*And of course the vanilla game is bugged so Isran only ever sends you to those two towns. -.-

Thanks Chad. Im getting the feeling that there is no easy solution to the problem!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
"Just kill the monster and serve your time in jail." They said.

:rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

No, I will NOT cut a long story short. You shall listen to my story and Talos dammit, you will be remorseful and feel sympathy for GroBenjii!

Twas a cool morning in the dreary town of Dawnstar. The citizen's nightmares had finally lifted and GroBenjii strolled into the Inn to greet his waiting wife, Borgakh. Benjii ordered a large breakfast that filled his stomach that had been growling all night. He told his wife the tale of how himself and the priest of Mara, Erandur had cleansed the nearby tower from the power of Vaermina. The Orc left out no detail except the part where the Daedric Prince had spoken to him, and tried to pursued him to take the life of the innocent priest. Its not that he had thought he was crazy or imagining things, as he had encountered a Daedric Prince before who had bestowed upon him a powerful glowing sword for the service he had done. No, he just didn't think this was the time to tell his beloved that a powerful being had almost succeeded in manipulating him.

As Benjii lay down to sleep away most of the day, he gave a brief thought as to the reason he was in Dawnstar; The slaying of a sneaky vampire who had infiltrated the Jarl's court. He knew this would not be easy and went over many scenarios in his head before sleep finally took over his weary body.

It was late afternoon before the large Orc rolled out of bed. His wife must have come in sometime during the nap and snuggled as he felt he could learn things really quickly, and that only happened with her help. for the second time in as many days, he bid his missus farewell and told her that he would be back by morning. This mission would require a certain amount of stealth. He strode over to the Alchemy shop to check for a powerful lingering poison. After asking several times if she was sure she didn't have what he was after (ask. no? stab! reload), Benjii left the alchemist slightly disappointed but not deterred.

Method 1. Fire Enchanted enhanced crossbow (legendary) + exploding fire bolts + sneak + 40% fortify archery potion. 1st shot = everyone aggro with minimal health loss from the vampire. 2nd shot = explosion hit another person. RESTART (Benjii wouldn't seriously hurt someone just for being cranky at him)

Method 2. Straight out attack vampire with Dawnbreaker and Dawnguard war axe. Everyone aggro, vampire life is halfway but Benjii gets slaughtered before he can land any more attacks.

Method 3. Attack Vampire, run outside. This worked well.

As guard, citizen and vampire alike all took swipes at GroBenjii, all he could think of, was that he was doing the right thing and they would thank him in the end. His superior agility and awareness, coupled with a berserk like rage, were the only thing that kept him alive. Dodging an arrow, the orc charged at the vampire and swung Dawnbreaker down with force. He was sure this would be the killing blow. However, the vampire soaked up the blow, turned, ran and than went invisible. fluff! have you ever tried to find an invisible fiend when there are 15 guards all hunting for your head? Not easy! The familier sound of vampire drain was his downfall however and one more sidestepping power attack was all it took to end the bloodsuckers rein of terror (too dramatic?)!

Like a man, GroBenjii turned and sheathed his sword to face his punishment. 1018 gold or jail? No way they were they going to take his gold. He should be the one getting paid! Jail it was!

As Benjii paced his cell and tried in vain to speak to the guard on duty, he discovered a lockpick in his rags. Very odd. He never carried lockpicks. As the good Samaritan he is, Benjii took the lockpick out and dropped it in the corner of the cell. How would he know what to do with it? Before going to sleep for the next however-many-days the Orc noticed he was hungry. It was a strange hunger though... oh well. Sleep time!

Exactly four days later Benjii emerged. It was just past sunset and the night looked fantastic. He could see every detail, smell every flower and hear everyone's heartbeats... uh oh.

Sh!t Sh!t Sh!t! After a quick stop in at the pub which told Benjii his wife had returned home to Markarth, the Orc sprinted back to Fort Dawnguard to get answers and hopefully not be killed on sight. He hated vampires. He hated himself. That night was a blur. he must have gotten into a fight because as the blinding sun rose and he walked through the gated at fort dawnguard, he looked down at his body covered in blood (4random vampire attacks from Dawnstar to Riften, 3 vampires each attack. He killed 12 vampires that night in a panicked rage), not a good impression if you are trying to get help from a bunch of borderline-psychopathic hunters...

So, Isran took the news exceptionally well! He told the Orc to go find Falion in Morthal to cure himself. He also said he should chop the Orc's head off. And he called Benjii a monster... twice! Everyone else in the Fort were fairly polite but called him a monster as well. Off to Morthal we go (damn I was just over that way)!

Falion turned out to be rather rude and abrupt and also slightly cocky. He did however offer to help, and upon seeing Benjii's filled black soul gem, he trudged off into the wilderness asking the Orc to follow. A quick (and slightly unimpressive) ceremony was all it took to return GroBenjii's eyes from glowing with hunger to huge and puppy-dog like.

What an adventure! Such a simple quest really turned into an epic struggle over ones humanity. I am never doing that mission again! haha

By the way, I didn't mean for it to be that long :oops: got a bit carried away...

Ps. Benjii hardly ever travels at night so I think that's why I got so many random vampire attacks in 1 night. I'm yet to have vampire kill my npc's in the city because Benjii is always at the pub by sunset :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts