1.5 Patch Smithing Power-leveling?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ThatArgonian

Not saying it was aliens... But it was aliens
How do I power-level my smithing now with the new update? It takes me 10 iron daggers to boost up my smithing skill. Is there any new way to do it? My elven armor isn't doing so well anymore so I want to try to get it up to 100 for dragonscale armor as I have an abundance of dragon scales. Any suggestions?

ThatArgonian

Will do. Now that you posted you'll probably receive the answer in an alert.

Demented_Demon

Full time badass
i think the point of them patching it in new update was to stop it from happening, i dont think that there is a way to do it now. Imo they shouldn't of patched it, it wasn't doing any harm and there is notheing wrong with single player cheeting as long as it doesn't affact anyone elses experiance.

ThatArgonian

But that's restricting people who don't want to smith stuff 24/7. Some people just want to spend an hour leveling their smithing so they can get to adventuring and fighting. They should have left it. I'm like at level 32 smithing on my new character and I can barely raise it to get better light armor and better bows.

Demented_Demon

Full time badass
I know, if people dont want to spend houres doning this stuff they shouldn't have to. I dont see why there arn't cheets on most or all single player games. If people choose to speed through things, especially something as dull as smithing, they should have the freedom to do so. I dont understand why smithing has levels at all, its nott there for enjoyment perposes, and to get the best wepons/armor you need things like dragon scales, ebony, daedra hearts and other hard to get items, so its not there to stop low leveled people from getting overpowered armor.

sorry about the rant....

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I think part of the reason they patched it was because players new to the game leveled up too quickly using this mechanic and weren't prepared to actually fight higher leveled mobs. A new player having an 80+ smithing with a level 20 attack skill isn't a good thing.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
But that's restricting people who don't want to smith stuff 24/7.
I fail to see the problem. It was never a reasonable expectation to begin with. None of the other skills' leveling mechanics work this way except for Enchanting but that's mitigated by the cost of filled soul gems and the cost and time it takes to fill empty ones. In short, while you can power level skills in general, nothing power leveled as fast as forging iron daggers did with Smithing. Even by power leveling standards it was a bit ridiculous.

For leveling Smithing skill everything is tied to item value now. The way to level effectively is to make jewelry. You can get the raw materials for rings and necklaces by buying and mining iron ore and using the Transmute spell to convert them into silver and gold ore and smelting them into silver and gold ingots. Always use gems you find to make jewelry (i.e. never sell them by themselves). Another way to level effectively is to improve all weapon and armor loot before selling it.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
buy black smith potions or elixrs, and use those before you smith, and you will improve your armor ratings.

Expensive at first, but still worth it.

DWFII

For leveling Smithing skill everything is tied to item value now. The way to level effectively is to make jewelry. You can get the raw materials for rings and necklaces by buying and mining iron ore and using the Transmute spell to convert them into silver and gold ore and smelting them into silver and gold ingots. Always use gems you find to make jewelry (i.e. never sell them by themselves). Another way to level effectively is to improve all weapon and armor loot before selling it.

Is that new with the patch? I thought I had read somewhere that making jewelry didn't help your smithing skill at all?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I'm sorry, but what you read is incorrect. As Dagmar stated
to level effectively is to make jewellery
And she is correct too.

DWFII

I'm sorry, but what you read is incorrect. As Dagmar stated

And she is correct too.
I'm glad to know that. I may be completely mistaken in my recall but it never did make sense to me...why have the option to craft jewelry (and silver and gold ingots) if it wasn't going to help?

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
This says it all...........
For levelling Smithing skill everything is tied to item value now. The way to level effectively is to make jewellery. You can get the raw materials for rings and necklaces by buying and mining iron ore and using the Transmute spell to convert them into silver and gold ore and smelting them into silver and gold ingots. Always use gems you find to make jewellery (i.e. never sell them by themselves). Another way to level effectively is to improve all weapon and armor loot before selling it.

Now, to quote an old commercial “You have to do it the old-fashioned way: you have to earn it”

damon2121

A really good way I use to level up smithing is to explore dwarven ruins and collect a bunch of dwarven metal (having a follower is good for this) then later making a bunch of Dwarven Bows they require 1 dwarven metal ingot and 1 iron ingot. Just buy the iron from a blacksmith.

xsneakyxsimx

A really good way I use to level up smithing is to explore dwarven ruins and collect a bunch of dwarven metal (having a follower is good for this) then later making a bunch of Dwarven Bows they require 1 dwarven metal ingot and 1 iron ingot. Just buy the iron from a blacksmith.

Correction: 2 Dwarven Ingots and 1 Iron Ingot.

What Bethesda basically did was, they made smithing level up like alchemy. Thus, the more valuable something you craft is, the higher your smithing will go up.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts