Bethesda has issued an updated version of Far Harbor, Fallout 4’s new DLC expansion, on PS4. However, for unexplained and mysterious reasons, it can’t be applied via normal means.
The main issue appears to be performance — on Playstation 4, Far Harbor runs at a sluggish 20FPS at any area that contains lots of volumetric fog to render. This update will fix that problem, but it doesn’t just install itself. Here are the steps, courtesy of Bethesda:
- Confirm Fallout 4 is not running. Highlight Fallout 4 in your PS4 dashboard, press Options, and select Close Application to ensure Fallout 4 is not running minimized.
- Select Related Items. You’ll find this under the Fallout 4 icon in the PS4 dashboard.
- Select My Add-Ons.
- Navigate to the Download Arrow next to Far Harbor and select it.
- You should see a notice that Far Harbor has been Added to Downloads.
- Wait for the downloadable content to finish downloading and installing before starting Fallout 4.
Bethesda says if this doesn’t work you’ll have to reinstall the entirety of Fallout 4. Either that or live with the slowdown.