• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeReese

This will sound pretty crazy, but I did it successfully for the first 12 levels. Clamshells and the open-topped grain sacks do not respawn. Until I was ready to move into the Priory of the Nine, I used the large open-top sacks in front of Jensine's Good-As-New Merchandise. Made things easy for selling/storing.

Despite initially being disappointed that the wiki says nothing in the ArchMage's quarters is safe, I've tested the furniture. The chest is not safe and not intended for storage. The dresser at the foot of the bed is not safe, but the night stand next to the bed has not respawned on me. I put one thing in, waited 3 days, checked it again, waited 3 more days, put a few things in, went on my merry adventures, and still no respawn. It's been probably 60 days in-game and all I've put there is still there.

Also, on the imperial waterfront, if you board the pirate ship and can pick the Captain's chest, I do not believe that respawns, although I'm pretty sure the other furniture does. Kill the pirates and pirate their ship. Free bed and chest, just give it a quick test first.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
This will sound pretty crazy, but I did it successfully for the first 12 levels. Clamshells and the open-topped grain sacks do not respawn. Until I was ready to move into the Priory of the Nine, I used the large open-top sacks in front of Jensine's Good-As-New Merchandise. Made things easy for selling/storing.

Despite initially being disappointed that the wiki says nothing in the ArchMage's quarters is safe, I've tested the furniture. The chest is not safe and not intended for storage. The dresser at the foot of the bed is not safe, but the night stand next to the bed has not respawned on me. I put one thing in, waited 3 days, checked it again, waited 3 more days, put a few things in, went on my merry adventures, and still no respawn. It's been probably 60 days in-game and all I've put there is still there.

Also, on the imperial waterfront, if you board the pirate ship and can pick the Captain's chest, I do not believe that respawns, although I'm pretty sure the other furniture does. Kill the pirates and pirate their ship. Free bed and chest, just give it a quick test first.
Hey, I'd kill the Pirates just for being such a rude bunch of so-and-so's, especially that captain. Hmm... I wonder... late at night... have a really high sneak ability... maybe a "shock" to the system with my touch... no mess, no blood... what to do with the bodies... :)

JoeReese

Save first, in case it was a fluke, but I chopped one right in the street. Nobody seemed to mind.

Daelon DuLac

I mainly wanted to know because I do not intend to make the mistake of buying a property early in the game (say by level 10) like I did on my last character Echo (who I lost due to a glitch :sadface:). I need someplace to store all these Welkyn Stones and Varla Stones and soul gems. Boy they add up. What am I going to do with 50 Welkyn Stones at level 7? I haven't even gotten all my recommendations yet (although I'm doing pretty well with Skingrad, Chorral (??) and Bruma at this point. I think I only have 2 more to go, yes? I have to head over that direction anyhow to find some doppelganger for a drunk in Chorral and kill somebody to get in to the DB (hope I don't have to use that dern knife. I like my shock-em method better. Less messy).

JoeReese

Welkynd stones are essentially a 1 lb full magicka potion. You can't charge soul gems or enchant with them. I keep one or two on me, for when I run out of magicka in a fight.

If you're over there on the drunk quest, make sure you talk to the old guy in the same bar. He'll send you on a quest to help his sons fight goblins. The reward is...uh...quite nice, and it's a short, easy quest.

Daelon DuLac

Welkynd stones are essentially a 1 lb full magicka potion. You can't charge soul gems or enchant with them. I keep one or two on me, for when I run out of magicka in a fight.

If you're over there on the drunk quest, make sure you talk to the old guy in the same bar. He'll send you on a quest to help his sons fight goblins. The reward is...uh...quite nice, and it's a short, easy quest.
Allready did that. I love that bonus at the end. Don't use it often, but it certainly does come in handy.

I like the stones to recharge as opposed to potions. My regen is pretty good so it really has to be some sort of situation before I need a recharge. Like, yesterday, went in to an Aelid ruin when, low and behold - it's full of vampire's. Now I use pretty high-level electric spells at level 7 (20+ damage per and am looking forward to my Fingers of the Sky kicking in in 2 points) as well as touch, but, with 6 vamps at the same time and not wanting to get infected, I actually used 2 recharges! Serves 'em right though. Mess w/Luna and you're moon days are over folks. Plus I got a real pretty burgandy and black outfit to wear when I meet the counts and countesses. :)

Daelon DuLac

BTW: Luna is Breton, white-haired, blue eyed, very pale dressed in the Blue set of Mage robes with the hood. Very pretty. Just wish I could get mage robes in something other than blue, grey or black. I would wear the scarlet Dawn robes, but that just might get confusing. Would like the white mage robes, but I can't find a white hood. I'll keep looking though.

JoeReese

Nice.

I've been experimenting with spells and armor a bit more, and here are some things I've learned.

With my light armor, mithrel cuirass, guard helmet, elven gauntlets, leather boots, Leyawiin shield, I had an armor rating of about 12-13. I created a combination bound armor spell, using all the components except shield, which brought me up to a 30 when used, but it removed the shock shield I had on my boots. Trying to add fire, frost, and shock shield to my bound armor failed miserably, unless I was happy with a whopping 5%. Then I played with the standard shield spell, which I managed to be able to create pretty highly for relatively cheap magicka cost, and I threw a 15 pt shield on my Leyawiin shield, with a sigil stone. Suddenly, my base armor is up around 30 and casting the shield spell puts me in the 80s. So I get better armor rating than I do in a full set of bound armor, plus I get to keep all the magic and resistance enchantments on my worn gear. Shield spell with existing armor > bound armor, hands down.

JoeReese

BTW: Luna is Breton, white-haired, blue eyed, very pale dressed in the Blue set of Mage robes with the hood. Very pretty. Just wish I could get mage robes in something other than blue, grey or black. I would wear the scarlet Dawn robes, but that just might get confusing. Would like the white mage robes, but I can't find a white hood. I'll keep looking though.
LOL, I call them the Liberace robes.

Daelon DuLac

LOL, I call them the Liberace robes.
Agree. But with a name like Luna and being practically Albino, I figured she'd look cool. The problem would be keeping them clean. Can you imagine wandering those caves and sewers and trying to keep them white? Sheesh. The drycleaning alone!

Daelon DuLac

While currently I use the Defend spell all the time (and there are higher level ones, but I haven't gotten around to them yet), I use no armor at all (it interferes with my spell efficiency which I prefer to keep at 100% - thanks for that tip btw). Did you know that it lowers your spell effectiveness to 87% just by putting on a pair of leather boots! Yikes! It's no wonder on Echo that he couldn't get his effectiveness of 70%. He was tricked out! Oh well, at least I can put up ghosts to distract the foes until I can zap 'em!

JoeReese

I don't know how they compute that, though. In Daedric (bound) armor, I'm in the 80s, but with all my light armor and shield on, I'm still at 95%.

JoeReese

I'm getting ever-more confused with the mechanics of Oblivion, though. Seems things just don't work the way they say they work.

If I'm over loaded, I can stack a 50 pt Ease Burden, a 100 pt custom feather, and a 150 pt Pack Mule spell, and be in the 600 lb area; but if I've only got 50 lbs of stuff on me, the same 3 spells never put my limit over 415. Pickup a bunch of stuff, recast, and I'm back at 600. I just don't get it.

Daelon DuLac

I don't know how they compute that, though. In Daedric (bound) armor, I'm in the 80s, but with all my light armor and shield on, I'm still at 95%.
Weird. I don't know how it calculates either, but, I was testing with armor and couldn't get it above 90% unless I only wore gauntlets and that wasn't worth it.

JoeReese

I wonder if it has to do with level or magical skill too? The wikis just confuse me on the issue, but that 100 pt drain health seems to still instant-kill everything it hits, including Dremora Kynmachers and Daedroths.

Allready did that. I love that bonus at the end. Don't use it often, but it certainly does come in handy.

I like the stones to recharge as opposed to potions. My regen is pretty good so it really has to be some sort of situation before I need a recharge. Like, yesterday, went in to an Aelid ruin when, low and behold - it's full of vampire's. Now I use pretty high-level electric spells at level 7 (20+ damage per and am looking forward to my Fingers of the Sky kicking in in 2 points) as well as touch, but, with 6 vamps at the same time and not wanting to get infected, I actually used 2 recharges! Serves 'em right though. Mess w/Luna and you're moon days are over folks. Plus I got a real pretty burgandy and black outfit to wear when I meet the counts and countesses. :)

And I thought I was the only one who dressed up for special occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeReese

"If you're going to the Blue Palace, you might want to rethink that outfit." (you're standing there in full armor)

Daelon DuLac

"If you're going to the Blue Palace, you might want to rethink that outfit." (you're standing there in full armor)
Hey, that's not as bad as standing there in exactly the same outfit as she gives you that you've acquired elsewhere because you needed something to wear when you gave all your stuff to the Elf for Diplomatic Immunity! Oooo - like yours is so much better than what I'm wearing.

BTW: Now have 3 characters in Oblivion that I could always use advice on since you've been such a great help:

1) Luna - Mage, female, Breton - concentrating on Alteration, Destruction and Restoration and alchemy (she's sneaky too and has invitations from the DB & TG to join) - no armor, robes, Chillrend and bow (although she doesn't really use it or Chillrend very often)
2) Echo Isaiah - Agent, male, Breton - concentrating on archery, alteration, illusion, one handed and alchemy - light armor, steel sword
3) Brutus - Warrior, male, Imperial - heavy armor, steel claymore

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts