NPC's Attacking each other for dropped items

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JDizzleAUS

In Riften I dropped several worthless items around the market. As soon as I did everyone nearby flocked around and started scavenging. Next thing I know Mjoll the Lioness starts arguring with another merchant (dark elf who sells food) about who deserves some item. Mjoll then readies her fists and starts attacking the woman. Then her follower (some prick) pulls a knife on the woman and Mjoll herself wields her Battlaxe and kills her.

I was pissed because I lost a merchant.

Anyway maybe this is a regular event. I've just never seen it before and I have 400 hours played.

Looked it up on Youtube and wiki, couldn't find.

Jeff the DragonBorn

I can tell you a few times I have dropped unwanted stuff in a city and if a guard saw me he said something and maybe even put it back in my inventory

JDizzleAUS

Also known as radiant AI, such features were announced prior to the game launch just fyi.

Yeah but on this level? I've just never experienced something like this before and I drop a ton of items.

3v3r

I have scale-itch... Don't ask how I got it.
Yeah supposed to happen. You can also get complaints of littering, get the item handed back, they will even ask if your done using armor you have dropped.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Have tried to trigger this in a couple of inns, no success yet, I even used a flawless diamond!

I do this in bandit forts with garnets... never have to fight

You drop the garnet after they've seen you, or do you somehow sneak nearby and drop it without being seen?

Evina

I had a similar thing happen, also in Riften I dropped some stuff and a beggar came and asked me if she can keep them.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I did this in the Bee and Barb in Riften during the busy dinner hour... dropped a few cheese wheels on the ground and that one guy who lost his daughter, killed one of the others with his Broadsword.

.... my how quickly things escalate!

Kuurus

I did this in the Bee and Barb in Riften during the busy dinner hour... dropped a few cheese wheels on the ground and that one guy who lost his daughter, killed one of the others with his Broadsword.

.... my how quickly things escalate!
I couldn't stop laughing just at the thought of "cheese wheel" and "broadsword" somehow being in the same sentence.

Imagine what they would do if you dropped some KFC...

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
This happened to me, too. The people of Riften sure are prone to insane fits of violence. I dropped a boiled creme treat in the middle of the marketplace and watched the merchants stab each other to death over it. I guess their sweet tooth must've really been aching! Needless to say I reloaded.. didn't want to lose 2 good sources of revenue.

There was also a random, unscripted event where an Imperial courier made the mistake of entering the city. He was immediately chased down the street and battered by the guards. He tried to escape through the main gate, but the guards surrounded him right outside the city and killed him. I guess they hadn't heard the expression, "don't shoot the messenger".. or as in this case, "don't beat the messenger to death with a warhammer".

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Ah the innocence of childhood. I was dropping silver ore that I had transmuted from iron ore to the ground by the Smelter at War Maidens so I could gather up a bunch to make silver ingots when little Braith ran up, scooped them all up and handed them to me saying that I must have dropped them. :)

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.

Gehenna

Dazed & Confused
I've seen them complain about littering, ask for the things you drop and hand stuff back but I've never seen them fight over dropped stuff. (Could be because I carry around a "bag of trash" added from a mod and toss unwanted junk in there for quick cash.) I shall endeavor to be a litterbug more often. :p

Edit: Wow, they do fight over items. Brand-Shei, Mjoll and Marise are the top offenders. It's too bad they want my stuff so bad they're willing to kill for it.

Neriad13

Premium Member
For some reason it's always Indaryn and Vulwulf Snow-Shod going at it in my games. And Indaryn's always the one who bites the dust - that nasty dwarven sword of Vulwulf's lays him to waste pretty fast. However, the Snow-Shods are well-off and Indaryn's got a good job at the meadery. Why they'd kill each other over a cabbage is a mystery to me.