Harvest Moon: Skytree Village was announced today by Natsume for the Nintendo 3DS. Natsume made the announcement ahead of E3 with the intent of going into greater detail during the show. We don’t have a trailer for you yet, but we do have THIS: there’s a goat in the game. The other bullet points provided by the company are familiar:
- Play as a boy or a girl, woo bachelorettes and bachelors, and start a family!
- Completely new story with tons of interesting new characters.
- New crops and flowers to discover.
- New fishing mechanics: expand waterways and catch rarer fish.
- A full town with many residents, each with their own personalities and quirks.
If it seems like Harvest Moon doesn’t show up as frequently as it used to, there’s a reason: Natsume fired the original developers, Marvelous Entertainment, and started creating new Harvest Moons in-house. They’ve been slower at the job. This is their third attempt, and one wonders in the wake of Stardew Valley’s runaway success if they have what it takes to compete. Do they even know there’s competition now?
We’ll see what they’re bringing to the farm once E3 rolls around. The release date for Harvest Moon: Skytree Village hasn’t been revealed, but is expected to come out before 2016 closes.