A call for help to anyone that knows scripting

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Joebenz

Hello,
The first time i played skyrim, i was dissapointed to see zero spells about shadow magic or dark magic.
The only dark magic ingame is the conjuration. It's cool but it only summons things.
For a very long time i wanted to create a mod that adds dark magic spells. And now i'm doing it.
I will also add custom new effects for each spell with completely new sounds.

The branch of spells i intend to make are:
- Chaos Fire Magic (green fire)
- Shadow Magic
- Death Frost Magic

I will also add new dungeons with backstories behind them and the reason for these dark spells to exist :)

I can use the creation kit easely but i don't know a single thing about scripting.
The effects i would like to use on some spells are the following:

- a script to trigger certain effects for exemple 20% chance on each hit to freeze target or stagger or fear etc
- a chance on each hit to to reduce magicka cost of 30% for 10sec
- a chance to cast a second time the same spell without magicka cost.
- some fire spells that spreads on the ground like the mod fire and ice overhaul.
- And finally a bomb type of spell. Cast it on the enemy, for 10sec it dots him. After those 10sec, it explodes and infect nearby enemies with the same spell, yes it could cause a chain reaction to a pack of mobs which is awesome.

So if anyone can point me to the right direction, some tutorials or videos that explains at least one of those effects etc.. i would be eternally grateful

TheNatural

This is a huge question, and would require a huge response, I would recommend hitting up reddit and just dive into youtube tutorials. It isn't especially hard to do, but it is just as easy to screw up and end up with scripts that run wild and complete annihilate savegames. The hardest part of creating mods like the ones you are describing is not actually creating them, but making them clean and usable in the long term. That is what separates the the average joe from folks like Chesko and Mike Hancho.

Joebenz

I know that scripts can have a negative impact on save games on the long run. But i've searched a bit and found a link on google about using conditions other than scripts and it is exactly what i search for. The spells that i will be making will mostly have on-hit-chances of effects to proc. Except for the bomb spell which i think there is no other way around than scripting.
But with what is said in this link, i may not have to use scripts. Only conditions.
I haven't tested out yet. I'll keep informed of any results.

Edit:
It worked. The "GetRandomPercent" conditions seems to work when you want it to fear or stagger.
But it doesn't work when you want it to cast a beneficial spell (magicka cost reduced for X amount of time etc)

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts