Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
Why do people spend most of the time in this topic hanging out of his ass? I could be arguing with 5 different people, including Drunkenmage, yet I might aswell ignore the other 4 because they just follow what he says due to reputation(Not that the reputation is wrong of course, he DOES know what he's talking about). Though not everything he say should be taken as pure 100% truth, the book argument, the 'racism' argument, the 'slavery' argument, the 'troop strength' argument are all swayed by his love for the Empire. He doesn't segregate people, he doesn't enslave people, he isn't racist, the stormcloaks are more than capable of defending Skyrim, and as for the Markarth incident, you must be speaking from pure bias if you think Ulfric would murder Nordic women & children for the sake of it.
What is one of the many things that are different about Mage's posts rather than others? He provides the most sources and the most evidence more than any of us. Could he be wrong on some things? Damn right. But when he posts multiple sources and sometimes irrefutable evidence, it all comes down to wether you want to believe it or not.
Excuse me for my observations, but I have noticed that most of your statements are just claims without proof. It seems you actually request more proof than you actually give.
Again forgive me for stating my opinion, but even if Mage is wrong on something, who are people going to believe more? Someone who is not entirely right but provides a majority of facts in their arguments proving their point? Or someone who gives out statements that could be true but without anything that differs or agrees?
In the end if it comes down to it, it's just politics. People are going to believe the facts over the claims.
This was in no means a accusation or an insult, I was merely inputting my observation.
I said that in my post lol, he is very knowledgeable on the subject, which in turn attracts "followers", as in people who don't really know if what he said is true or not but because he has a reputation they just follow suit. But no EVIDENCE or FACTS about the topics I mentioned have been given, which then goes back to the "followers" of Drunkenmage just assuming it's correct because he said so, which doesn't result in very interesting debates. For example the bear of markarth, he uses that as factual evidence on the incident when nothing is mentioned ANYWHERE else about it, only once is something said that is related to the book, and that is the war ended 20 years ago, 5 years after the book states.. So the only thing mentioned outside of this 'proof' is something that discredits it..
Oh and the accusation that Stormcloak Jarls are the only ones who want to deal with Giant's even though they're peaceful, yet Jarl Balgruuf is doing the same thing o_O
Can you quote DrunkenMage saying that "The Bear Of Markarth" was 100% fact?

Lewsean

What is one of the many things that are different about Mage's posts rather than others? He provides the most sources and the most evidence more than any of us. Could he be wrong on some things? Damn right. But when he posts multiple sources and sometimes irrefutable evidence, it all comes down to wether you want to believe it or not.
Excuse me for my observations, but I have noticed that most of your statements are just claims without proof. It seems you actually request more proof than you actually give.
Again forgive me for stating my opinion, but even if Mage is wrong on something, who are people going to believe more? Someone who is not entirely right but provides a majority of facts in their arguments proving their point? Or someone who gives out statements that could be true but without anything that differs or agrees?
In the end if it comes down to it, it's just politics. People are going to believe the facts over the claims.
This was in no means a accusation or an insult, I was merely inputting my observation.
I said that in my post lol, he is very knowledgeable on the subject, which in turn attracts "followers", as in people who don't really know if what he said is true or not but because he has a reputation they just follow suit. But no EVIDENCE or FACTS about the topics I mentioned have been given, which then goes back to the "followers" of Drunkenmage just assuming it's correct because he said so, which doesn't result in very interesting debates. For example the bear of markarth, he uses that as factual evidence on the incident when nothing is mentioned ANYWHERE else about it, only once is something said that is related to the book, and that is the war ended 20 years ago, 5 years after the book states.. So the only thing mentioned outside of this 'proof' is something that discredits it..
Oh and the accusation that Stormcloak Jarls are the only ones who want to deal with Giant's even though they're peaceful, yet Jarl Balgruuf is doing the same thing o_O
Is that really necessary considering the numerous paragraphs arguing that the book is true lol? You're just backing up my claims even more...

General Charles Xander

Is that really necessary considering the numerous paragraphs arguing that the book is true lol? You're just backing up my claims even more...
On the contrary, you are claiming that he considers the book 100% fact yet I haven't seen evidence he said so. Regardless, UESP claims the events Ulfric took part of were true. At least that's what it looks like.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
the book argument

"You are with us, or you are against Skyrim" was the message on Ulfric's lips

Galmar: "If he's not with us, he's against us."
Ulfric: "He knows that. They all know that."

the 'racism' argument

Racial slurs by Stormcloaks themselves.

"Stay out of trouble, lizard." - Stormcloak Guards
"What do you want... cat?" - Stormcloak Guards

"It's a new day in Windhelm. The Stormcloaks are gone, and so is their prejudice." - Scouts-Many-Marshes

Various racial comments by Stormcloak supporters.

the 'slavery' argument

If the Stormcloaks take the Reach, Thongvor will replace Igmund as Jarl. When Markarth is under his control, unlike Jarl Igmund, who uses caution when dealing with the Forsworn, Thongvor reveals that his intention as Jarl is to violently suppress and enslave the rebelling dissidents by sending them to Cidhna Mine as reparation for the rebellion. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thongvor_Silver-Blood

the 'troop strength' argument

"Most of the Legion is tied down on the border with the Aldmeri Dominion. " - Tullius

"That's what comes of trying to win a war with a bare handful of legions." - Tullius

Galmar: "Our men are getting massacred out there. Damn Imperials."

The tenacity of the Imperial Legion is legendary. We need to be ready for them." - Jod

I have word of a new Imperial force assembling in the south, ready to advance on our position as Pale Pass is clear. - Stormcloak missive

He doesn't segregate people

Did you know it was his decree that forbade the Argonians from living inside the city walls? I hope in his next life, he's reborn as an Argonian forced to live in a slum because of some bigoted Nord dictator.

the stormcloaks are more than capable of defending Skyrim

"What I fear, is that the Thalmor will see our victory here and turn greater attention to our shores." - Ulfric

For brief periods, one ruler has managed to unite all of Skyrim, but the Nord character is one essentially of conflict, and the confederacies never last. - Pocket Guide to the Empire

Lewsean

On the contrary, you are claiming that he considers the book 100% fact yet I haven't seen evidence he said so. Regardless, UESP claims the events Ulfric took part of were true. At least that's what it looks like.
So he's arguing for something that he doesn't believe is true? Great! Like I said, I welcome you to prove with FACTS that it did happen but of course nobody can, because it didn't.

General Charles Xander

So he's arguing for something that he doesn't believe is true? Great! Like I said, I welcome you to prove with FACTS that it did happen but of course nobody can, because it didn't.
You see? There you are again asking for facts instead of providing them. By doing this and when receiving the information you disregard it as bias or false, you only make others seem correct.

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
Am I the only one who thinks keeping Argonians out of the city also has to do with preventing them fighting with the dunmer??

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

Prove with facts that Sancre Tor happened, prove with facts that the Battle of the Red Ring happened, prove with facts that Talos the God is the joining of three beings, prove with facts that the College of Winterhold caused the great collapse, prove with facts that Riften was burnt to the ground and rebuilt around eighty years ago.

Nobody can 'prove' majority of things, the only way something is considered fact is when it isn't contradicted by another book, someone outright denying it happened, or seeing something with our own eyes in-game.

To quote what someone on UESP mentioned once about lore in TES. Absence of evidence, isn't evidence of absence.

No one talking about something, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Lewsean

"You are with us, or you are against Skyrim" was the message on Ulfric's lips

Galmar: "If he's not with us, he's against us."
Ulfric: "He knows that. They all know that."

And that make him a baby killer? Nice logic.

the 'racism' argument

Racial slurs by Stormcloaks themselves.

"Stay out of trouble, lizard." - Stormcloak Guards
"What do you want... cat?" - Stormcloak Guards

"It's a new day in Windhelm. The Stormcloaks are gone, and so is their prejudice." - Scouts-Many-Marshes

Various racial comments by Stormcloak supporters.

The Jarl that replaces Ulfric uses the EXACT same god damn lines as you posted.
And why do you never comment on the blatant xenephobic attitude of Tullius?

the 'slavery' argument

If the Stormcloaks take the Reach, Thongvor will replace Igmund as Jarl. When Markarth is under his control, unlike Jarl Igmund, who uses caution when dealing with the Forsworn, Thongvor reveals that his intention as Jarl is to violently suppress and enslave the rebelling dissidents by sending them to Cidhna Mine as reparation for the rebellion. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Thongvor_Silver-Blood

Okay so let me get this straight, using savages that practice human sacrifice, worship hagravens and make it quite clear they'll destroy the Reach before they let it go as silver miners is bad. But at the same time Nords who worship Talos and get abducted to be KILLED, is fine? Double standards.

the 'troop strength' argument

"Most of the Legion is tied down on the border with the Aldmeri Dominion. " - Tullius

"That's what comes of trying to win a war with a bare handful of legions." - Tullius

Galmar: "Our men are getting massacred out there. Damn Imperials."

The tenacity of the Imperial Legion is legendary. We need to be ready for them." - Jod

I have word of a new Imperial force assembling in the south, ready to advance on our position as Pale Pass is clear. - Stormcloak missive

I never doubted the Imperial strength, it's your assumption that the Nords are a bunch of amateurs who don't know how to swing an axe and number in the 100's or whatever your estimation is.

He doesn't segregate people

Did you know it was his decree that forbade the Argonians from living inside the city walls? I hope in his next life, he's reborn as an Argonian forced to live in a slum because of some bigoted Nord dictator.

Nobody is forced to live anywhere, I get sick of hearing people complain about Windhelm and wishing for an Imperial victory yet they'll gladly stay there.. Because NO OTHER hold in Skyrim will house that ammount of refugee's.. Explain to me how Windhelm is the most racially diverse city, if Ulfric is a racist?

the stormcloaks are more than capable of defending Skyrim

"What I fear, is that the Thalmor will see our victory here and turn greater attention to our shores." - Ulfric

For brief periods, one ruler has managed to unite all of Skyrim, but the Nord character is one essentially of conflict, and the confederacies never last. - Pocket Guide to the Empire

What has that got to do with the ability to defend Skyrim? The Empire couldn't defend Cyrodill with a full force of Legions, what makes you think you can defend both regions now? Interal conflict between holds has NOTHING to do with the ability to defend the region as a whole.

General Charles Xander

Umm... My phone is slow and messing up. I accidentally gave Qahnaarin a bad manners rating. How do I get rid of it? I'm sorry, I meant to hit reply!

Lewsean

Prove with facts that Sancre Tor happened, prove with facts that the Battle of the Red Ring happened, prove with facts that Talos the God is the joining of three beings, prove with facts that the College of Winterhold caused the great collapse, prove with facts that Riften was burnt to the ground and rebuilt around eighty years ago.

Nobody can 'prove' majority of things, the only way something is considered fact is when it isn't contradicted by another book, someone outright denying it happened, or seeing something with our own eyes in-game.

To quote what someone on UESP mentioned once about lore in TES. Absence of evidence, isn't evidence of absence.

No one talking about something, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
1. The author is a forsworn sympathizer which is obvious from his only other book.

2. The author was not present at the time the events took place, how do we know this its not mentioned anywhere? From his words its obvious he would not fight with/for Ulfric so if he where there then according to his own words he would have been murdered along with everyone else - unless what he says is a lie.

3. The author is an Imperial and has an imperial agenda to make Ulfric look bad. In the book he says:

"We allowed them to worship Talos, in full violation of the White-Gold Concordat with the Aldmeri Dominion (which recognizes the elven belief that Talos, as a human, cannot be one of the Divines). In jeopardizing the treaty that so many sacrificed for during the Great War, the Empire was wrong. But what choice did they have, I ask you? Against the Bear of Markarth, Ulfric Stormcloak, "no" is not an answer."

Now if you look at the Wars page of the UESP you will see under the Battle of the Red ring:

"Critics note that the terms of the Concordat are almost identical to those of the original ultimatum presented by the Thalmor prior to the war."

So he is disappointed in Ulfric's actions "jeopardizing the treaty" yet the Empire could have avoided a war all together if they signed the first one. The "treaty that so many sacrificed for during the Great War" was all in vain, they sacrificed for the empire to sign away what they started fighting for in the first place.

4. Apart from the book, there is no other in game evidence to support any of the claims made in the book. You think maybe one or two people who lived in Markarth at the time would have remembered such a massacre? The author claim that the Forsworn were mostly peaceful during their rule, yet when you first enter Markarth a Forsworn is murdering an innocent women. Every single Forsworn you meet in the wild will attack and try to kill you on sight, and for what reason? The Forsworn are savages and worship hagraven's and make human sacrifices, this is how they live outside Markarth why would they be any different inside?

The book states:

"True, some crimes were committed against former Nord landowners (often those accused of being the harshest towards their native workers), but on the whole the Forsworn ruled their lands fairly"

So basically how I interpret that - they killed a whole bunch of Nord's but don't don't pay any attention to that, they are only rebels that fight our glorious empire, Ulfric massacred these peaceful people!

My thoughts are:
- Some forsworn where most likely killed/executed
- Every women and child killed is a huge overstatement.
- This book is an imperial attempt to damage the Ulfric's name and cause, and to paint the empire in a better light.

A brilliant response given by somebody on UESP, basically sums up my points in one post.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Am I the only one who thinks keeping Argonians out of the city also has to do with preventing them fighting with the dunmer??

Except they're not seen being hostile with each other, no dialogue between the Argonians and Dunmer in Windhelm show evidence they'd be violent. In fact an Argonian was supposed to drink at the Dunmer corner club, but doesn't due to a scripting error.

We also don't see it at Riften which also has Argonian/Dunmer populations. Both cities had an influx of refugees. The conflict between the Dunmer and Argonians happened nearly two hundred years ago. Of course some small raids happen every so often, but that happens to every province. Orcs raid Skyrim, Nords raid Cyrodiil. Often it is due to larger groups of organized bandits than governments.

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
Also where will the dominion invade skyrim from if the stormcloaks win? Is the empire gonna sit back while entire armies move through Cyrodiil? And then even if they do, they're completely bottlenecked at pale pass. Not through morrowind. From sea? The northernmost point in tamriel being invaded from the southernmost culture? Even if they prepare, the north coast is gonna be hard to move across and looks pretty easy to defend if you walk around there in skyrim, with all the icebergs and cliffs.

General Charles Xander

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim

Except they're not seen being hostile with each other, no dialogue between the Argonians and Dunmer in Windhelm show evidence they'd be violent. In fact an Argonian was supposed to drink at the Dunmer corner club, but doesn't due to a scripting error.

We also don't see it at Riften which also has Argonian/Dunmer populations. Both cities had an influx of refugees. The conflict between the Dunmer and Argonians happened nearly two hundred years ago. Of course some small raids happen every so often, but that happens to every province. Orcs raid Skyrim, Nords raid Cyrodiil. Often it is due to larger groups of organized bandits than governments.
Fair enough, but to be honest ulfric is pretty damn busy, plus there's a killer on the loose in windhelm. He's not gonna risk even more violence within the city, and don't tell me an imperial would know anymore about the situation of the Argonians and dunmer than he would

Lewsean

Also where will the dominion invade skyrim from if the stormcloaks win? Is the empire gonna sit back while entire armies move through Cyrodiil? And then even if they do, they're completely bottlenecked at pale pass. Not through morrowind. From sea? The northernmost point in tamriel being invaded from the southernmost culture? Even if they prepare, the north coast is gonna be hard to move across and looks pretty easy to defend if you walk around there in skyrim, with all the icebergs and cliffs.
I've mentioned this before, but apparently they can get from SSI to Skyrim without the need for supplies, and at the same time magically avoiding all contact with Hostile forces in Hammerfell/High Rock, AND arrive at Skyrim shores completely unseen, after all this they're going to take Skyrim without conflict. :sleepyface::sleepyface:

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
I've mentioned this before, but apparently they can get from SSI to Skyrim without the need for supplies, and at the same time magically avoiding all contact with Hostile forces in Hammerfell/High Rock, AND arrive at Skyrim shores completely unseen, after all this they're going to take Skyrim without conflict. :sleepyface::sleepyface:
That's the part that's always danced around. After the stormcloaks have won, more nords will join the army, fortify cities and roads, build a decent navy (I know it doesn't show up in skyrim but lore wise skyrim does and should have a pretty good navy). Nords and redguards are the best warriors on tamriel so if the redguards can do it, so should the nords

Lewsean

That's the part that's always danced around. After the stormcloaks have won, more nords will join the army, fortify cities and roads, build a decent navy (I know it doesn't show up in skyrim but lore wise skyrim does and should have a pretty good navy). Nords and redguards are the best warriors on tamriel so if the redguards can do it, so should the nords
Don't be silly, we're nothing without our Imperial overlords to save the day... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TheQahnaarin

Son of Skyrim
Also, hammerfell, skyrim alliance? And if high rock is cut off from Cyrodiil, throw them in there too. That is a pretty mutually benefitting and fearsome alliance there

General Charles Xander

Fair enough, but to be honest ulfric is pretty damn busy, plus there's a killer on the loose in windhelm. He's not gonna risk even more violence within the city, and don't tell me an imperial would know anymore about the situation of the Argonians and dunmer than he would
I find it ironic that Ulfric says something along the lines of "How could he defend Skyrim if he couldn't even defend himself?" When questioned about High King Torryg, yet he has a aerial killer in Windhelm killing people! :p