• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
Ok, there is a longer story than just Braith's skin color for this question, and for why I am so dazzled about it.

First of all, I have always played Skyrim on a PS3, and never hated anyone more than Braith. Not even Delphine, not even Nazeem, not even that guy whose name I keep forgetting, who always attacks me when I leave Whiterun.

Anyway, recently I was allowed to buy my own pc, thanks to my somewhat good grades: good enough for me to buy it, not good enough to get it as a gift: 15/16/17s out of 20 doesn't matter much...

The first thing I do is install Skyrim and get the killable children mod. Of course, killing Braith would require more than just getting out my leg of goat mace and killing her in the middle of town. It had to be something a lot more special. So, like all troubled nerds do, I spend 10+ ingame hours stalking the girl, until she goes home, and only then, in that sad moment when I unlock the door with console commands due to my laziness (don't judge me, PS3/Xbox controls are a lot better for lockpicking imo and I completed the game fairly on a ps3 before) I realized her parents were Amren and Saffir. I seriously had no clue... I mean, she is a nord girl, or at least white like one.

But there is more! With a pc, it also became a lot easier for me to notice NPCs chatting to each other, for some reason, and I could notice Saffir is kind of a book worm. Really... A book worm that marries a soldier? Plus, Saffir is all anti-violence when she talks to Braith about fighting with the other kids. And, let's face it, Amren seems a lot friendlier than Saffir, even before you retrieve his sword, and Braith isn't friendly at all. The only trait she shares with her 'father' is the violent nature.

It might have been a Bethesda mistake... It might be me, because I have too little friends and too much time... It might have been on purpose... Thoughts?

Ivory

Let's Player
Probably just a bethesda oversight, but for the sake of fun, I've always assumed that as well. Made it all the funnier when I commanded Odahviing to grab Saffir and send her flying into the sky. I always hated her. Wanting to leave her husband because his father means that much to him.

Writes-Many-Posts

Probably just a bethesda oversight, but for the sake of fun, I've always assumed that as well. Made it all the funnier when I commanded Odahviing to grab Saffir and send her flying into the sky. I always hated her. Wanting to leave her husband because his father means that much to him.

Braith disrespects her elders too. :eek: Saffir was one of the last NPCs of Whiterun I met, because she spends so little time on the streets I hardly noticed her. Therefor I couldn't even realize she wanted to leave her husband.

Ivory

Let's Player
Braith disrespects her elders too. :eek: Saffir was one of the last NPCs of Whiterun I met, because she spends so little time on the streets I hardly noticed her. Therefor I couldn't even realize she wanted to leave her husband.

Yeah, if you catch their argument, she says if he tries to step outside the gates of whiterun to find his father's sword, she won't be there when he gets back.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
This is no mistake. I think this is a wise demonstration of the fact that when it comes to having kids, you never know what you'll get, and what you get often surprises you, in good ways or bad. You love your children, regardless.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Braith's race is listed as Redguard, but she is Redguard because of Saffir. I agree she doesn't look Redguard at all. I would say Saffir either cheated or they adopted her.

I initially got Saffir and Ahlam confused. Ahlam is Nazeem's wife and I always feel bad for her. Not because she's married to Nazeem, but because she's apparently being neglected. Which is why I got the two confused. Amren is obesssed with the sword and his father's legacy that it seems like he ignores his family.

The two of them, Saffir and Ahlam, should run away together or something. o_O

Lucid

I've always suspected that Saffir cheated on Amren, and he realized the truth when Braith was born. That's why he stopped adventuring, because he knows that he can't trust his wife and he doesn't want to end up raising another wretched kid that isn't his. It gives a completely different perspective on some of his dialogue.

"Sometimes I miss the soldier's life, but when I hold my "daughter" in my arms, I know I made the right choice." (unsaid: "because that horrible girl is clearly the result of my leaving my wife alone")
"Listen, Braith... Why don't you talk to your mother about this, okay?"

Lucid

My happily-ever-after headcanon is as follows: Saffir, Braith and Nazeem are killed in a vampire (or dragon) attack. Amren and Ahlam (Nazeem's wife) bond over how awkward it is to pretend to grieve for a spouse you don't miss. Sparks fly, Amren returns to his adventuring ways, Ahlam has a man she's proud of and starts spending more time at home than at the temple, and all of Whiterun wishes them well. In a few years there are adorable little redguard kids running all over town.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
This is no mistake. I think this is a wise demonstration of the fact that when it comes to having kids, you never know what you'll get, and what you get often surprises you, in good ways or bad. You love your children, regardless.
Sure, love 'em regardless, unless, of course they behave like Braith, in which case I send 'em to boarding school until they're of age and then kick 'em out. Don't even let 'em come home for the holidays. She'd be much easier to love if I never had to see, talk or deal with her.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Braith is a Redguard her race in the CK is RedguardRaceChild, The children have a far lighter skin complexion then the adults she is not the only one that kid you can adopt in Dawnstar is also a Redguard and his skin is the same colour as braiths

Daelon DuLac

Braith is a Redguard her race in the CK is RedguardRaceChild, The children have a far lighter skin complexion then the adults she is not the only one that kid you can adopt in Dawnstar is also a Redguard and his skin is the same colour as braiths
She may be listed as Redguard, but she isn't. There is no way she's Redguard. Of course, every single child in the game looks exactly the same anyhow, so who really cares.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
She may be listed as Redguard, but she isn't. There is no way she's Redguard. Of course, every single child in the game looks exactly the same anyhow, so who really cares.
She is a Redguard, her skin may be lighter then an adult redguard but it is sure as hell a lot darker then the other children

Daelon DuLac

She is a Redguard, her skin may be lighter then an adult redguard but it is sure as hell a lot darker then the other children
You must be on PC. As noted by he original poster, she is as white as the driven snow on PS3 and exactly the same colour as every other child in the game.

Writes-Many-Posts

You must be on PC. As noted by he original poster, she is as white as the driven snow on PS3 and exactly the same colour as every other child in the game.

The man has a point, I have played Skyrim in both platforms and her skin is darker on a pc.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
You guys are forgetting that Saffir is still her mother.

That means yes, her race is still Redguard. And yes, her skin color should be darker than the other Nord children.

Don't mean her daddy ain't Jon Battle-Born.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Don't mean her daddy ain't Jon Battle-Born.

Jon doesn't have the stones to pull that off. Idolaf is more likely. Or one of the Companions. Maybe Skjor - and the attitude is hereditary.

Maybe... I'll make it in my mind that it was Ulfberth. And this has driven a long standing rift between Adrianne and him. Thus, allowing me to have a fling with her because they're in a loveless marriage.

Well, plops, this thread may just have become one of the most useful things on the forum for me.

And Jon Battle-Born is so totally the guy on campus who sits under a tree and plays acoustic guitar. That bookworm Saffir wouldn't be able to resist.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Just found this thread. LOL!

I have never thought about any of it before now, although Whitrun is probably my least visited town in the game (yes even behind Shors Stone) so I dont really get involved in the town politics or gossip. Ask me about Markarh, Solitude or Riften though and I'll tel you some juicy rumors and gossip ;)

Writes-Many-Posts

I have never thought about any of it before now, although Whitrun is probably my least visited town in the game (yes even behind Shors Stone) so I dont really get involved in the town politics or gossip. Ask me about Markarh, Solitude or Riften though and I'll tel you some juicy rumors and gossip ;)

Really? Whiterun is easily the city I spend more time around. Maybe because of the easily spotted smelter, or because the guards like you a lot sooner than in the rest of the places, or simply because the weather is better there. Either way, its Whiterun and Riften where I spend more time, being Riften because of the blacksmith's loot in the basement every few days respawning.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

Really? Whiterun is easily the city I spend more time around. Maybe because of the easily spotted smelter, or because the guards like you a lot sooner than in the rest of the places, or simply because the weather is better there. Either way, its Whiterun and Riften where I spend more time, being Riften because of the blacksmith's loot in the basement every few days respawning.

Yeah that poor Riften blacksmith always gets robbed in my thief playthroughs as well. haha

I just don't like a lot of the Whitrun people. Braith, Nazeem, The Companions, Uthgerd, The loud Talos Priest... not to mention that everyone treats you like you are a noob to Skyrim and give you easy as quests or teach you how to smith a leather bracer.

Markarth is where it's at imo. It has a smelter, 2blacksmiths, the coolest (actually 2nd coolest behind Sybill) Court Mage, a complex Forsworn spy network and political conflict and a huge concentration of guards that really give you a run for your money if you feel like going on a killing spree :p Not to mention lots of Orcs and the closeness of 2 Orc Strongholds so GroBenjii feels right at home!