OOC A Light Shining in Darkness (A Dragon Age Roleplay)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    It is two years after the Fifth Blight and Ferelden is in a state of rebuilding. Denerim has been repaired, the Grey Wardens have been built up again and the terrible taint the Darkspawn drag with them has begun to recede. After two years of terrible famine crops are growing again. Rivers run clear again. Banns and Arls have given up their petty feuds to help each other rebuild. Redcliff, Lotharing, Ostagar, even Highever, the sight of Arl Howe's treachery, have been rebuilt and their lands restored to their rightful owners. It is a time of renewal in Ferelden but also a time of vengeance. Vengeance against the Darkspawn that tried to destroy the world five times and against the Old Gods that lead them. Who tainted the Golden City and drove the Maker from earth and heaven. The surface has had enough and the Chantry hears its call.

An Exalted March has been called! A holy war in the Maker's name to go into the Deep Roads and destroy the Darkspawn once and for all! Our dwarven allies were critical in saving Ferelden and we will return the favor! We will give the stoutfolk their old kingdoms back and return to our Maker in one fell swoop! Onward children of the Maker! Onward to victory!

The Warden's Actions:

• The Warden was a City Elf and Circle Mage named Paul who made the ultimate sacrifice against the Archdemon to end the Blight.
    • All companions joined the Warden and all survived the Blight. They've all spent the last two years pursuing their own dreams in honor of the Warden and many have returned to Ferelden to aid in the Exalted March.
    • Alistair became king of Ferelden and rules jointly with Queen Anora. Arl Howe's lands, the Amarantine, have been donated to the Wardens and Vigil's Keep serves as their stronghold Soldier's Peak, maintained by the Drydan family and Denerim Headquarters, a sub level of Fort Drakon and maintained by the fort's garrison, serve as secondary bases. The Wardens have been rebuilt to a strength not seen since the Fourth Blight.
    • The Urn of Sacred Ashes is currently undergoing study by a Chantry expedition led by Brother Genitivi. Due to the extraordinary importance of this artifact the Divine in Val Royaux has decreed that it remain a secret until its validity, origin and magic can be determined, as well as whether or not its ashes are self-replenishing. The Guardian Spirit who watches over the urn has been very helpful even though the Circle of Magi has not been able to determine if the spirit is or is not a demon. For now, it seems benevolent
    • Denerim and all of its important landmarks have been rebuilt. The Alienage was in ruins after the Blight but many elves view that as the best thing that could have happened to it. It forced the city to see how the elves lived and as a result the Alienage has been completely rebuilt with much better conditions than before. Shianni is the new Bann of the Alienage and has turned it into Denerims's most productive and prosperous district, though racism still remains.
    • The Circle of Magi was saved and thanks to the Warden's sacrifice has earned its independence. The Circle appointed the Tranquils as their new guardians and the transition from the Templars has gone smoothly and gradually over the past two years. The Templars still guard the Circle's Chantry but have been drastically reduce in force and now serve as advisers only.
    • Arl Eamon stayed in Denerim in order to advise and serve the new king and queen. Bann Tegan took over Redcliff as the new Arl.
    • King Harrowmont now rules Orzimmar. An initially fierce rebellion by supporters of Bhelen has now ended and the supporters have calmed down since Harrowmont took steps to open Orzimmar to the surface, thus creating the accommodations necessary for the Exalted March. Opinions among the populace are mixed but more people than not are at least willing to go along with it.
    • The Dalish were granted a new homeland in the Kokari Wilds south of Ostagar. They have attracted many City Elves and have prospered though tensions with the native Chasind have risen. Lanaya, the new Keeper after Zathrian's death has managed to keep the peace but tensions remain.

Rules:
    1. No godding. (That means no super-duper Nirn killing powers, character ideas, abilities or anything else that ruins other people's fun. If you're not sure if your idea crosses the line, please ask.)
    2. No Thu'ums (I'm afraid none of us are the Dragonborn and none of us were trained by the Greybeards.)
    3. Master-level skills and spells are fine, but please keep rule number 1 in mind.
    4. Please try and keep cursing and lewd speech to a minimum in the RP itself. I don't care what you guys do in the OOC chat (this thread here).
    5. Make all of your posts at least a paragraph (Five sentences.) and please try to post once a week.More is better. Anyone who does not post for a month or more and has not posted a reason why will be considered inactive and have their character suffer a terrible death at the claws of a thousand dire bunnies. Sorry, I mean be parked somewhere for when and if they decide to come back.
    6. If you know you have an upcoming commitment, you get bored with the RP, life hijaks you or you become otherwise unable to post for an extended number of days, please let us know in the OOC chat or PM me. That way the group knows what's going on with you, we can park you somewhere until you get back, and the story can move along smoothly. More importantly, you don't get badgered about where you are and you can do whatever it is you have to do in peace.
    7. I will start this RP when we have 4-6 people, but it will remain open. If you're new and you wish to join, please introduce yourself and submit a character card. You must also provide a generous sample of your own roleplaying along with your character card. This can be something you've written before or something new. Whichever gives you less of a migrane. This includes everyone from the old story in the intererst of fairness. Also, please note which color you want your dialogue to be. Colors are first come first served. NPC's will be standard gray unless Sheogorath deems otherwise.
    8. You may have one or two characters in this RP and any NPC's you feel would add to the story. However, please take note of who is doubling up on characters before doing so yourself and be mindful of how it would affect the group. A 20 man party over 10 members is a bit unwieldy. If you need to drop a character because two is too hard to manage, that's fine. Just let us know.
    9. Have fun! This is the most importaint rule. If you have any questions about anything, plese speak up.
    All of the above rules are common sense stuff. I don't think anything is too hard to follow. If I forgot to address anything, please let me know.

Last edited:

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    Seems cool! Sadly I don't know much about DA.. I've only played DA:2.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Don't you fight Darkspawn and go into the Deep Roads in that one?

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Than you know enough to know what's going on here. Reading up on Orzimmar would help though.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    I could do that. I'm still feeling a bit nervous about being in a RP again. I feel like a fifth wheel, because I'm not experienced.

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    Name: Gendrick (Aeducan)

Race: Dwarf

Nationality: Orzammar

Dialogue: This

Class: Warrior - Legionnaire

Origins: Gendrick was raised as a member of House Aeducan - he was a cousin of Prince Behlen and the Aeducan Royal Family. However, he quickly gave up that life for glory.

Looks:

Bolin.jpg

(Armor is 99% accurate, except faces and skulls are replaced by Legion of the Dead insignia. He also has numerous faint red tattoos that run up his jaws and accross his forehead, with a sort of triangular pattern.)

Personality:
    Gendrick is an honorable and dutiful Dwarf, a true soldier of the society. Although stubborn, and sometimes coming accross as uncaring, Gendrick has no fear and fights with unrivaled ferocity. Battle is his life, and he prays that one day he will find an honorable death in battle so that he may be returned to the Stone. He despises politics, and feels that those who favor the Assembly Chamber or Shaperate over the glory of combat against the Darkspawn are not worthy of a name, Cast or title.

Combat Preferences: Gendrick is a ferocious warrior. His tremendous strength makes him well-suited to wielding his axe, or in some cases a mace and shield. His fighting style, however, even with the shield, normally consists of hacking and bashing his way through enemy after enemy with such force that he can split foes in two on occasion.

Skills: Gendrick has limited people skills, but is a strong leader and remarkable tactician. This is on top of solid combat skills, making him an ideal soldier for the Dwarven Military. His fearlessness and disregard for his own life suit him perfectly to serve in the Legion of the Dead.

Equipment: Gendrick wears a dark steel set of plate armor, decorated with Legion insignia and trimmed with red trimmings and grey iron decorations.

His primary weapon is a two-handed axe, which can almost always be seen on his back if it is not in his hands.

battleaxe_front.jpg9e547acf-b405-4a82-8cf2-01709840a7a1Larger.jpg

His secondary weapon is not always present on his person but is never far away. His second choice consists of a mace and shield.

mace.jpg

shield_PNG1269.png

Background: Gendrick was born to the brother of the King of Orzammar, an Aeducan by birthright. With no real claim to the Throne of Orzammar, with the King having three sons of his own, and with a power-hungry father, Gendrick was groomed and pressured into growing into a strong member of the Dwarven assembly. He followed many of the assembly members around, learning the trade as was desired of him.

However, despite all this, Gendrick's only true want was to enjoy life. He frequented inns, women and provings. He went with many expeditions into the Deep Roads, and was determined to hone his skills. He attempted for a time to learn the teachings of the Chantry, but did not understand the ways of the humans. He has never visited the surface before.

After his uncle's death, Gendrick's father began moving Gendrick into a position to become Prince Behlen's heir. However, the Grey Warden saw to it that Lord Harrowmont became King of Orzammar, and Behlen fell staging a coup in an attempt to claim control through force, slain at the hands of the Grey Warden.

This was an enormous blow to Gendrick's father, who wanted his strain of the Aeducan family to assume control. He turned his rage and anger towards Gendrick, his eldest son and now Heir to the Lordship of the House Aeducan. His two younger brothers were not subject to his father's anger. His father wanted Gendrick to forsake his name and allow a more devoted Aeducan to assume Lordship.

This was all Gendrick had ever wanted; an opportunity to forsake his name and live a life of honor, fighting the Darkspawn. He was declared "dead" at the age of 23, where he was accepted into the ranks of the Legion of the Dead. He was a valiant fighter, courageous to the last, and this saw him quickly rise in rank until he became one of the six Lieutenants of the Legion. He has approximately 40 men under his direct control, although he does not see himself as above any of them; one cannot be superior, when all of them are dead.

He has stood in the Legion for 813 days, one of the longest standing members of the Dead Cast for years. He has had the honor of reuniting numerous comrades with the Stone. Now, with an Exalted March on the horizon, Gendrick has been recalled from the front lines. His men have returned to Orzammar, to receive orders from King Harrowmont. He has been ordered about recruiting soldiers to bolster dwarven ranks for the March, and is to guide teams of outsiders through the Deep Roads.

Despite the aims of the March, Gendrick still harbors one personal aspiration. Now, with the might of joint Orzammar-Ferelden offensive on the move, he hopes that he will live long enough to reclaim the Dead City of Bownammar, the former Legion headquarter, before he faces his second death and is reunited with the Stone.

Sample

Gendrick sat silent by the fire in Tapster's Tavern. The flame's tongues licked at his face, threatening to send the forks of his beard up in flames. The fire flickered a magnificent orange similar to that of his beard, and warmed his skin to the point of burning. Finally, after gazing intensely at the fire for minutes on end, he relented. The fires would send him no signs tonight. Gendrick ran his stubby fingers through the course red hairs of his beard, pondering. It was rare for a Legionnaire to be recalled to Orzammar after being dispatched, although he himself had been so a few times in his service. They could not leave him to die of starvation after all; there was no honor in that. But his time had been far less routine. In just two weeks, Gendrick would be headed back out with 40 Legionnaires at his back, serving as a backbone to a group of outsiders. An Exalted March.

Gendrick did not know the last time a March had been called, only that it had been long ago, and not in the realm of the dwarves. It was a great honor to represent the dwarves a battlefield leader, during a March that could potentially put an end to the Darkspawn once and for all. The prospect of falling in battle and being rejoined with the Stone in such a blaze of glorious death set him salivating.

Of course, there was much to do, much to prepare. Within days, thousands of outsiders from all parts of the surface world would come pouring into Orzammar. Gendrick would be needed to keep order on the streets, as well as seek out the strong to join his forces. There were still four Legion units in the Deep Roads; Gendrick's was in Orzammar and the other had been sent out to the mountain pass to ensure the safe arrival of the outsiders. Four units that would be needed in the coming months, seeking redemption and reunion. Without strong dwarven units to lead the way through their own lands, surely it was unwise to leave them out there. And yet, it was not his decision to make. It was King Harrowmont's. Gendrick did not understand that one's motives, or why he had soldiers risking the success of the March unnecessarily. It was times like these that he was glad they were not facing an army of politicians. As far as Gendrick was concerned, they posed a larger threat than any Darkspawn.

But now was not the time to contemplate the intrigues of the assembly. It was time to begin organizing his forces. Gendrick grabbed the large glass mug at his side and chugged its contents, before standing and moving swiftly out of the door, into the warm, dense air of the Commons.

Last edited:

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    That's okay. This is a good time to get experienced. TallestMouse24 is a brand new member who proposed a Dragon Age RP in the first place and as you can see, I took notice of that. Now she has a senior member supporting her idea and helping to guide her, as do you my friend :)

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    That's okay. This is a good time to get experienced. TallestMouse24 is a brand new member who proposed a Dragon Age RP in the first place and as you can see, I took notice of that. Now she has a senior member supporting her idea and helping to guide her, as do you my friend :)
    Oh sure, you two just go and take all the credit then :p Nyoxios I'm a massive DA nerd so if you're having any problems I'm more than happy to help.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    That CC alone looks damn impressive :eek:

Blitzz

A Friendly Brit
    Thank you very much! If you want a hand making one drop me a PM, I'll help you construct one piece by piece:)

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    I have made a character once for a Skyrim RP, and I have an unfinished draft for another.

Maybe if I can adapt the draft one.. or adapt the first complete one.. I'll show you.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Name: Peter Rowan

Race: Human (Tranquil)

Nationality: Ferelden

Class: Rogue

Origins: The Circle of Magi

Looks: 5’8 with clean cut blonde hair and well-kept blonde beard with traces of brown. Pale skin, brown eyes and the same empty stare that all Tranquils give. If this is too vague a description, look up Emissary Pether, the Tranquil advisor at your party camp in Origins. Peter looks like him except for the different hair color.
    Personality: Technically Peter has no personality as he is incapable of emotion but this trait provides a personality unto itself. Like all Tranquils he is calm and collective and speaks in a flat, even voice. He has unnatural concentration and there is little he does not see or hear. He is fully aware of his “people’s” reputation among the Circle and the greater populace and uses that to his advantage. In the right situation he can be very persuasive, calming down someone who is upset or angry with his steady, even disposition or making someone uncomfortable and anxious when trying to get information they wouldn’t otherwise want to share. He prefers to be with people so he may listen to them and liven up his environment. He prefers to help others and finds contentment in menial tasks such as sorting small items, sweeping, ordering storage rooms and making potions.

Combat Preferences: Peter prefers to avoid a fight whenever possible but has no qualms about defending himself. After undergoing the Rite of Tranquility he took up combat training with the Circle’s Templars to be ready in case of another rebellion like Uldrid’s. He could not become a Templar himself but learned in months fighting techniques that take initiates years to master. This is in part due to natural talent but mainly from the discipline and focus only a Tranquil can muster. He fights with a sword in his right hand and a dagger in his left and always searches an enemy for a weak point. Always searching for a way to flank or backstab an enemy without a direct frontal assault. He has no worries about honor and no qualms about fighting dirty. The goal of every battle is to survive and win; therefore anything to make it easier is acceptable.

Skills: Peter is a master of enchantment, potion making, poison making and when he has time, beer brewing. These are his everyday duties as a Tranquil and he takes sincere enjoyment in them. Or as much enjoyment as a Tranquil can. He uses all of these skills to augment his fighting skills. All of his gear is enchanted by him and he always has a plentiful amount of poisons, weapon coatings, flask bombs, potions and balms. He is ready for almost any situation.

Gear: A set of high quality leather armor, gloves and boots concealed under a mage robe so as to deceive others. His steel dagger and longsword are proudly displayed on his person and are enchanted with lightning and paralysis runes to warn others. His armor is enchanted to fortify his strength and stamina and is comfortable to wear even under a robe.

History: As an apprentice, Peter was a handful. He was arrogant, prideful, a reckless risk-taker and one of the most extraordinary mages the Circle had ever seen. He plowed through every lesson his teachers could give him and casting spells seemed as natural to him as breathing. He was completely in his element and he walked the Circle halls as if he owned them. He was also charming and helpful, eager to share his knowledge with whoever would listen and always ready to help a friend in need. One day, this loyalty got him into trouble and would set him on a path that would bring him to tranquility.

His friend Jowan expressed concern that his harrowing hadn't happened yet. Peter told him not to worry and that it would happen when it happened but Jowan didn't drop the matter. He investigated First Enchanter Irving's office and found that he had signed an order for Jowan to undergo the Rite of Tranquility. When he told Peter this, things became much more serious. the Tranquils were worse than zombies and no one deserved such a fate. Jowan begged Peter to help him destroy his phylactery so he could escape and the Templars could not pursue. Peter never liked the Templars. He saw them as lapdogs of a bunch of grumpy old women who liked telling people how to live their lives. They were holding the mages back, making them feel like prisoners in their own tower. It wasn't fair treatment and it wasn't right. Peter offered Jowan his help without a second thought. Meeting Lily, the Sister Jowan was sneaking around with, only made things more exciting.

Getting into the basement was easy, finding and destroying both their phylacteries was easy. Peter was convinced that he and Jowan were smarter than the enchanters. Smarter than the Tranquils and certainly smarter than the Templars. They were wrong.

Greigor and Irving were waiting for them as soon as they emerged from the first floor. Peter was truly scared for the first time in his life and when Jowan used blood magic to escape, after he had sworn up and down that he had never so much as studied blood magic, Peter was shocked and betrayed. Greigor wanted to execute him then and there but Irving stopped him. Peter was responsible for aiding a blood mage but clearly wanted to make amends. More mages were needed at Ostagar and Peter would serve there as a form of atonement. Wynne was one of his most prominent mentors and agreed to look after him during the battle. She ended up saving his life when the battle was lost. Peter was traumatized by the bloodshed he had seen there and at the prospect of such a hopeful battle going so wrong. He was a different person when he came home with Wynn and when Uldred's rebellion began it only deepened his trauma. His mind was shattered and he became catatonic. The only way he could be saved was through the Rite of Tranquility. Two weeks prior Peter would have considered this a fate worse than death but now he only wanted to live and be whole again. He accepted the Rite and now serves the Circle happily, emotionless and without magic, but alive. Many member of the Circle have answered the call for an Exalted March into the Deep Roads and Peter marches with them out of duty.

Sickle

The Lucid Dream
    SIMUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Please tell me there's an open spot :D I've been wanting to RP with you again since the last RP fell through!

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Of course Sickle! Great to see you again! Post a CC. And thank you, I'm flattered :D

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
    hqdefault.jpg

Name:Kenzi Cousland
    Race:Human
    Class:Rogue
    Family: The Couslands of highever

APPEARANCE

Hair:blonde, short as to not block her vision
    Eyes:Brown
    Height:5'5
    Scars: a small scar from the right tip of her mouth to the side of her chin, a small slit on her shoulder from an arrow.

PERSONALITY:

The good:caring, warm, funny, clever
    The bad: stubborn, can let emotions get in the way from time to time, slow to trust, standoffish

GEAR/SKILLS: Her mother was one of the parents that believed that her child most know how to fight, no matter how. She taught Kenzi the ways and art of the bow. The nuisances were indeed only taught by someone who had picked up a bow before. She was always closer to her mom while her brother was closer to their father.

Her gear consists of a steel chest plate that has her family's crest, leather pants along with boots, a leather cuff on her shooting hand, cut leather gloves so the fingers are missing. But she has a second pair for cold weather. kenzi carries a unique wooden bow with her crest branded along with her family's initials surrounding he crest. For back up she carries two daggers sheathed in a X formation.

HISTORY: Kenzi was born into a noble family whose rule was fair and just. As far as she was concern was loved by her family's people. Schooling was of course the best they could afford, and encompassed family history, literal arts, mathematics, which she so dreadfully hated, religion, and some matters of nobility. Aldous was a good teacher as Kenzi was a good student. Her brother, Fergus, was another story. He would often take their father's story of war, heroism, and adventure to heart instead.

At the age of 23 news of the Blight had reached their home. She had walked in on her brother telling their parents that he was going on a scouting mission and he'll be back in no time. Kenzi protested that she wanted to come but her parents wouldn't allow it.

Night had come sleep along with it when out of nowhere a knock came out of nowhere and soon she saw her mother, who was in quite distress. Kenzi soon found out that the Howes, who her father fought along side with Rendon was attacking the castle. She fought to her father, who was dying while hiding from the Howe soldiers,

"Father, come on! We have to get out of here! Mother, come on!"
    "Kenz, you must go on. A pup has to grow up and hunt sometime. You've grown into such a beautiful woman. So strong, yet beautiful. Once a wolf has the scent of blood, all it does is track and then kill the prey."
    "By the maker Bryce, stop talking. I won't let you die alone. Go, lithe pup. We'll catch up,"

So she ran, never looking back and knowing her parents had been killed. One day shell get her revenge, but not yet. Ever since she's been working as a kind of paid bow to help the ones that were caught in the middle, but also working for more unsavory characters if need be. While she did learn from her mother, the rest of what she knows with her weapon is through practice.

Why would she join an exalted march? That is a good question. Look at the Dalish who suffered one. After all the elves did hep Andraste herself. How about the false stories spread. But there have been good marches like the march against Tevinter and to push back the Qunari. Maybe she'd join a just March. Make the world normal again. Even if it's until another world crisis.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts