- ESO Wins ‘Great MMO Faceoff’ Newbie Category ESO has had a rockier year than many anticipated, with a lot of early players jumping ship and the promised console version being delayed until 2015.
But here’s some good news. The game still managed to eke out a win as the best new MMO in an online poll.
ESO beat Funcom’s The Secret World in the “Newbies” category of MMORPG.com’s “The Great MMO Faceoff” poll semi-finals. ESO just squeaked out a victory, beating the more obscure horror MMO game 51.3 to 48.7 percent. That means that along the way it was also judged better than other new entries like ArcheAge, Wildstar ...
- Final Fantasy XV Trailer Introduces Us to New Female Cid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQqiiZkZv3Q
As far as I’ve been able to tell so far, Final Fantasy XV will be about four bros driving around in a sweet car and broing it up on a road-trip occasionally punctuated by fights.
This new trailer from the weekend’s Jump Festa event in Japan actually confirms that, yes, this is the plot of Final Fantasy XV. But it gives some background for why they’re on the roadtrip in the first place, which is a looming war.
We also get a look at this game’s version of Cid, the recurring character that’s popped up in different forms in almost every Final ...
- Find Out What Was Cut From the Original Fallout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM_f9ixAm1g
This fun new video from DidYouKnowGaming gives us an overview of all of the things that were left on the cutting room floor when designing the original Fallout, the groundbreaking apocalyptic RPG.
Much of the cut content revolved around the game’s early use of the GURPS (Generic Universal RolePlaying) system, which the nerdier among you may remember from pen and paper role-playing sessions in musty basements. GURPS was abandoned early in development after a dispute about the game’s violence and replaced with Fallout’s iconic SPECIAL system, but a few elements from it made it into an early demo.
The biggest piece of ...
- ESO Live Reveals Champion System https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74RNVpzXbA8
Hey, we can’t all be at our computers whenever a live-stream is on. That’s why nice people like Shawn Brunelle capture important streams like ESO Live, ZeniMax’s regular livestream of what’s coming up in ESO.
This ESO Live Livestream breaks down the new Champion System that will be coming to the game soon in the 1.6 update, a signficant update the team teases as “almost like ESO 2.0.”
If watching a two hour video is too much, other nice people at Tamriel Foundry have a transcript of the whole thing prepared. Here’s how ZeniMax developer Maria Aliprando describes the genesis of ...
- Meet Final Fantasy Type-0 HD’s ‘Traitors of Orience’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya90P3vxwvQ
I have to admire Square Enix’s commitment to world-building in its latest pair of trailers for Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.
It’d be easy to just show some glamor shots of this rezzed-up PSP title, but instead we have what’s styled as a “public enemies” propaganda broadcast from the game’s government, accusing the game’s heroes of treason. This trailer is styled as the government’s response to an earlier trailer that showed the protagonists in a positive light.
There’s a bunch of stuff about a war and running around and mechs in these trailers, too, with some incredibly melodramatic, out-of-context dialogue. Maybe it’ll be ...
- Ciri Will Be Second Playable Character in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtEO2xZ7BzQ
Looks like Geralt won’t be tackling his new adventure alone in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. CD Projekt RED has revealed the game’s second playable character, Ciri.
This is how Ciri is described in the announcement press release:
Ciri, the ashen-haired girl from an ancient prophecy, is a descendant in a long lost elven blood lineage. The girl is a living and highly volatile weapon capable of both destroying and healing the fragile world she currently inhabits. Emotionally connected to Geralt, the girl is pursued by the titular Wild Hunt, a cavalcade of ghastly riders capable of unspeakable destruction, and by the ...
- Show Your Respect For the Daedra With Shrine of Malacath Statue Malacath is “the god of curses, the betrayed and ostracized.” So of course he’ll make a fine mantle piece for your tastefully decorated home.
This new Skyrim-inspired statue from Gaming Heads captures the outsider Daedric Lord in all his terrible glory. The statue is 15 inches tall and will set you back $199 for a standard gray polystone edition. For $209.99 you can class things up considerably, adding a faux-bronze finish to the statue.
You can find out more here at Gaming Heads.
- ZeniMax Encourages ESO Players to Try Undaunted Daily Quests If all you know about Undaunted quests in ESO is that some players get scary monster masks from them, ZeniMax wants to change that. It has produced a guide to help those who haven’t tried the undaunted quests jump in.
The guide explains how to sign up for the Undaunted quests, only available to level 45 and up characters, which involves signing a pledge to take on tough foes. There are two ranks for the pledges, the standard that open up at level 45 and the Veteran Rank pledges that are only available at Veteran Rank I.
And it also goes into ...
- Square Enix Confirms FFX/X-2 HD Remaster Coming to PS4 After trolling PlayStation Experience attendees over the weekend with a big Final Fantasy VII reveal that just turned out to be a port for PS4, not the HD remake nerds have long dreamed of, Square Enix is now on a porting roll.
The company has today confirmed rumors that it will be releasing the remastered versions of Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 HD on PS4 as well. There’s no indication that these will be anything other than the HD versions we’ve already seen on PS3 and Vita, though.
Square Enix also released pricing for its PS4 ports. FFVII, in all ...
- Dragon Age: Inquisition Patches Out Awkward Silences, Gender Confusion and Other Bugs Yesterday, BioWare released a patch for Dragon Age: Inquisition that was intended to fix one of the more annoying bugs in the game.
When you get the bug instead of having a snappy conversation and moving on to their next line the other player says their line and looks soulfully into your eyes, waiting for a response that you can’t make until the awkward silence is just too, too much. Usually you have to skip a line of dialogue to get out of it.
The update also patches some more hilarious bugs dealing with gender, where at times the game will think ...