OOC A Light Shining in Darkness (A Dragon Age Roleplay)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Sickle

The Lucid Dream
    Name: Ravenna Drevan

Race: Human

Nationality: Tevinter/Orlesian

Class: Arcane Warrior

Origins: Circle of Magi (White Spire in Orlais)

Looks: Stands 5' 9", long black hair often kept up in a bun with hair falling in front of ears (see Gear for better idea) pale skin and lithe, variety of makeup ranging from blues to greens to purples, a small Tevinter slave brand on the palm of the right hand, grey eyes with sparks of green.

Combat Preferences: A well versed mage, Ravenna is skilled with both a blade and Primal magic. Preferring to ignite her foes from afar with fire and lightning then finishing up with her elven blade. She will use blood magic if the situation calls for it.

Skills: Adept in the Primal Magic School, Templar inspired sword skills (no official training.) Expert in Blood Magic.

Gear:
    morrigan_da3_concept_02.jpg

(The middle set) An elegant design that takes from both Tevinter and Orlesian cultures. Arms are both reinforced with leather as is the chest piece that meets cloth that forms the bottom half. Twilight, a long enchanted elvish blade found in ancient ruins to the northern border of Orlais.

History: Ravenna was born to a Tevinter diplomat and an Orlesian nobleman's daughter during night of passionate love and overly expensive wine. During her first year on Thedas, she was taken to her father's home in the Tevinter Imperium's capital of Minrathous.

Ravenna's life in Minrathous was chaotic to say the least. Her father denied her rights as his daughter, declaring she was too much like her pig Orlesian mother. On her sixth birthday, her father declared that he had gotten sick of her and that she was to be sold into the slave market. Lucky enough of her, an aged widow took pity and bought her for a mere 10 gold. The widow, however, wasn't so lucky as one day she slit her hand on a knife. Ravenna had placed her hand on the her forearm in an attempt to calm her. The wound hissed and spat at her attempt to help. Ravenna deciding she wouldn't take the blame for her death; gathered all the coin she could and made her way out of Tevinter with a band of bards and merchants.

Ravenna, now ten, had remembered that her mother was nobility from her father's ranting. Through buying out merchants and other travelers, she made her way for the Orlesian capital city of Val Royeaux. Weeks of searching resulted in her finding her mother's home, however the greeting of open arms that she hoped for wasn't what she received. Her mother denied her as Tevinter trash and was no daughter of an Orlesian noble. Ravenna was horrified and angry at her mother's lies, she ignited the mansion with simple magic that she learned on the way to Orlais from Tevinter. The entire house was in flames before help arrived to put it out, no-one inside had survived.

Templars were called to the scene and she was taken to the White Spire were she would most likely spend the rest of her days. There she learned she an affinity for both Primal magic and swordplay, in secret she learned much about what she did to the widow and how she could perfected it under the Templar's noses. Though the invasion of Ferelden by the Darkspawn had caught her attention. When the Divine called Exalted March, she tossed her name in with other mages who would march into the Deep Roads.

Last edited:

♡Queen♡

Hi there! Are you accepting brand new members? I'm quite literate, I swear! :p
    Here's my CC:

Name: Maelira - goes by the name 'Lyra'

Race: Elven

Nationality: Dalish

Class: Rogue

Dialogue Colour: this

Looks:
    Her hair is light brown and just reaches her shoulder blades. Her eyes are large and slanted, green in colour, and framed with dark lashes. Her skin is very fair and dusted with freckles. She has Vallaslin; curly black tattoos decorating her chin, under her eyes, down her nose and across her forehead, the latter she likes to think resembles Halla horns. Her face is small and slightly rounded with prominent high cheekbones. Her ears are large and pointed. She has a scar across the left side of her bottom lip and jaw as well as another much smaller scar on the bridge of her nose. She is small in stature reaching about 4'11". Her body is toned from travel, battle and climbing. She has scars on her arms, back and torso, though they are usually hidden by her clothing.

Personality:
    Lyra is mostly friendly, though can can be distrustful of people and their intentions, especially humans. She has a thirst for knowledge and actively tries not to bombard people with questions about their culture and customs. She is quick to anger and quick to turn to violence. She is often blinded by her emotions and this can lead her to make stupid mistakes. Whilst she holds the Dalish and their beliefs highly, she keeps this to herself and would deny being Dalish at all if asked. She is dishonest and has few moral standards. She is not a very compassionate or kind person, and can sometimes struggle to view those she does not know well as little more than tools. She has a fascination for gold and other valuables.

Combat Preferences: Her primary weapon is a bow, though she is also capable with a pair of daggers. She is vicious and primal and loves the thrill of battle. She is very vulnerable to direct assault and so tries to twist battle to her favour with the use of poison, surprise attacks, climbing and stealth. She is fearless, arguably stupidly so, and is not afraid of putting her own life in danger to win a fight. She is often overlooked in battle due to her unintimidating appearance and she uses this to her advantage.

Skills: She is adept at creating potions, though prefers to purchase them when she can. Due to her small stature and weight she can fit in places where others cannot. She is a skilled hunter and tracker and an excellent climber.

Gear: She wears leather armour, though much prefers to be without it. She especially detests her leather boots, though understands the value of wearing armour in battle. Her bow and daggers are made from ironbark.

History:
    Maelira was born into a Dalish clan in Fereldan. Her clan was hostile to other races and thrived as little more than bandits preying on merchant caravans and travellers. Despite this, they still placed great value on tradition and belief and so she was raised with these deeply ingrained in her everyday life.

She flourished in this environment and her clan valued her contributions as she grew up. However an interest in the people that she stole from fostered within her, and she desired to know more about them and how they lived. She asked many questions, but her clan's knowledge regarding the people they stole from was limited and they discouraged her interest int hem. Not long after she received her Vallasin, the merchants who used the roads near where her clan dwelled were tired of their nuisance and fearful of the danger they posed so they pleaded with nobles who lived nearby to have them eradicated or at least pushed out of the area.

A group of mercenaries were hired to drive them out but Maelira's clan would not go down without a fight. She killed as many as she could, but the force was too strong. With most of her clan dead and the remaining scattered and fled from the area, Maelira thought she was destined to perish as well. However, the mercenaries saw her talent and offered the young elf a job. She agreed, more eagerly than she was proud of, and joined up with the people that killed her brothers and sisters. They told her that her name was too elven for work, and so she changed it and buried most of her clan's beliefs and teachings that had guided and formed her throughout her life.

Lyra spent the next few years completing contracts and travelling around Fereldan with the mercenaries. She enjoyed this life but despite this always had a longing to return to her old life in the forest, but there was nothing there for her anymore.

She formed close friendships with her fellow mercenaries and to her they became like a second family. When blight struck their contracts became more dangerous though the mercenaries were hungry for gold and not deterred. On a particularly dangerous job an encounter with darkspawn left most of the mercenaries dead. Lyra managed to flee, but hated herself for it and swore she would make up for what she saw as treachery. Again her family had been killed and scattered.She chose not to seek out the remaining mercenaries, instead choosing to kill as many of the darkspawn as she could alone.

Lyra expected that the end of the blight would mean the end of her fight against the darkspawn and a chance for a new beginning. However she found her desire for revenge was not sated. When she heard about the Exalted March into the Deep Roads it seemed to her like the perfect opportunity to shed more darkspawn blood. She doesn't care about the maker, or the dwarves, she just wants to kill as many darkspawn as she can.

Writing Sample:
    Two years. Two long years had passed since the blight and what had she done with them? Nothing. Her mercenary group had disbanded, each of its remaining members quietly moving on from what had happened. Lyra had found employment as a hunter for a noble and whilst she was paid well-enough, she found the job dull, and did not take enjoyment in cutting down animals for humans. Her employer was an arrogant old human, who wore robes made of the furs she harvested and jewels and diamonds that weighed him down when he walked.

"Have you heard- they're calling an Exalted March against the Darkspawn," she overheard one of the maids say to another as they gossiped in the kitchens.

Lyra sat up in her seat at one of the tables, taking a sip of ale from her mug as she listened with considerable interest. She knew of the Chantry's marches and the history of what they had done to her people, but this one would be different if it was against darkspawn.

"…Into the Deep Roads-"

"The underground passages?" Lyra interrupted the maids without a care of how they reacted; they were idle gossips to her but for once they were speaking of something of interest.

"Yes, knife-ear, why, thinking of joining?" One of them responded.

With an audible clang Lyra placed her mug back on the table and got to her feet, "Perhaps." Though she was vague in her reply, she had already decided. She would join up with these chantry-following people and 'march' into the Deep Roads, taking down as many of the darkspawn as she could. Before she left, there was one matter to deal with; her resignation.

She left the maids to their chatter and ventured through the manor in search of a particularly annoying human. She did not often enter it's luxury for although not prohibited to enter, it was clear she was not wanted there. She checked room after room in search of her target. Eventually she found him, hunched over a desk in the dim light of a study.

She cleared her throat at the door and he looked up at her with surprise. "I'm leaving this place," she began before he could say anything and added with sarcasm, "But it's been a pleasure."

He seemed annoyed, and remarked back with considerable malice, "I'll have to find a human to replace you, much more reliable, and prettier, too." It was barely a moment later that Lyra had buried an arrow in his face. He did not have much time to cry out before she drew another, and he was dead shortly after. Whilst she was certain the world was better off without him, she cursed her impulsiveness as she quickly fled the manor. She would have to find out more about the March.

Last edited:

Simus

An Excellent Site Member

Skyrimosity

I would like to "reserve" a spot with a Character Card to be made on Friday (because I cannot spend much time today, Wednesday, or Thursday on here)

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    You have a spot Sky. I'll make a cast list tonight. @TallestMouse24, I still need you to rework your character card based on the notes I made in the PM. @Sickle, your CC was awesome but there were some big spelling errors and missing words that made it difficult to read. Could you clean it up please?

Sickle

The Lucid Dream
    You have a spot Sky. I'll make a cast list tonight. @TallestMouse24, I still need you to rework your character card based on the notes I made in the PM. @Sickle, your CC was awesome but there were some big spelling errors and missing words that made it difficult to read. Could you clean it up please?
    No problem :p Thats what I get from coming home after work and drinking Moscato!

Simus

An Excellent Site Member

K I'm working on it now. When I finish I'll post it in the PM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Excellent. I ask that you proofread your work before posting again. You had several grammar mistakes and missing words that made your CC difficult to read.

Sickle

The Lucid Dream
    Made some slight changes and corrected issues. Tell me if there looks like there needs to be more work.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Okay Mouse, your card is readable now but there are many problems. Why would Lyra she join an Exalted March because her clan was killed by Templars? That doesn't make any sense. That would be a perfect reason for her to NOT join the March and start hunting Templars, which isn't a good idea anyway because she's a Blood Mage. She also needs another reason for going to the Circle. Whn Templars find Blood Mages they kill them. No discussion, end of story. They don't have any reason to slaughter Dalish unless they have clear evedance that those Dalish practice or harbor someone who practices Blood Magic. Maybe her clan practices an old form of Blood Magic from Arlathan and draws the attention of the Templars, who take her to the Circle to learn "proper" magic. Maybe Lyra escapes and finds her clan rounded up and killed by Darkspawn and she joins the March out of vengeance. She'd have serious reservations against working with Templars but would rather work with them than place Darkspawn alone. The Templars would have no problem sending a malificar to her death in the Deep Roads so they let her fight.

smilecat

Ok I have an idea. I hope you don't mind me joining.

Just to let you know of my rp experience I've done plenty of RL rps (D&D and The old World of Darkness by Whitewolf mostly). However I have done very little online stuff. I've been studying up on it good long before I made an account ( The RPing was half the reason I made an account.) I hope that's a good enough.

Name: Selana

Race: Human

Class: Mage

Color: This

Origin: Circle of Magi, Fereldan.

Personality: Erratic. Unpredictable. Some might even say crazy. This is the effect of years of abuse. (I'll go into why she's like this in her backstory). Sometimes she's a perfect little angel. Other times she acts like a raging lunatic. And everything in between.

Appearence: Brown hair kept in a messy ponytail. Pale skin and a multitude of freckles. She's small and slim and weak looking. She looks more like 14 or 15. Flat chested.

Gear: She has the ordinary, metal staff of all circle mages. Plain blue robes and shoes.

Skills: (I don't think this counts as godding but I would like to clear it with you just in case.) She's not at all strong and not that fast. Her main power is her spells. However her castings are much like her personality. Erratic. She can go from hardly being able to cast the simplest spell to being able to cast high level spells she didn't even know existed (To clear up any confusion here, I won't ever have her use anything ridiculously powerful.)

Backround: For the first five years of her life her parents abused her for being a mage. Eventually they handed her in to the Templars, claiming that they had just discovered her powers. She was a feisty spirit and fought back against the Templars and they abused her worse than her parents had. Slowly she became more and more erratic. The Templars wanted to kill her during her harrowing immediately, but the First Enchanter stopped them long enough for her to complete the ritual.

When the Exalted March was called she begged to go with. The Templars decided that they would let her. After all, she would no longer be their burden if she went. She might even die.

Ok I REALLY hope I can join this rp. Here's my sample.

"Please let me go" Selana begged the Templars. Tears ran down her face. "Please. I'll be the best darkspawn killer ever if you let me go. Please!"

"No. Said the Templars. "We will not let you join up."

"Then I'll burn this whole place to the ground!" Selana screamed. "Or freeze it. Or something!"

The Templar exchanged glances before replying. "No."

Selana shrieked. Casting a spell, she shattered all the windows in the room. "You will let me go!"

The Templar were uneasy. "Why do you want to go? It's just gonna be a bunch a people killing darkspawn"

This made Selana think. She didn't know why she wanted to go. Perhaps to defy authority. Perhaps she wanted freedom. Perhaps she was just bored.

It was all of these thing, yet none of them.She pondered for a moment.

"I don't know. I just want to go. So let me go."

The Templars sighed. "We suppose. Go ahead. You'll die anyway."

"Oh thank you!" Selana ran down the hall to tell everyone.

I wasn't sure what color for NPCs (Not sure which gray to choose.) so I just kept the Templars default. I hope I can join.

Now I'm going to read all of the OOC thread.

Last edited:

smilecat

Oh and I was a derp and forgot something vital to her personality.

Her "craziness" is only half sincere. The other half is an act. It's her way of distancing herself from and tolerating the abuse.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Sure Snilecat, you can join. Considering I'm playing a Tranquil who is also from the Circle in Ferelden we could travel together. Perhaps Peter, my character, was assigned to look after Selana. Make sure she doesn't hurt herself or anyone she's not supposed to. A half-crazed teenage girl who is also a powerful Mage and a completely emotionless young man with no magic whatsoever can only lead to merriment!

smilecat

Yeah that makes sense.

It will certainly be interesting to see are characters contrast. I'm exited, that's for sure.

smilecat

Oh and since we have six people now (Assuming I counted correctly) when will we be starting the rp?

I don't mean to a be naggy, just curious.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts