Next-gen Xbox pushes us all a little closer to totalitarian rule

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

theoduck

If persimmons approach, Khajiit will smell them.

theoduck

Oh great another one of those 'console users are stupid threads'.

Learn to report on the topic without insulting people.
Nobody said you are stupid.

Lots of intelligent people get taken in by advertising.

theoduck

***When I say "PC" in this response, I mean a "personal computer" running any operating system (Win/Mac/Linux/etc...).***

There is no implied insult in my remarks. None whatsoever. I am not "fluffing with you" or "pulling your chain." This is not a "less filling/tastes great" argument.

I find it troubling that I cannot seem to go a day without seeing some sort of advertising or "writing" about the "death of the PC" or something similar. My OP asserts that PC "alternatives" like consoles and smartphones are being relentlessly pushed on the public for a simple reason:

Big Brother cannot watch you on a PC if you know how to use one. It seems like every time a new Xbox/iPhone/etc... comes out, I get to read all about the nifty new ways that the device can monitor or restrict the rights of the consumer who purchased it.

You can't make anything on a console or a smartphone. That's why the three (3) companies who own over 90% of the American media are trying to get PCs out of people's paws. PCs played a large role in the ongoing revolutions in countries like Egypt and Iceland. PCs played a large role in ensuring that the 2012 US election was not stolen (as the 2000 and 2004 elections were). We have our first non-white President largely because of PCs.

PCs are a threat to a handful of guys who need 3 gold-plated swimming pools because one isn't enough, so now -- in the case of the article I posted -- they need to shut down an entire market because they aren't getting a cut.

You can get your information wherever you want on a PC. Consoles/Smartphones allow to get your information wherever its creators want you to get your information.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
A console is meant for gaming, whereas a PC is meant for various different uses. They are two different beasts. One of the many features of a PC is to game, as well as other things. I don't use my laptop to game, I use it to get online, write, and occasionally edit.

I have my consoles for gaming. I have my smartphone to make calls, text, and get on the internet on the go. All three are different animals.

Trust me, I'm not happy about the rumors on Microsoft and even Sony. But, it's my freedom of choice to not purchase their latest products if I don't like how they operate. Does this mean I'll turn strictly to PC gaming? No. I enjoy having consoles. I'm a collector, I like owning the system as well as the discs that go with it. Or cartridges.

However, it's clear you feel a certain superiority that you have a PC and game specifically on your PC. Good for you, but those who choose to entertain themselves on Consoles and Smartphones aren't wrong for doing so. It's just their personal preference.

theoduck

A console is meant for gaming, whereas a PC is meant for various different uses. They are two different beasts. One of the many features of a PC is to game, as well as other things. I don't use my laptop to game, I use it to get online, write, and occasionally edit.

I have my consoles for gaming. I have my smartphone to make calls, text, and get on the internet on the go. All three are different animals.

Trust me, I'm not happy about the rumors on Microsoft and even Sony. But, it's my freedom of choice to not purchase their latest products if I don't like how they operate. Does this mean I'll turn strictly to PC gaming? No. I enjoy having consoles. I'm a collector, I like owning the system as well as the discs that go with it. Or cartridges.

However, it's clear you feel a certain superiority that you have a PC and game specifically on your PC. Good for you, but those who choose to entertain themselves on Consoles and Smartphones aren't wrong for doing so. It's just their personal preference.
I can't stop you from reading elitism into my comments where none is implied.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
LOL. I also can't stop you from trying to go all FOX News on me. Really? You see these as insults?

LOL, I see them as bashing others for choosing something differently than yourself. You clearly want respect for being so intelligent and getting a PC instead of a console. You are making it sound like console gamers are perfectly fine with the bullplops that Microsoft and Sony are pulling. Guess what, we aren't. But, as I've already stated, it's what we prefer. Just like you prefer to play on the PC. Perfectly fine. But, I've never made snide comments to PC users only because they play on the PC.

And you are insulting me again by roping me in with the likes of Fox News. I think you are the one who needs to learn how to make a report on something with an UNBIASED attitude. Just sayin'.

theoduck

LOL, I see them as bashing others for choosing something differently than yourself. You clearly want respect for being so intelligent and getting a PC instead of a console. You are making it sound like console gamers are perfectly fine with the bullpl*** that Microsoft and Sony are pulling. Guess what, we aren't. But, as I've already stated, it's what we prefer. Just like you prefer to play on the PC. Perfectly fine. But, I've never made snide comments to PC users only because they play on the PC.

And you are insulting me again by roping me in with the likes of Fox News. I think you are the one who needs to learn how to make a report on something with an UNBIASED attitude. Just sayin'.
I do not need respect... and yes your argument tactics resemble FOX's. Calm down. My intent here is to point out that a bunch of rich dudes who don't care about you or me are trying to kill an entire market, not to "get respect" or insult you.

My post is not about you.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I do not need respect... and yes your argument tactics resemble FOX's. Calm down. My intent here is to point out that a bunch of rich dudes who don't care about you or me are trying to kill an entire market, not to "get respect" or insult you.

My post is not about you.

I'm perfectly calm. And I think a lot of console gamers know what is going on. It's pretty big news what Microsoft is trying to do. But, hey, a post on a Skyrim forum should really get the word out, eh?

theoduck

I'm perfectly calm. And I think a lot of console gamers know what is going on. It's pretty big news what Microsoft is trying to do. But, hey, a post on a Skyrim forum should really get the word out, eh?
Well there IS a link to an article in the OP. I saw the article because I clicked a link on the DU gaming forums.

If the Nords had Internet, maybe the Thalmor wouldn't always be keepin' 'em down ;)

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
28c527c779

I think this guy put it exactly how I feel.

This policy is stupid. Its sad to see companies get so mad at people who make 20-odd dollars off of 2 year+ old games that they have to find a way to stop it. I myself have only bought like, 2 used games, and it was for the N64 way back when. What I have done is lent and borrowed games to/from friends to try them out first, almost always buying the game if I truly liked it. (Did this with Halo 2, I remember)

I can see the appeal of consoles and if I was strapped for cash I would get a PS3 for sure. Its just, I think there's way more value and freedom you have with a PC than with a console. A console is really just a watered down PC with some chains on it put on it by Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo so you can only do what they want you to, the OP is not very far off, lol. Your defensive and overly-hostile attitude on the subject is just as laughable as any PC fanfag I've ever seen, Brooklyn.

"But, hey, a post on a Skyrim forum should really get the word out, eh?" If everyone never posted news/discussions because its redundant in the grand scheme of things .... well there wouldn't be many threads.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
28c527c779

I think this guy put it exactly how I feel.

This policy is stupid. Its sad to see companies get so mad at people who make 20-odd dollars off of 2 year+ old games that they have to find a way to stop it. I myself have only bought like, 2 used games, and it was for the N64 way back when. What I have done is lent and borrowed games to/from friends to try them out first, almost always buying the game if I truly liked it. (Did this with Halo 2, I remember)

I can see the appeal of consoles and if I was strapped for cash I would get a PS3 for sure. Its just, I think there's way more value and freedom you have with a PC than with a console. A console is really just a watered down PC with some chains on it put on it by Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo so you can only do what they want you to, the OP is not very far off, lol. Your defensive and overly-hostile attitude on the subject is just as laughable as any PC fanfag I've ever seen, Brooklyn.

"But, hey, a post on a Skyrim forum should really get the word out, eh?" If everyone never posted news/discussions because its redundant in the grand scheme of things .... well there wouldn't be many threads.

I wasn't being hostile. There is a professional way to report on something and clearly the OP does not know how to do that. I merely called out the bullplops.

theoduck

I wasn't being hostile. There is a professional way to report on something and clearly the OP does not know how to do that. I merely called out the bullpl***.
You're still wailin' and moanin'? Wow.

EDIT: My bad on that statement. Had some coooofee. Out of beast form now. No I am not a professional. Everything I have said in this thread is clearly my opinion. If I violated this site's TOS by posting an opinion on a legitimate news article in this thread... my bad.