Should PC, PS3 users boycott Dawnguard???

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Just like Call of Duty, PC and PS3 users will say they will not buy Dawnguard but in the end they'll buy it.

And in my opinion Bethesda doesn't treat PC and PS3 badly, sure Xbox gets more patches and the dlc quicker then the other two, however that's because Microsoft is willing to give extra money to Bethesda.

Like look at the lack of patches for the PS3, I'm pretty sure it costs Bethesda money to do updates for Skyrim, and if I'm not mistaken the money that Microsoft pays Bethesda, part of it goes to working on patches.

And by the way, while the Dawnguard dlc is fun, your not missing out. Waiting a little over a month is not the end of the world.

And its been two days since Microsoft's exclusive deal with Bethesda ended. Learn to have some patience.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
That's the thing. Bethesda never said Dawnguard would be available on July 26th. That was merely an assumption by some PC and PS3 users.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Personally, I think people should boycott more things if they are unsatisfied by the way they are jerked around. Even though xbox players got the dlc earlier because Microborg is a monopoly, look at what we got. A bug infested mess.

I can't continue Dawnguard with two of my character builds until they patch it, because of quest breaking glitches. One of them is the glitch where the moth priest becomes hostile against everyone in castle Dawnguard. It makes it impossible to continue unless you use a master level calm spell that affects the moth priest, who gets leveled up to around 35th maximum level. There are several more quest breakers in Dawnguard too. All you have to do is look under the Dawnguard and Help threads to see that.

I wouldn't blame pc and ps3 players for boycotting the dlc, at least until everything gets patched. Maybe it will at least make them learn to play-test and patch games and dlcs, before releasing them early out of greed.

Jersey Dagmar

Remember that the DLC was beta tested by some of the Xbox community. I simply love how everyone complains about the glitches and bugs, but fail to realize how difficult of a task that is for a game of this size. The majority of video games released on the market today have bugs and glitches. Hell, even games in the past have as well. And it only makes sense that the more advanced the games became, the more issues that arose.

Anyone who purchases anything from Bethesda should know the problems their games face. When I bought Skyrim, I knew full well what could happen. It was a risk on my end. No one forced my hand in purchasing the game or the DLC. And a few hundred (if you are that lucky) boycotting Bethesda really isn't going to bother them in the long run.

Zatam Zar

.esrever ni ti daeR
You go ahead and do that, and i will tell you how it runs on my PC.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I won't boycott Bethesda. But I did send them a letter today making a request that for future games and DLC that they try to have more communication and treat all their users equally as much as possible. I also told them I approved of Microsoft money milking. I don't like Microsoft or their products. I only have a spare windows PC for comparability reasons if I can't splice things to work with Linux. But to the topic. Bethesda should try to communicate with their costumers more because at the end of the day WE are the reason they make money at all. Microsoft is just capitalizing on another companies popularity with the "business" they do with Bethesda. But hey maybe with the newer games they'll throw us a bone. Or at least some fair treatment. Even if Microsoft pays for them to give earlier DLC Bethesda can at least try not to cut off the other 2/3s of their players.

ALSO STOP BRINGING MODS INTO THESES KINDS OF DISCUSSIONS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE PC GETS BALANCED OUT WITH XBOX'S EARLY RELEASES! MODS ARE IN NO PART SOMETHING BETHESDA MAKES OR CONTROLS! THEY ARE PURELY BECAUSE OF NON-BETHESDA PROGRAMMERS AND THEREFORE ARE NOT VALID WHEN COMPARING BETHESDA TREATMENT OF OTHER DIFFERENT SYSTEMS!

Tyrone

Here's a post I found on youtube that I can agree with about complaints with bethesda treatment of PS3 players, from a PS3 player -

Quality? Whats the difference in ether PS3 and Xbox quality, NOTHING. People are exactly the same on both, graphics are exactly the same on both (except exclusives), Gameplay is same on both.
PS3-Better singleplayer exclusive
Xbox-Better multiplayer exclusive
PS3-Free online
Xbox-Early major name DLCs
See where im getting at here. They are equal. No "Xbox sucks" or "PS3 is bad"

Squirrel_killer-

there actually is one September 11 but im totalyy with you
That was never given buy Bethesda. That was just one lone forum post that some idiot made up and there is no citation on where he got that nor have I found anything official.

Jersey Dagmar

I won't boycott Bethesda. But I did send them a letter today making a request that for future games and DLC that they try to have more communication and treat all their users equally as much as possible. I also told them I approved of Microsoft money milking. I don't like Microsoft or their products. I only have a spare windows PC for comparability reasons if I can't splice things to work with Linux. But to the topic. Bethesda should try to communicate with their costumers more because at the end of the day WE are the reason they make money at all. Microsoft is just capitalizing on another companies popularity with the "business" they do with Bethesda. But hey maybe with the newer games they'll throw us a bone. Or at least some fair treatment. Even if Microsoft pays for them to give earlier DLC Bethesda can at least try not to cut off the other 2/3s of their players.

ALSO STOP BRINGING MODS INTO THESES KINDS OF DISCUSSIONS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE PC GETS BALANCED OUT WITH XBOX'S EARLY RELEASES! MODS ARE IN NO PART SOMETHING BETHESDA MAKES OR CONTROLS! THEY ARE PURELY BECAUSE OF NON-BETHESDA PROGRAMMERS AND THEREFORE ARE NOT VALID WHEN COMPARING BETHESDA TREATMENT OF OTHER DIFFERENT SYSTEMS!

Once again you are making it out as is Bethesda and Microsoft are doing some dirty business. Well, it's not. Sony can do the same thing, if they should chose to, but they don't. And the Mods are a valid point. I've seen some incredible mods, and majority of the folks who get the game on the PC get it for the mods. I know if I had the game on PC I wouldn't be too heartbroken about getting the DLC yet.

Docta Corvina

Skyrim: Dawnguard 30-Day Xbox 360 Exclusivity Has Now Exceeded 30 Days

"We have not announced Dawnguard for any other platform, nor given a timeline for any such news. If we have news, I promise I'd tell you," Bethesda vice president of marketing Pete Hines wrote on Twitter yesterday.

But in May, Bethesda told me that the Xbox 360 would have a 30-day exclusive on the DLC. Dawnguard was first released on June 26. Today is July 27.

I've reached out to Bethesda to ask why the Xbox's exclusivity period has exceeded 30 days. I'll update if they respond.

I find it curious myself that there are allegedly no plans - at least ones that they're ready to acknowledge. I too would think it has to do with not constricting themselves timewise while they try to debug and patch issues as much as they can. However, I know it is frustrating. I'm lucky enough to have the game on both Xbox and PC, and I too can vouch for the many issues they'll be wanting to at least look into before releasing for the other platforms.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Boycott Bethesda... for a lack of a PC or PS3 Dawnguard release to date... yeah... no. If I was going to boycott Bethesda it would have been for publishing Brink... now that was something cry about. Haha. The fact of it is game companies will always tailor to those who pay out the cash. Don't get mad at Microsoft for digging into their pockets. Go after Sony or whoever else for not digging deeper into their pockets. I own Skyrim for both the PC and PS3 and yet I'm not up in arms over this. Why? Because I have plenty of other games to play on both. Enough to keep me more than busy.

Jersey Dagmar

Well said, Uther Pundragon. I have Dawnguard and I haven't even finished it. Not saying it's boring, but it was released when my interest in Skyrim was starting to fade anyway. The PS3 and PC users will get the DLC at some point. Bethesda never stated it would be available on July 26th. So, holding them to that date is most hilarious.

Squirrel_killer-

Once again you are making it out as is Bethesda and Microsoft are doing some dirty business. Well, it's not. Sony can do the same thing, if they should chose to, but they don't. And the Mods are a valid point. I've seen some incredible mods, and majority of the folks who get the game on the PC get it for the mods. I know if I had the game on PC I wouldn't be too heartbroken about getting the DLC yet.
It is not the Dawnguard DLC I'm upset about I'm talking about what they did with the Oblivion DLC and the constant delays. The lack of communication for further DG release is not connected to Microsoft it is purely Bethesda doing bad business practice.

Squirrel_killer-

Well said, Uther Pundragon. I have Dawnguard and I haven't even finished it. Not saying it's boring, but it was released when my interest in Skyrim was starting to fade anyway. The PS3 and PC users will get the DLC at some point. Bethesda never stated it would be available on July 26th. So, holding them to that date is most hilarious.
I was hoping that by July 26th that they would've said something like "The PC Dawnguard release is planned for this date." And a PS3 DLC on a Thursday just wont happen. The PSN Store updates on Mondays.

Appaullo

Wow. Just wow.
Yes, this sucks for PC/PS3 ysers that its delayed. However a lot of PS3 users will laugh, hoot, and gloat when they get something that X-Box 360 does not. I listen to a lot of IGN podcasts and one of the editors (I forget who, sorry) is always going on and on about gamers with a sense of entitlement. I always used to think "Dude, just shut up about it already." But you know what, hes got a point. We as gamers (in general - not all of us) are the biggest bunch of children. With our "Boo-hoo did'nt get this" and our "Nyah-nyah I got this and you didnt!"
Wow. Sorry to anyone offended by this. It sucks, but its life.

Appaullo

Jersey Dagmar

It is not the Dawnguard DLC I'm upset about I'm talking about what they did with the Oblivion DLC and the constant delays. The lack of communication for further DG release is not connected to Microsoft it is purely Bethesda doing bad business practice.

Why complain about Oblivion, anyway? It's over and done with. And I believe the reason as to why Bethesda isn't releasing a date for Dawnguard is because they don't want to put themselves on a deadline. Another complaint is bugs and glitches, and when Bethesda is actually taking the time to address these issues, they get slammed for taking too long. You can't have it both ways. Either allow them the time to address bugs/glitches or demand them to release things as early as possible and then it's a mess.

Squirrel_killer-

Why complain about Oblivion, anyway? It's over and done with. And I believe the reason as to why Bethesda isn't releasing a date for Dawnguard is because they don't want to put themselves on a deadline. Another complaint is bugs and glitches, and when Bethesda is actually taking the time to address these issues, they get slammed for taking too long. You can't have it both ways. Either allow them the time to address bugs/glitches or demand them to release things as early as possible and then it's a mess.
I'm not complaining about Oblivion its the principle of what happened for the Oblivion DLC. PS3 got 2 out of 7 or 8. If they even gave a vague release date it would be better. And I fully understand Microsoft paid for the early release and everything. I understand business. But they need to also at least recognize that there are more player then just on XBox who they are providing their product to. If you look at the companies and games that Sony pays for similar kinds of things, all these games, as a series, often predate the XBox era completely. However my issue is that long term treatment is poor. Not the right here and now but I want thing after month to two months of the release of a new feature to be leveled out and even as much as Bethesda can make it across all three consoles. I have for other games where PS3 got a release for something early and XBox had then gotten delayed complained on the behalf of XBox users when I have no reason to.

And you can't tell me the if XBox users had to wait for a still unknown amount of time while PC and PS3 got Dawnguard they wouldn't be upset as well. Unlike you I'm not looking at this as where money is going I look at how Bethesda is operating as business and a provider of a product, on their every practice and every part of their business. That includes product, product quality, service, service quality, how successful they are at making money (and mind you I congratulate Bethesda with their deal with Microsoft that would've been a reasonable amount of money that likely was used to further advance Dawnguard, or another DLC or game beyond what it would've otherwise), and how they treat their costumers. They all score high in all but how they are treating their costumers. To me its the only flaw in the entire company that can be improved with simple low cost methods.

Those methods being things like, avoiding past upsets with issues like just never releasing a DLC on one of three platforms repeating in the future, better communicating their intent, crushing rumors about release dates if they get to widespread before they get out of hand to prevent this kind of upset with Dawnguard, and trying to aim to have most bug fixes ready when any future timed exclusives are finished if possible to avoid further delays when they can. These are not multi-thousand dollar ideas. The are as difficult as typing a few words on their blog and being aware of what their costumers feed back is beyond just their own site. The more difficult of them is the trying to get bug fixes mostly finished in time for the end of timed exclusives and just releasing a DLC on all platforms since those require some programming.

I'm sure if XBox user where watching as PS3 got everything and you got only limited DLCs in a few games you would get pissed off. Before you yell at us PS3 user for "not understanding its just business" think about how you would feel in our shoes.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
The fact of the matter is that Bethesda can run their company however they see fit. Or ZeniMax. They own Bethesda I think. And no amount of boycotting or complaining or anything will change that fact. Sure, it may suck for some individuals and they could possibly lose a little business but it isn't going to bankrupt them so I doubt they care.

Jersey Dagmar

Bro, I'm not reading that giant wall of text. I had a PS3 at one point. The PS3 gets a lot of love from it's exclusive developers like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. Since I sold my PS3, I won't be able to play any of those great exclusives. And the PS3 has gotten 360 only exclusives ported over it. Like Mass Effect and Bioshock, just to name two.

So, the PS3 gets love. Oh boo hoo, you didn't get all the DLC that the 360 did for Oblivion. Honestly, the only DLC you need for Oblivion is Shivering Isles. Is Horse Armor really that bloody important to you? Must be.

And at the end of the day, developers are allowed to do what they want. Whether you like it or not. You aren't entitled to anything.