Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
Okay, okay! Twist my arm, why don't you?

So, The Caller is probably one of the most interesting thralls, if you jump through a few hoops. I went and fought her with my level 34, and then left her without completing the quest. 30 days later, after I'd returned, I found out the whole of Fellglow Keep respawns. And I mean everything. Usually End Tables and things like this will not, but they do here. Well, I decided to jump right into it and Dead Thrall The Caller to aid in fending off these trespassers. I was uniquely impressed that she kept her dual casting Ice Spike, as I'd become accustomed to the less than satisfactory Sparks she uses on my level 40. But, then she kept on disappearing. We'd begin and finish the fight in the main entrance area. Each time I noticed she'd not been killed nor towed in after fast traveling. Turns out, when reanimated this way, The Caller will take on the exact same behavior as when first encountered in life. By this I mean, she'll teleport to her original position in the tower, and leave in her place a Frost Atronach (at level 34).

I haven't yet been able to determine how many times she'll teleport in her undead state. I also do not know how to keep her dual cast Ice Spikes, better than Sparks spell knowledge, after her first teleport. Luckily, one could potentially keep her Ice Spikes, granted they never let her health go under 4/5 (or in that vicinity). Yet, the dilemma is evident. How do you keep a thrall's health from dipping below a percentage? Give them lots of health, I guess. There is also the matter of the Frost Atronach left behind if she does do a tele, and the fact she goes back to Fellglow Keep. All-in-all, quite the nuisance. I wish The Caller would just pick up the phone and meet me half way here... Still a very fun and funny experiment.

My second number to address is this Ulfric business. You know, Harkin? He's actually pretty fun. He'll Disarm, throw hostile Foxes into the air, and continuously taunt the enemy. I do like him.

Relating to the thrall profiling: Honestly, I wish I had been taking notes from the start. That way I'd have masses of notes to upload. At this point, I feel more like a sponge. The information is there, but I need a squeeze to retrieve it.

Oh, right, and Illia! How could I forget? It seems I won't be able to force her to level up. I did doubt it was possible, though, console commands are there... Of course, my level 32 has her as a follower now, and she has her Frost Cloak... I'll most likely compromise and focus on Opal's Illia instead.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
I was thinking you had fully revived her teleportation, shame she seems bugged similar to Conjurors, these NPC's KNOW their spells, at some point upon reanimation, they lose the capability to cast it.

Frustrating but I think Callers teleportation is scripted only in that one room, and not something she can use at her own will like Orchendor. Perhaps a magic pool test on her could get some results but I'm pretty sure she has enough to cast it by default.

Thralls that can reanimate corpses or conjure atronachs are awesome party additions, because they up your party count by 2.

Those are usually the ones I will go out my way to claim!

HouseHosted

I did have an idea while writing that post, but was too tired to actually work at. I'll get back once I've tried out a few variations. If successful, it may be possible to keep her original magicka pool.

And, yea, I do agree. I'm pretty content in assuming she'll only ever teleport around that room. It would be neat if you could trick the game into thinking otherwise, though.

Say, there are thralls that reanimate corpses?

HouseHosted

I've been right and wrong. Not all of Fellglow Keep respawns, but it is possible to keep The Caller's more powerful form... You even get to choose which element she'll be. It's quite similar to Drelas.

So, you went and killed The Caller, left her home, and waited for the next respawn. What do you do now? Get her to teleport by attacking her or using a follower, and then conjure something (a cloak spell may work too). If you kill her at the instant she teleports, she'll become alive again. I know how this sounds, but it's true. In fact, if you kill her at the exact same time she teleports, her voice clips will come back and won't be moaning.

I did all this just outside the entrance to the Fellglow Tower where she spawns. This door should say it requires key. You can actually make your save before and after you kill her, before for in case it doesn't work, and after for convenience. The save after killing her can be used to spawn which element of her you want. And there you have it. A way to keep The Caller's magicka pool intact, including her knowledge of Fast Healing, and Dual Cast Destruction.

When you go and fight her, the fight will transpire in the exact way it did the first time. She'll attack you and teleport at intervals of percentages of her health pool. I am not able to on this character; though, I'd imagine if you kill her in one hit, she'll keep her remaining teleports. The issue with this is, I've determined she has only a finite number of scripted teleports, and will not exceed four (or five-- I lost count). I also don't know why you'd bother to keep these scripted events intact, for she'll return to Fellglow Tower and leave you high and dry.

I am not actually sure what'll happen if you've progressed through the College with teleports remaining... Maybe she'll teleport on the spot... Now that I'm thinking, I would like to try this one day, but that'll be some other time. My last bit of research to do on her is to see if eventually she'll become weak again. I'm crossing my fingers she doesn't. I'm going to hold off on testing this out just yet as well.

edit: By the way, I've been streaming all this over the last couple days. I don't mean to advertise, but I am open to requests, and wouldn't mind sharing through visual demonstration on Twitch. "HasFeet" is the channel.

Last edited:

Hala

Just a thought, can Savos Aren be anchored through reverse pickpocketing, maybe before seeking the Augur or something?

Or is he scripted to disappear nonetheless?

Would want to play around with him in my "nice" magic-only Orc (who's actually my only char that's a Companion! LOL) who I'm thinking of sending off to the dark path of Necromancy JUST to test this out, but it will take a while to spam my soul traps and turn undeads... So... Will I be disappointed after all's been perked and done? :D

Last edited:

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I was thinking about picking up a couple Afflicted for my Poisoner build. Anyone have any experience using the Afflicted. Not really interested in Orchendor as I've used him before and he doesn't vomit much. Is there and ideal level in which to scoop up a couple Afflicted and are they decent thralls?

HouseHosted

Savos has a peculiar quality to him, but he is indeed removed from the game. You'll need to halt progress of the College to keep him. This isn't terrible news, though. You can bug out the game (in vanilla) so that he has more than 1 hp and allow you to trade with everyone as normal.

So, as long as you're under or equal to level 32, know and can cast Dead Thrall, and have bugged out the game, there's almost literally no consequence to keeping him around. Off hand, I can think of a couple bits:

- Cannot enter Labyrinthian
- No Estormo
- No final fight with Ancano
- Mirabelle atronphies and never walks again

There's probably more... To bug out the game, all you have to do is turn Savos hostile as soon as Ancano blasts him away. This is vanilla, mind you. I don't know if this works with patches and DLC.

I know next to nothing about Afflicted. I've done the quest once. Definitely not enough experience to say anything, really. That said, if I remember right, there are some permanent bodies within Bthardamz, and some of the Allicted are stronger than others.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Can someone educate me about about Mind Spiders? Do they make the NPC look all ugly with the spider attached to them and everything?

Staff member
Oh yeah. Kyr's Bounty Letter seems to retain permanency in shop inventories despite being stacked

Hala

Thanks man. With that, guess I'm abandoning Operation Savos Aren Pickpocketanchor.

Sorry to quote from a few months back, but has anyone else discovered other quest items your follower can pick up for you that yields a marker?

In addition to the (2) Ceremonial Weapons, I have (3) Meridia's Beacon and (4) the Ebony Blade. "Anything else?" :)

I was giving this build a read, and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here.. but if you're thralling followers. http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group...rum/topics/character-build-rise-of-the-fallen (...)

The result is you’ve just permanently marked your two thralls with a toggle-able map marker and quest locked their bodies. (...)"

Credit goes to the creator of the build, thralls with quest markers... That is bloody genius.

Staff member
The book from the Boethia Cultist that randomly attacks you. Just don't read it.

Hala

I was thinking about picking up a couple Afflicted for my Poisoner build. Anyone have any experience using the Afflicted. Not really interested in Orchendor as I've used him before and he doesn't vomit much. Is there and ideal level in which to scoop up a couple Afflicted and are they decent thralls?
They still retch a-plenty! as HouseHosted said, their levels differ. As I'm on PS3 and can't open console commands, I just went with just observing which ones outlasted better. There's a post on Page 86 of this thread that got them wearing Dwarven Armor. I stuck with robes though.

LotusEater

They still retch a-plenty! as HouseHosted said, their levels differ. As I'm on PS3 and can't open console commands, I just went with just observing which ones outlasted better. There's a post on Page 86 of this thread that got them wearing Dwarven Armor. I stuck with robes though.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty excited about this next build. Been refining a Poisoner build for a while now which utilizes Miraak's Staff and a lot of Weakness to Poison antics with Zephyr, Poison Rune and Cloaked Poison Spiders and these guys would be perfect additions to the party.

Hala

The book from the Boethia Cultist that randomly attacks you. Just don't read it.
Thanks. I do have a misc quest that tells me to investigate the cultist. I'll have to look for the corpse now, might've been in Solstheim :sadface:

LotusEater, I hope you know how to dupe items, that idea on page 86 of a retcher with Miraak's staff sounds excitingly ...intestinal.

LotusEater

Thanks. I do have a misc quest that tells me to investigate the cultist. I'll have to look for the corpse now, might've been in Solstheim :sadface:

LotusEater, I hope you know how to dupe items, that idea on page 86 of a retcher with Miraak's staff sounds excitingly ...intestinal.

Holy crap... they will use the staff. That never even occurred to me.

HouseHosted

Gidian, I'd suggest using the search function for Mind Control Spiders. I know Adam has posted several bits on it. It would just be a matter of locating the posts. I seem to recall them not being too far back either. I've used the search function a couple times now to track down little bits here and there.

Also, in my experience, Kyr's Bounty letters don't anchor corpses. I've tested them a couple times (to be certain) and, at least, my bodies always disappear with them.

That's pretty neat there are other quest marker body locators... I bet you could use the books from Hitting the Books too. Problem is, it would stunt your College timeline.

In other news, I've been running around with Dastan, and have tried to find a way to keep Ancano around. It's been another couple hours of experimentation, and no luck at all. Funny thing, I think Hala just solved it... What if I got Ancano to pick up a quest item? ... Goodness me! I am excited to try this.

edit: Oh, wait.... Ancano is a pure mage, isn't he? Darn it!

edit II: Oh, my! But, Salma and Eisa aren't pure mages... I'll be back with some results.

Last edited:

HouseHosted

Well, I am disappointed. Seems I can't get a thrall to pick up the Ebony Blade. (Yea, I was finally able to start the quest, by some miracle.) I was really hoping these quest weapons wouldn't behave in the same way Keening does... Back to square one, I guess. Househosted: 0 - Scripted to disappear thralls: 2.

Staff member
The only detail I really want is: do they alter the appearance of the victim? If they do, then a giant spider suckling on their neck is a deal breaker for me.

LotusEater

The only detail I really want is: do they alter the appearance of the victim? If they do, then a giant spider suckling on their neck is a deal breaker forthe me.

I've experimented with all of the spiders and the most useful ones I've found are any of the cloaked element spiders, the oil spiders and any poison spiders for my own personal build. The mind control spiders are terrible in normal play from my experience and they are ugly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts