fortify smithing gear not working??

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
so last night i used a blacksmith elixer and improved my weapons and armor. my 2 swords base was 94 but i realized i forgot to put on my 4 pieces of fortify smithing gear. so i reloaded and did it again with my gear on and a blacksmith elixer down the hatch my base damage for my 2 swords was only 93? wtf?

so i just improved my 2 swords with only the blacksmith elixer and it went up to 94. i did it again with only the gear on and it dropped down to 74? this is really annoying the hell out of me!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
so i just improved my 2 swords with only the blacksmith elixer and it went up to 94. i did it again with only the gear on and it dropped down to 74? this is really annoying the hell out of me!
I don't find the gear nearly as effective as the potions myself. I do a lot of smithing but I've never had the numbers go down. 94 is pretty good if it's a one handed though. Are you smithing perked up yet?

Daelon DuLac

my smithing is at 100 and the only perks i don't have on is the glass smithing and dragon armor.
Odd. I had something similar happen when I tried redoing it when I used a prior save. I don't know why. I have also found that, if I try to improve more than once on the same armor/weapon in a 48 hour period I often get some weird results. Example: Ebony shield 1: perked to 85. Had forgotten to enchant so went back (I know I didn't have too) to a prior save and this time I only got an 82 (same accouptements); Example 2: Improved great sword from 81 to 120. Realized I hadn't taken a potion or used my gear so put it on and went back to improve again. Nothing - not even an option. Came back 48 game hours later to the same forge with gear and it let me perk it up to 168. Skyrim has some weird stuff in it.

Adam Warlock

try removing gear and re-equip .
sometimes that helps me.
then check your active effects to see if gear is functioning properly

i equip all my gear and in active effects it all says it's working but they all say fine clothes. if im only wearing the ring is still says fine clothes. i don't know if thats normal or not

ok now with only gear it goes up to 74 but with only the blacksmith elixer it only goes up to 66. when i improve with only gear and i put my fortify one handed ring it goes up to 105. awhile ago i only did the blacksmith elixer and when i put on my fortify one handed ring it went from 94 to 133 or something close to that. im lost.

Daelon DuLac

ok now with only gear it goes up to 74 but with only the blacksmith elixer it only goes up to 66. when i improve with only gear and i put my fortify one handed ring it goes up to 105. awhile ago i only did the blacksmith elixer and when i put on my fortify one handed ring it went from 94 to over 105. im lost.
I think there's a limit as to the % you can improve. We have a couple of people out there in the forums that are experts on this.
I don't know if this will help, but here's what I found on the wiki on smithing & fortifying smithing: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Smithing

Here's another interesting one: http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/Smithing

i just said the hell with it and improved my weapons and armor while wearing the gear and taking the blacksmith elixer. i got tired of the numbers changing.

Daelon DuLac

i have the firey soul trap on one of my daedra swords can i put another enchantment on that weapon or no?
Not if it's already enchanted or if it's after you've already enchanted it (you need the double enchant perk). In other words, you can't add an enchantment to an already enchanted weapon (this is coming from a console perspective - there may be a mod out there for the PC, but I don't know those).

Daelon DuLac

but if i do get the double enchantment perk i could?
Only on something that is not already enchanted (a blank). Once something is enchanted it cannot be changed (except to learn the enchantment of course and that doesn't work on all items).

ohh ok. so i have to craft 2 more daedra swords then enchant them i got it now. so if i do that then i could put firey soul trap and something else on one weapon right?

Daelon DuLac

ohh ok. so i have to craft 2 more daedra swords then enchant them i got it now. so if i do that then i could put firey soul trap and something else on one weapon right?
Exactly! I have 2 daedrics that I use regularly with Fire & Ice on one and Fire & Shock on the other. I do have soul trap on both a bow and on a 2 handed. In my experience, a one handed really isn't the best thing for a soul trap unless it's a dagger you're using for backstabs or something that deals maximum damage (well over 100) per strike, since the highest soul trap I've been able to get has been 12 seconds. Of course, you just gave me a thought. Since I use 2 daedrics that do 108 each, if I enchanted the two of them with soul trap, since I like to dual wield in many situations, I could easily do enough damage in under 12 seconds.

personally I prefer my bow with soul trap since it makes it easier to get the grand and great souls I need regularly with a minimum of fuss and, as I run cross country, I can do a lot of hunting to collect commons and lessers as well (I use those for recharges). Of course, as I pointed out in a different string, at some point you just have way too many filled soul gems so I always keep a backup set of regular weapons as well. By the way, a bow is a great way to go if you like to fill black soul gems as well. I filled about 10 of them in just under 3 minutes when I wiped out a Legion camp last night. Easy peesy.

all you have to do is put 1 sec on the soul trap because it takes the soul on the blow that kills the enemy. (if the soul trap weapon is used on the last blow of course)

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !

I don’t use any blacksmith elixir or potion. I just enchanted one single item ( I do prefer a ring ) with the fortify smithing and I wear it anytime I want to increase my weapon damage. I did what you did but I found that my new way is better than the other. When I had 4 items, they were enchanted to 25 or close to I guess; now I do have only one ring enchanted with fortify smithing to almost 700 so anytime I wear it, the damage of my weapon goes up to approximately 400 +.
Of course this is cheating but hey, alchemy, enchanting and smithing are for you to use as you please, so it is up to you how far do you want to go with them and you can balance out playing expert - master to make your game a bit more difficult. Just my 2 cents ... ;)

orca45

i have the firey soul trap on one of my daedra swords can i put another enchantment on that weapon or no?

If you have the top perk in your enchanting skill tree, yes you could, otherwise only one. ;)

orca45

Regarding soul trap, what I do is to add that enchantment ONLY when I starting a new game because you need filled soul gems for later use. Once I get to the level that I like, and have enough alchemy ingredients and Grand Soul Gems filled with Grand Souls, I don’t add the soul trap to any weapon. If still need to soul trap, then I use my spell.
Remember that only mammoth will give you a Grand Soul to fill your Grand Soul Gems. ;)