Review I just don't get what people like about this game.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get why people constantly make fun of D&D (which i play), but they desire a game just like it. i am 100% serious, I know for a fact, that the people who play skyrim, would more prefer dungeons and dragons like me.

This would free the GOTY for something that is actually entertaining. The linearity of this game, considering it is made in 2011, is absolutely ridiculous.

I am not trying to come off very rude, but I just don't see an appeal for this game other than an entertainment value you could better get from somewhere else. This entire game is like one big meme, and I really do wish it would just die out.

So, I am open to any convincing arguments otherwise, or questions so I could explain myself better.

TL;DR: what makes this game interesting? Whatever it is, i am not seeing it.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Linear???? I'm level 30 and I'm only 1/3rd of the way through the main quest line. Hell, you could easily blow 100+ hours on doing nothing main quest based.

Sure you could, but all the quests are boring and dull. This might just be my expertise in the RPG genre, but these quests are so easy, it just isn't right for it to take you 100 hours. One of the speed runners of the game, beat it in 1 hour and 40 something minutes, main quest line only.

Easy main quest line, easy side quests, and easy gameplay. Maybe this game is popular because it is a great entry rpg.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Hmmm I've got that feeling like someone just baited a hook and I had a nibble ;) how did I not see that? LoL.

You, my friend, need to play Morrowind.
Played it a long time ago. I used to play it when my D&D buddies couldn't get together. The fact that the game became more than just an alternative to some people is why i made this thread. Talk about riding previous successes.

redrkt

Premium Member
Played it a long time ago. I used to play it when my D&D buddies couldn't get together. The fact that the game became more than just an alternative to some people is why i made this thread. Talk about riding previous successes.

If you don't like it...... don't play it, but to come on here and trash it just because you don't enjoy the game is ludicris

junta

Been playing d&d since the 80's and I know that an RPG is not dependent on the time spent on the quest itself, but the time spent playing the role of the character. Determining the quality of an RPG by the length and 'ease' of quests is what one does for action games, not rpg's. Its sad that, over the years, action games have been classified as rpg's thus giving people a wrong expectation to what an RPG is truly about.

I won't judge ones preference in games, but saying that an RPG is of less value based on the game play of another genre is strange.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
If you don't like it...... don't play it, but to come on here and trash it just because you don't enjoy the game is ludicris

Absolutely this. Calling Skyrim "linear" is just plain and simple not true. It's an open world that does not force you to do anything.

As much as I'm tired of Su8tle trolling or posting spam, I agree with him here. This sounds like some sort of minor trolling to me.

I did laugh at the "dungeons and dragons" thing, even if all those "dungeons" in Skyrim are actually and truly burial crypts and Dwemer ruins. The only true dungeons are the ones under places like Blue Palace and Dragonsreach.

Ironclad

Cool, i'm an '80s RPGer too!
D & D was a great game that faded after the stupid revisions, i'm talking from the crappy Unearthed Arcana on - the 2nd edition was blighted by the pressure from Xtain groups, and what followed looks like a bunch of arse. Anyway, a true role-player would have Runequest and maybe even Role Master in his/her library.. :p

See. We are not all DnD haters, pal. Some of us are legendary RPGers who fondly remember our days as a paladin or fighter/thief. ;)

Pixels may not be equal to pen n paper, but they are convenient, fun and when you have little time for epic get-togethers these video games fill the slot. I mean, blimey, I played a game that lasted well over a year!!! My paladin got nailed by vampires in the end.. I did kill Orcus however, but he Gated multiple vamps.

I hope you stick around buddy, we're an ok bunch. But if you are a hit n run type, try not to step on your d4 on your way out. LMAO

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
So let me get this straight you played TES before and saw you didnt like it but yet you bought Skyrim... Something doesnt add up. lol youre doing this to yourself. and Not all games are made for everyone I will never play a D&D game fro the sterotype it has I love video games but im not that big of a nerd lol no offense... okay mabye a little.. anyway All im saying is some games are for some ppl while others are for others and this is a clear example of that
Note: I ment no offense to any D&D players.

Happy Hunting freinds

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
As much as I'm tired of Su8tle trolling or posting spam, I agree with him here. This sounds like some sort of minor trolling to me.

Now now, no need to resort to offending other contributing members here. Just because we had one little disagreement once, doesn't mean you should harbor a grudge against that person forever. I've moved on, I suggest you should too. It's the mature thing to do. And no, I didn't mean to rhyme those last two sentences.

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
Now now, no need to resort to offending other contributing members here. Just because we had one little disagreement once, doesn't mean you should harbor a grudge against that person forever. I've moved on, I suggest you should too. It's the mature thing to do. And no, I didn't mean to rhyme those last two sentences.
Su8tle just won avatar of the year award

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Oh ok, yeah I'll take that. I really dislike that guy. He's either a brilliant troll or actually has a mental impairment, I just can tell which yet.

So to all the D&D players, that's pretty cool and nice to know.
Absolutely this. Calling Skyrim "linear" is just plain and simple not true. It's an open world that does not force you to do anything.

I did laugh at the "dungeons and dragons" thing, even if all those "dungeons" in Skyrim are actually and truly burial crypts and Dwemer ruins. The only true dungeons are the ones under places like Blue Palace and Dragonsreach.
Are you laughing at me for playing D&D? That seems extremely polar to all the other nice people, yet you account seems more decorated.

Also, the dungeons and quests all seem so juxtaposed... So parallel it is like riding a roller coaster- from what i saw.

I don't really have the game, nor have I ever played it. So I see where all the D&D fans are coming from entertainment value, but I would rather sit through the lame new stuff than water myself down.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Nice way to take my words out of context and twist them.

I found it amusing that you mentioned Dungeons and Dragons because in Skyrim, burial crypts and the like are referred to as dungeons, and there's also dragons in the game. See? Dungeons and dragons. Get it?

Nice way to take my words out of context and twist them.

I found it amusing that you mentioned Dungeons and Dragons because in Skyrim, burial crypts and the like are referred to as dungeons, and there's also dragons in the game. See? Dungeons and dragons. Get it?
Oh... That's just general humor... Not a very good joke anyway.

How is it you become a writer on this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts